Author Topic: Level Crossings  (Read 7621 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Level Crossings
« Reply #50 on: 08 February, 2020, 04:26:45 pm »
Thank you Yorkie
This is what's great about YACF someone, somewhere knows stuff!
And not just on the obvious topics; it's a community of cyclists rather than a cycling forum.  :thumbsup:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #51 on: 08 February, 2020, 10:49:46 pm »
Keeping track of trains up to a failsafe, safety critical standard *is* apparently rocket surgery.
Rocket 'surgery'?

'Rocket engineering', surely.

This joke is now in orbit.

Also, the joke[1] became real back in 2018: https://spaceflightnow.com/2018/12/11/russian-eva-45a/

[1]
(click to show/hide)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #52 on: 09 February, 2020, 06:21:34 am »
One of my ex-colleagues used the phrase"come on, its not rocket science" at n environmental audit of a USAnian facility that did...

Yes, you've guessed it :facepalm:
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ian

« Reply #53 on: 09 February, 2020, 05:30:33 pm »
A friend of mine is (or was1) a rocket scientist. She was dead set on marrying on brain surgeon just for this reason2.

1Turns out the majority of rocket science jobs concern stuff that goes bang on earth or near to it, unpleasantly for those in the vicinity.

2Surgeons, it turned out, tend to be egotistical jerks. But points for trying.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #54 on: 09 February, 2020, 05:43:26 pm »
Getting rid of level crossings is a nightmare for those who can't do stairs.

Stairs are probably the biggest cause of injury on the railways after level crossings...

Stairs in general are just dangerous. They are one of the most dangerous things we interact with in every day life in the home. It's not helped that the design is such a compromise. They could be made a lot safer if they were designed to have one set for going up, an one for going down.

Curiously you also get interesting variation across age groups and also across countries with where people get hurt on stairs.

Obviously the roads are more dangerous overall. But if stairs were invented today, they'd never get past a health and safety evaluation...

J

--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

ian

« Reply #55 on: 09 February, 2020, 06:13:29 pm »
I got the better part of £1000 out of Southern trains some years back when I landed painfully on my coccyx on un-gritted stairs. Evidently, weather forecasts were for other people and despite the obvious problem none of the station staff were qualified to put grit on the platforms and steps.

Reminds me of the other week, passing through West Croydon station, someone had spilled a drink and there was a little warning board next to it. Six hours later? It was still there, unmopped. Literally a ten-second task.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #56 on: 09 February, 2020, 10:09:48 pm »
Keeping track of trains up to a failsafe, safety critical standard *is* apparently rocket surgery.
Rocket 'surgery'?

'Rocket engineering', surely.

This joke is now in orbit.

Also, the joke[1] became real back in 2018: https://spaceflightnow.com/2018/12/11/russian-eva-45a/

[1]
(click to show/hide)
That link is disappointing. I thought it was going to be a case of emergency brain surgery performed on a rocket.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #57 on: 09 February, 2020, 11:08:04 pm »
Try this link for a case of emergency rocket brain surgery from the Apollo era -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4TXNZW3JBo&ab_channel=ScottManley

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #58 on: 12 February, 2020, 12:13:31 pm »
That link is disappointing. I thought it was going to be a case of emergency brain surgery performed on a rocket.
I'm sorry, Dave, I can't do that.
Not especially helpful or mature