Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1750327 times)

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #2225 on: 03 October, 2011, 07:48:05 pm »
There were some girls from the sixth form at the bus stop and he was showing off.

« Reply #2226 on: 03 October, 2011, 08:57:27 pm »
Erm, yes, sorry Bloomers and co for the rather abrupt entrance   :-[

It seemed like a good idea at the time but I did get the distinct impression that the punters out the front of the pub weren't amused by my antics.  I can only apologise and say explicitly that I felt like I was 10 years old and loved every moment I'd never do it again 

It was tough but I had to wait, drink beers and have a chuckle with Bloomers and co until the AA came and rescued the bike and I.

The skid started at the car park entrance and the tyre blew about where the hedge is.  Garmin reports that the skid start speed was 26mph.  It paced out 27 and quarter which should give ~27 metres, one day I'll grab the photos and work it out precisely.

I've since swapped the tyres for the new gators and given them a thorough inspection.  They were indeed past their best, rubber has started to become brittle and they have more cuts than a Greek budget.  They are also throwing threads out all over the place as can be seen in piccy two.

That set of gators have taken me through many adventure over the ~6-7000 mile of use.  I think it's right they died at their spirtual home of the Compasses :thumbsup:

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #2227 on: 03 October, 2011, 09:01:18 pm »
Some people will do anything to get out of riding home.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #2228 on: 03 October, 2011, 09:02:30 pm »
I like the reference the to AA!  Do you make her wear the uniform?

« Reply #2229 on: 03 October, 2011, 09:15:12 pm »
I like the reference the to AA!  Do you make her wear the uniform?

Now that's a great idea   :D

« Reply #2230 on: 03 October, 2011, 09:24:57 pm »
Some people will do anything to get out of riding home.

Given our recent SR promotion I was keen to lead by example and had the following emergency tool kit for such issues on the bike:
  • some left over sugar coated haribo from last week (discovered and then pillaged by the younger generation at the pub)
  • a few vitamin I
  • packet of polos
  • and most importantly, a slice of swiss roll from the Spar/Petrol station from last week
  • a wallet to buy some beer

I'm happy to document these essentials for the next Audax UK magazine   :thumbsup:

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #2231 on: 04 October, 2011, 06:40:44 am »
Didn't bother me, it was a biggun and gave us something different to measure at the pub.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #2232 on: 04 October, 2011, 05:10:57 pm »
Next time(!) somebody should video it for the Compasses FB page.

Actually chief - you could put the old hamstergatorskin from the front onto the back and try again.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #2233 on: 04 October, 2011, 05:36:30 pm »
Anybody not waxing their back tomorrow night?

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #2234 on: 04 October, 2011, 05:37:58 pm »
Before anyone asks about any forward planning of a Wednesday evening ride I'm going to have to miss this week out on account of having no suitable front illumination.  My Hope One decided to sheer its mounting bracket tightening/securing screw last night  >:( so has today been returned to Wiggle for replacement (15 days before the end of its warranty, which makes a change for it not being after the warranty period!).
HOPEfully normal service will be resumed for next week  ::-)

[Looks like I was beaten to the forward planning by Oaky  :o]
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #2235 on: 04 October, 2011, 05:41:52 pm »
That might be me anna Vern, we reach Harwich at a time of the morning that doesn't actually exist, so if you are within a slow day's ride of the port somewhere we can get accommodation we might possibly join you.

Over to the Essex crew to choose a pub.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2236 on: 04 October, 2011, 05:42:00 pm »
I'm posting here as this thread is a useful depository for all things mid-Essex.

I have three (yes THREE  :thumbsup: ) of my birthday passes left!  I have earmarked one for the Christmas do but two remain, they are valid for weekend jaunts but must be used by the end of the year.  What shall I do with them?  I know various cunning plans have been discussed, all of which sound grand so would welcome the chance to join in.  But perhaps we can come up with a brand new concept as well.

The one thing I really fancy is having a go at some proper camp stove cooking.  I have had my Trangia for some time now and only once cooked a proper meal on it (apart from a fried breakfast).  Can we build this element in???

