Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 508006 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Cue that wondrous rhyme of yesteryear:

Holy, holy, holy
Not in guacamole
Nor in a frijole
Thy countenance we see
But on a tortilla -
Bless Saint Sensimilla!
There we get to see ya
Etched eternally.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

I totted up my "five a day", just to check, and so far I'm at 21. Although one of those is a combination of herbs and spices.

That should keep you going.... ;D

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I totted up my "five a day", just to check, and so far I'm at 21. Although one of those is a combination of herbs and spices.

I don't think that's feasible if a nominal portion is ~80g.

1.6kg produce in a day...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Crisps do count as part of your five a day, no?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

hellymedic

• Just do it!
As much as chocolate oranges do... (Seasonal Fruit chez nous)

Srsly Potatoes apparently don't count, even if microwaved and eaten unpeeled without added fat.

I don't think that's feasible if a nominal portion is ~80g.

1.6kg produce in a day...
I'm working on handfuls. I weighed my breakfast after draining the excess water and it was 1.2kg. That was brown rice, red lentils, mushrooms, spring greens, carrot, quinoa, raisins, and herbs/spices. While it was cooking I had some fruit, apple, orange, banana, and some nuts.
I'd have that twice a day, sometimes three, changing the ingredients, and fit in a bowl of oat porridge with berries and raisins/currants.
Plus more fruit in between and maybe some whole meal toast with jam/marmalade/marmite.

ian

Crisps do count as part of your five a day, no?

Yes, and each flavour counts individually towards the total.

1.2 kg of breakfast! Visiting the toilet must be like something out of Dambusters.

1.2 kg of breakfast! Visiting the toilet must be like something out of Dambusters.

Fucking terrifying if it bounces ...

I am convinced the vieux mimolette has been toned down and is made less stone like (and flavoursome), because 'elfin safety.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you have lost nothing.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Don't play with your food!

IMG_2805_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

IMG_2807_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

I don't thnk Mrs P was tremendously impressed.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
I am convinced the vieux mimolette has been toned down and is made less stone like (and flavoursome), because 'elfin safety.

With you there, though I dunno about H&S: I reckon the producers are slaughtering it a bit too young.  Same goes for Vieux Moulin.

We-e-e-e-l. I bought some last week, admittedly in Auchan, but that was never an issue previously. I'm used to apologising for asking for it. It was supposed to be 24 month. But she cut it. OK, the skin was tough, but after that? You really shouldn't be able to cut old mimolette like that.

Mmmm. Sweetbreads* a bit like a spongy chicken nugget.
Quite pleasant, but I can’t see me troubling my butcher with an order.

* served with sliced duck breast, The Union Tavern in Islington.

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

hellymedic

• Just do it!
St Pancreas delicacy!

Served in a brandy and cream sauce, in a galette. Wonderful.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Always loved Ambrose Bierce's definition for ris de veau sauce financière - the smile of a calf served in the sauce of a she-banker.

Ris de veau is thymus, though.  Dunno if they still serve it these days: BSE kinda knocked the market on the head in the 90s.

St Pancreas delicacy!

Glande cuisine, so to speak...
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Always loved Ambrose Bierce's definition for ris de veau sauce financière - the smile of a calf served in the sauce of a she-banker.

Ris de veau is thymus, though.  Dunno if they still serve it these days: BSE kinda knocked the market on the head in the 90s.

It's on the menu here http://www.leturbot.com/ and most excellent it was, a couple of weeks ago

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Not bad at 14€, either.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
I once had a peppermint aero with no bubbles. The peppermint bit was solid.

I was delighted initially, but it was a bit much in the end.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Is that an Aer?

ian

I have always imagined that if I fell out of a spaceship I'd be OK provided I had enough Aero bars to munch through. I may have even calculated just how much oxygen might be in each bubble, the number of bubbles per bar, and the optimal munching rate to ensure sufficient blood oxygenation. In that situation, a deflated Aero would have been fatal unless I immediate swapped to another sufficiently aerated Aero (or a backup supply of Crunchies). The perils of manned space flight are often understated.

Really, no one ever talks to me at parties. I fear it's my daunting intellect.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
I've seen video of what happens when you put a marshmallow in a vacuum chamber, but SCIENCE YouTube seems to have missed the obvious Aero/Wispa experiment.  :(

The further thought occurs that you probably ought to check that the bubbles aren't composed of nitrous oxide before using them for space travel.

ian

For the record, I'm sure the bubbles don't contain oxygen (as that's generally a bad idea with foodstuffs), so I'm probably going to die in space. I am however resigned to this fate. Crunchies will be full of carbon dioxide, I assume from the honeycombing process. I think we could maybe avert climate change by sequestering vast amounts of carbon dioxide in giant Crunchies. This, at least, is the thought experiment I'm currently running. Obviously, we're doomed if someone big enough along and starts eating them. We'd have to launch them into space. To avoid having to use rockets, I am contemplating a suitably magnetic wrapper. A long accelerator could then be used to fire a constant stream of oversized Crunchies into orbit.