Author Topic: Solar gadgets + AA's  (Read 14978 times)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Re: Solar gadgets + AA's
« Reply #75 on: 20 April, 2011, 02:00:01 pm »
Damn, the 600 is qualitatively better.  Poop and gadget shopping.  :P
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #76 on: 20 April, 2011, 02:21:45 pm »
Damn, the 600 is qualitatively better.  Poop and gadget shopping.  :P

I did say.  In several places.   :facepalm:

What it won't do is act as a battery pack to provide USB power.

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #77 on: 20 April, 2011, 02:45:58 pm »
Oh, so it's pretty similar to the BL700 then? (Sorry if you already covered all this)
I like the Battery Logic one, only drawback is the LCD display is slowly failing element by element on mine.

And darn and blast it! The power monkey won't simultaneously charge and be charged either! I swear someone said it worked well for that. Be jeez, it seems I'm cursed to spend my whole life forever buying these wretched things and discovering their shortcomings.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #78 on: 20 April, 2011, 02:58:00 pm »
Oh, so it's pretty similar to the BL700 then? (Sorry if you already covered all this)

I don't own one, but the BL700 appears not to be made of cheese.  I'm also not sure about its power requirements.  The SCH600F will run on 5V at USB spec currents while charging cells independently.  I haven't yet found anything else that will.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #79 on: 20 April, 2011, 03:17:34 pm »
I have a BL700 and far from being made of cheese, it is in fact made of geeky battery WIN.

But it's a desktop device and not really the sort of thing I'd take touring
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #80 on: 20 April, 2011, 03:31:02 pm »
Simultaneous battery and gadget charge seems to just not be done. I'm going for draining or swapping my batteries when it's dark. ;)

OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #81 on: 20 April, 2011, 03:42:06 pm »
The only one I know that declares it can do both charging and supplying at once is the B&M reservoir (link) but that's extremely expensive for a relatively low capacity.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #82 on: 20 April, 2011, 06:06:56 pm »
If it'll go both ways (ooer madam) then capacity won't matter so much because you'll be charging on the go.  I think.

Looks like I'll have to take the 2-cell phone chargette as well as big bertha, as bertha won't charge devices with only 2 cells loaded.  The "two in the phone, two in the gps/camera/dancing flower" model needs that.  Ah well, it's tinylight.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #83 on: 03 May, 2011, 04:51:12 pm »
Of course, what happens next is that the gadget you're charging has a sulk, ignores any chargers, and runs flat.  BAH! >:(  Only just got the contacts onto the SIM and the device backed up to SD before it died.

What's that survival trope about preps?  "Two is one and one is none"?  Time to hit the backstop plastic. 

« Reply #84 on: 13 May, 2011, 12:20:04 pm »
does this make sense for example....

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r154/n4zou/lights/DynamoUSB-2.jpg

My reading suggests the designer was using the impedance of the batteries to regulate the current to the USB rather than as a battery charger per se..., but battery charging a side benefit....  If I arranged the 4 NiMH in a battery case that's compatible with the Hope - maybe the one with PP3 connectors ?

Ach, I wouldn't plug my shiny smartphone into that.  That 6V nominal battery voltage is way outside USB spec.

As a circuit for charging batteries it'll work fine though.  They'll just start to cook (but relatively slowly, as it's not all that much power) when they're full.

/ snip /

There isn't a simple solution to this one.  I'm still testing a fairly complex one.   :-\

Would it be 6V though ?    Isn't the nominal voltage off NiMh something like 1.2V each so 4.8V for 4 ?
I could be all wrong here....

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #85 on: 13 May, 2011, 12:33:43 pm »
Would it be 6V though ?    Isn't the nominal voltage off NiMh something like 1.2V each so 4.8V for 4 ?
I could be all wrong here....

Fair point, until you bung a set of Duracells in on the third cloudy day.

Mind you, the bottom end of USB spec is 4.75V, so it's not going to stay in spec for long.

« Reply #86 on: 14 May, 2011, 02:54:08 pm »
And darn and blast it! The power monkey won't simultaneously charge and be charged either! I swear someone said it worked well for that. Be jeez, it seems I'm cursed to spend my whole life forever buying these wretched things and discovering their shortcomings.

Portapow claim that you can do the simultaneous charging bit.(the premium pack at least).

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #87 on: 15 May, 2011, 10:11:10 am »
Portapow claim that you can do the simultaneous charging bit.(the premium pack at least).

I found their description a bit vague, but I could never get my PortaPow premium to both supply power and charge itself up at the same time.

« Reply #88 on: 15 May, 2011, 10:22:24 am »
I'm going to experiment with mine later.   I'll run it and the phone down then plug first the phone, then the charger.

I had a Freeloader which claimed that it too could multi task.  It blew something inside when I tried it.    :(    Appropriate name methinks...

« Reply #89 on: 16 May, 2011, 09:43:15 pm »
I'm going to experiment with mine later.   I'll run it and the phone down then plug first the phone, then the charger.

I have not been able to conclusively answer this question yet.   I'd say from my observations that it was not simultaneously charging the phone through the battery as well as the battery itself. 

« Reply #90 on: 16 May, 2011, 09:47:18 pm »
Actually, sod it.  I've emailed Portapow and asked them. 

« Reply #91 on: 16 May, 2011, 10:00:58 pm »
I know this is wrong thread for this, because it's not solar, but my dyno hub charger (Dahon Reecharge) can both charge up and power/recharge something simultaneously. I've been utilising this to the full on the longer Audaxes.

I start the ride in the morning with a fully charged Garmin and also a fully charger Reecharge (it has a mains charger socket too) and run the Garmin as normal from it's own internal battery.
At about 5pm I plug in the Garmin in to fully recharge it at the same time as turning on the current from the hub to the Reecharge battery pack.
By the time it's starting to get dark I have a fully charged Garmin and Reecharge. I then unplug the Garmin, turn off my reecharge switch and let my hub power my light (the light has it's own auto sensor switch and is left permanently switched on senso). I run the Garmin with backlight on constantly, and when it eventually says it's battery is getting low I plug it into the Reecharge again (at this point not connected to the hub) and allow it to be powered/recharged for the rest of the night.
When day breaks I find the Garmin is at least 3/4 charged and the Reecharge still has some charge stored, so if I was on a multi-day event I could just turn the hub back on at this point and recharge it all to start over.
It takes a little bit of thought process to do this but even on PBP I think I will manage. The only thing I found I had to do was molish a micro switch from Maplins components so I can turn the cable from the hub to the Reecharge on and off easily from the bars. This is the only safe way of stopping the reecharge receiving current when you are using your light instead, because the current modulator unit needs to send incoming current somewhere or it fries it's own innards. Dahon haven't really thought this through because in theory you would be constantly fiddling with spade connectors at your hub which is full of FAIL.

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #92 on: 17 May, 2011, 10:53:15 am »
I know this is wrong thread for this, because it's not solar, but my dyno hub charger (Dahon Reecharge) can both charge up and power/recharge something simultaneously. I've been utilising this to the full on the longer Audaxes.

Opps yes I'm guilty of side-tracking this thread too  :-[

I hadn't spotted the ReeCharge, thanks for mentioning it.
From the description, it seems very similar an integrated version of the B&M E-Werk and Cache battery, but slightly higher capacity and includes a wall adapter. Hmmmm.

One other question:
This is the only safe way of stopping the reecharge receiving current when you are using your light instead, because the current modulator unit needs to send incoming current somewhere or it fries it's own innards. Dahon haven't really thought this through because in theory you would be constantly fiddling with spade connectors at your hub which is full of FAIL.

Ugh yuck. Is this circuit frying something mentioned in the manual, or through bitter experience? Seems odd that having an additional load on the hub should cause problems down-stream in the charger/ voltage regulator.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #93 on: 17 May, 2011, 11:25:54 am »
HK tried a Reecharge in parallel with a Solidlights driven from a Shimano dynohub for a while and has quit using the Reecharge.  She was getting less than optimal performance from both the battery and the headlight.  Feline's bodge overcomes most of the problem but HK wanted a plug-and-play system, not something that needs management.  We might consider solar options if we lived in a coutry with more sunshine.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #94 on: 17 May, 2011, 02:27:01 pm »
Ugh yuck. Is this circuit frying something mentioned in the manual, or through bitter experience? Seems odd that having an additional load on the hub should cause problems down-stream in the charger/ voltage regulator.

Sounds more like the use of the light is a red herring, and it's the usual zener clamp cooking itself when you go particularly fast for any length of time problem  :-\

« Reply #95 on: 17 May, 2011, 02:54:51 pm »

I think it's something that Dahon perhaps didn't realise when they designed the product, because there is a warning sheet slipped into the package in addition to the instructions telling you not to disconnect the Reecharge battery unit and leave the modulator (which is supposed to be fork mounted and permanently fitted to the bike, connected.

Personally I wanted the option of leaving the spades at the hub permanently connected via piggyback spades along with my light, but removing the Reecharge from the bike or simply turning it off to reduce resistance in the hub whenever I liked.

As Kim mentions, this requires a little bodge involving some kind of connectors in-line (Tamiya connectors from Maplins are ideal) and also a switch in-line before the current regulator.

I have got round this by keeping both the modulator and the Reecharge inside a small bar bag and having a tiny Maplins switch attached to the outside of the bag so I can turn things on and off at will. I'm not all that good at electronic fettling but I managed it with a cheapo soldering iron and a bit of spare dynamo lighting cable.

It is possible to run a dyno light and the Reecharge at the same time so long as you're doing a reasonable speed, but it isn't ideal and just isn't really necessary to since you can make sure your Reecharge is fully charged at dusk and the combo of a fully charged Garmin and a fully charged Reecharge battery pack can easily see you through the night. The Reecharge can charge anything with a USB cable, so handy for phones and ipod etc. if your touring. I can even charge my Kindle :)

« Reply #96 on: 04 June, 2011, 10:59:20 am »

I had a Freeloader which claimed that it too could multi task.  It blew something inside when I tried it.    :(    Appropriate name methinks...

I've got a Solar/Power Gorilla combination.  It's a bit big for most people but I rather like gadgets and that means charging things.  I tried the experiment of plugging the battery unit into the solar panel and charging something, my phone I think, from the battery unit.  As far as I can tell, the result depends upon the brightness of the light.  In standard British conditions, the phone charged (slowly) but nothing changed with the battery pack.  In bright sunlight, both units received some charge.

During my recent outing, I was carrying the solar panel strapped to the top of the trailer with the battery pack tucked inside.  Seemed to work well (unless it was pouring with rain!) and I charged the bits that needed charging in the evening / overnight.  If I stopped early enough then I could use the panel to charge one item and the battery pack to charge another.  Greedy, what?

I'd still like to have the backup of a dynamo so I've been watching Kim's thread with interest.

« Reply #97 on: 04 June, 2011, 11:04:44 am »
I'm going to experiment with mine later.   I'll run it and the phone down then plug first the phone, then the charger.

I have not been able to conclusively answer this question yet.   I'd say from my observations that it was not simultaneously charging the phone through the battery as well as the battery itself.  

Actually, sod it.  I've emailed Portapow and asked them.  

And Portapow say that you need at least 1A output from your charger for simultaneous charging and running a gadget.   I guess that I need to buy another usb charger, and, it's unlikely that I'll be able to charge and power simultaneously from the dynohub whilst cycling.  

Having tried a 1A charger as suggested my smartphone can eat battery faster than the Portapow can charge it in this configuration. :o  ::-)  :D

« Reply #98 on: 06 June, 2011, 02:32:17 pm »
Aldi .  9th June.  

ALDI - Thursday Special Buys 9th June 2011    

Wonder how good that will be ?    Worth  £12.99  ?

« Reply #99 on: 06 June, 2011, 02:52:58 pm »
Another product I came across recently was

M172 Bicycle charge controller USB (Mini B)

Available in UK here  M172 Bicycle charge controller USB (Mini B)

Reading this   http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/reviews/board/message/?thread_id=213301&page=1  it sounds like the output voltage control was not up to the job on USB devices, but what I rather like about the concept was the integrated switch between light and USB.   

It sounds like it would fulfil my #1 criteria of charging AAs if one connected up the appropriate USB battery charger like the one Kim recommends upthread - presumably that wouldnt care too much about occasional out of spec voltage excursions ?