Author Topic: Your favourite chip shop snack  (Read 23502 times)

Re: Your favourite chip shop snack
« Reply #50 on: 30 January, 2011, 11:08:13 pm »
I do generally prefer chips cooked in fat rather than vegetable oil, which is all you get round here - so I'll give that one to The North TM as they're still unhealthy enough to cook them that way.....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #51 on: 31 January, 2011, 08:46:19 am »
If not haddock and chips then a fishcake. That's not a fishcake made from mashed up potato and fish but instead one that's and from the bits of fish too small to sell normally sandwiched between slices of potato then deep fried. Lovely. Oh and mushy peas on the side please.

As an aside how far does the phrase "one of each" and "two of each" referring to fish and chips once or fish and chips twice spread ?

P.S what's a savaloy ?
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Clandy

« Reply #52 on: 31 January, 2011, 08:50:52 am »
P.S what's a savaloy ?

Seriously?  :o

We used to buy saveloy and chips and a pickled onion with our 12p school dinner money in the early 70s. How times have changed, now that would be more than £2.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #53 on: 31 January, 2011, 08:53:47 am »
Haggis, chips, with sottysoss.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #54 on: 31 January, 2011, 09:11:59 am »
P.S what's a savaloy ?

We used to buy saveloy and chips and a pickled onion with our 12p school dinner money in the early 70s. How times have changed, now that would be more than £2.

Seriously. I just googled it now to find out what it was. They dont have those in chips shops in North Yorkshire and never have so far as I can remember. Same for Newcastle and environs. Is it a southern thing ?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #55 on: 31 January, 2011, 09:13:55 am »
Saveloys are found in Newcastle. A saveloy dip is a reet luxury.
It is simpler than it looks.

Clandy

« Reply #56 on: 31 January, 2011, 09:15:55 am »
P.S what's a savaloy ?

Seriously. I just googled it now to find out what it was. They dont have those in chips shops in North Yorkshire and never have so far as I can remember. Same for Newcastle and environs. Is it a southern thing ?

I've no idea. I've always taken it for granted that saveloys were standard chippy fare.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #57 on: 31 January, 2011, 09:20:40 am »
Edinburgh chippies do them, although they normally just call it a smoked sausage.  When I was living there, Edinburgh schoolkids used to call it a "Dutch dong".
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

« Reply #58 on: 31 January, 2011, 09:22:32 am »
We have sausages battered or not but they aren't those bright red things google chucks up and are never called saveloys.

« Reply #59 on: 31 January, 2011, 12:44:04 pm »
P.S what's a savaloy ?

Seriously?  :o

I think saveloys are generally a southern thing, but that's not to say they are unavailable in chippies in other parts of the country. Same with gravy. All though no chip shop serves it in my home town, I do know of some places that do. I just can't be arsed to make a 15 mile round trip to get some....

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #60 on: 31 January, 2011, 12:51:21 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/BlK62rjQWLk&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/BlK62rjQWLk&rel=1</a>.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #61 on: 31 January, 2011, 02:21:46 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/BlK62rjQWLk&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/BlK62rjQWLk&rel=1</a>.

I dunno why, but when he throws up on the cleaner's back has me in stitches every time  :)

« Reply #62 on: 31 January, 2011, 03:38:43 pm »
I can't remember the last time I went into a fish and chip shop, must be years ago

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #63 on: 31 January, 2011, 04:57:38 pm »
I used to love fish & chips.  Well, I did live in Skipton, and my dad got them once a week from Eastwoods.  I had the same anticipation about them every time (less often) we got them after we'd moved to Derby, but was disappointed every time.

Since forswearing the meat, I avoided for a while, but started going back when I realised a lot of places had started using vegetable oik instead of rancid lard :sick:

Still, choice is limited if you want no dead things in your wrap up, so it's been chip butties.  The chips have to be just so - not to thick or fine, and not too soggy or crisp - and are ideally topped with scraps.  Loads of salt & vinegar, soaking into the breadcake.  Just right.

AJs in Hebden Bridge serve tempura vegetables with their chips, which is grand, but I've never tried the halloumi & chips option :P
Getting there...

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #64 on: 31 January, 2011, 05:01:38 pm »
The Ship near Richmond Park does battered halloumi, chips & mushy peas.  Fancy a ride?  :D

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #65 on: 31 January, 2011, 05:05:47 pm »
Say, sometime in early March?  :D
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #66 on: 31 January, 2011, 05:07:53 pm »
Clarion, Clarion, Clarion what are we going to do with you ? You're a Yorkshire lad and should know that only beef dripping will do for frying fish and chips. Frying them in vegetable makes tasty chips but its just not the same, you might as well get your chips from a Chinese takeaway.
I know your a vegetarianism but surely some things are so important that one must make an exception.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #67 on: 31 January, 2011, 06:46:17 pm »
Our local chippie does a "special" which I think started life as a pensioner's special. It's a rather smaller portion of cod and chips for (at the moment) £3.30. It's plenty big enough for me.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #68 on: 31 January, 2011, 06:56:33 pm »
That's my problem with chippies.  No matter how small a portion of chips I ask for (even small cone), it's always to big for me.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #69 on: 31 January, 2011, 07:29:23 pm »
Since forswearing the meat, I avoided for a while, but started going back when I realised a lot of places had started using vegetable oik instead of rancid lard :sick:
At the Clifton chippy they use dead posh vegetables.  :D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Clandy

« Reply #70 on: 31 January, 2011, 07:33:28 pm »
Just had a delicious sav and chips meal. Saveloy, chips and a choice of beans/mushy peas/gravy/curry sauce. £2.50

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #71 on: 31 January, 2011, 08:33:26 pm »
The Ship near Richmond Park does battered halloumi, chips & mushy peas.  Fancy a ride?  :D

Certainly do! :-*
Getting there...

Clandy

« Reply #72 on: 31 January, 2011, 08:36:49 pm »

Deep fried cheese? And there was me thinking the US had the 'clog your arteries in a day' market cornered.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #73 on: 31 January, 2011, 08:41:22 pm »
Yeah... it's food for once in a while after a few laps of Richmond Park!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #74 on: 31 January, 2011, 08:43:25 pm »
I thought Scandinavians were big on deep-fried cheese, brie or camembert.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.