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2237 on: 04 October, 2011, 05:43:13 pm »
Before anyone asks about any forward planning of a Wednesday evening ride I'm going to have to miss this week out on account of having no suitable front illumination.  My Hope One decided to sheer its mounting bracket tightening/securing screw last night  >:( so has today been returned to Wiggle for replacement (15 days before the end of its warranty, which makes a change for it not being after the warranty period!).
HOPEfully normal service will be resumed for next week  ::-)

[Looks like I was beaten to the forward planning by Oaky  :o]

I'm not out tomorrow night, wanna borrow my Hope?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2238 on: 04 October, 2011, 05:45:27 pm »
That might be me anna Vern, we reach Harwich at a time of the morning that doesn't actually exist, so if you are within a slow day's ride of the port somewhere we can get accommodation we might possibly join you.

Over to the Essex crew to choose a pub.

What sort of accommodation?

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #2239 on: 04 October, 2011, 05:54:22 pm »

Bugger!
 :(

Re accomm, anything where I am close enough to Vern to belabor him firmly about the head If when he snores would work.
 ;)

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #2240 on: 04 October, 2011, 05:55:06 pm »

That's a possibility, OD, thanks :)
Now we'll have to see what plans are hatched, maybe even one to change your mind about staying home tomorrow night!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2241 on: 04 October, 2011, 06:13:06 pm »

Bugger!
 :(

Re accomm, anything where I am close enough to Vern to belabor him firmly about the head If when he snores would work.
 ;)

If you're around I could make it out.  How far from Harwich do you think you'll get?

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #2242 on: 04 October, 2011, 06:16:05 pm »
Just a suggestion, no experience of this pub at all, but this is fairly central to our mid-week wanderings:
http://www.theshipchelmsford.co.uk/
(not sure on their opinion of cyclists though!)

« Reply #2243 on: 04 October, 2011, 06:23:09 pm »
The Ship is NOT a suitable cycling pub! You'll probably get beaten up for wearing funny clothes. It's a townie pub and usually full of twats.

If you leave bikes outside either at the front or in the car park at the back/side they will probably have their wheels kicked in before you've taken the first sip of your first pint.

Avoid.
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #2244 on: 04 October, 2011, 06:26:31 pm »
Thanks bobb  :-[

Just a suggestion, no experience of this pub at all, but this is fairly central to our mid-week wanderings:
http://www.theshipchelmsford.co.uk/
(not sure on their opinion of cyclists though!)

The Ship is NOT a suitable cycling pub! You'll probably get beaten up for wearing funny clothes. It's a townie pub and usually full of twats.

If you leave bikes outside either at the front or in the car park at the back/side they will probably have their wheels kicked in before you've taken the first sip of your first pint.

Avoid.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #2245 on: 04 October, 2011, 06:27:31 pm »

If you're around I could make it out.  How far from Harwich do you think you'll get?

We usually manage about 50 miles per day but we don't usually start riding at 06:30 so might get further, although it's looking a bit windy which will definitely slow us down.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2246 on: 04 October, 2011, 06:53:35 pm »
Clare, the Witham / Chelmsford area where we hang out is about 40ish miles from Harwich.  If you pass through Colchester at lunchtime we will feed you (Feast, 32 North Hill, Colchester, CO1 1QR).  The nearest / best campsite round here is probably Retreat Farm, Little Baddow.  If you want I'll call them in the morning and try to get you in tomorrow night.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #2247 on: 04 October, 2011, 07:14:16 pm »
That sounds good OD, is there a pub within staggering distance of the site we could persuade the massive to turn up at and could we get grub there (otherwise we need to do a supplies shop).

While we're on the subject of food, does anybody know where's good for brekkie near the port?

Lunch on North Hill? With our level of packing? You're having a giraffe. We'll try to get there have the oxygen cylinders on stand-by.

At some point we are going to lose wi-fi as we float around in theopen sewer North Sea, if you don't get a response to anything tonight don't worry I'll check in at WTF o'clock tomorrow morning.

« Reply #2248 on: 04 October, 2011, 07:21:22 pm »
Next time(!) somebody should video it for the Compasses FB page.

Actually chief - you could put the old hamstergatorskin from the front onto the back and try again.

Young Bloomers mentioned that you can have tyres made into a belt and I'm thinking that's the best thing for them  :thumbsup:

It's pretty likely I'll be having a beverage after work in London tomorrow night so unlikely to be around

« Reply #2249 on: 04 October, 2011, 07:23:53 pm »

Avoid.

On the plus side it's great as part of a circular pub crawl  :thumbsup: