Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1750153 times)

Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #3575 on: 29 January, 2013, 08:56:20 am »
Rayne works for me...Eta?

@OD - probably best if you DON'T assume an average speed of 38mph.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: ::-) ::-)

« Reply #3576 on: 29 January, 2013, 10:33:53 am »
Morning

Jus to let you know BBC Essex travel mentioned that the roads around Papermill Lock are closed due to flooding. First time I've heard it on the travel news so must be bad!

Just in case you were thinking about going that way in the next couple of days........

Also if anyone's interested there's a programme about the real Essex (not the TOWIE version) on BBC4 at 9.00pm tonight.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01qfr95

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #3577 on: 29 January, 2013, 11:49:52 am »

@OD - probably best if you DON'T assume an average speed of 38mph.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: ::-) ::-)

Yes very humorous, I'm sure  ;D  I have learned my lesson and will answer your question tomorrow once I have established exactly how far it is from Witham to Rayne via the prescribed route.  I can't do this today as my laptop is at home and I'm not.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #3578 on: 29 January, 2013, 12:00:25 pm »
Jus to let you know BBC Essex travel mentioned that the roads around Papermill Lock are closed due to flooding. First time I've heard it on the travel news so must be bad!

Interestingly, the section of road just before the bridge there, which I'm assuming is the now-flooded bit, was one of the places that wasn't flooded on our ride on Sunday (I was expecting the Chelmer to be flowing along there as it has many times before)
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #3579 on: 29 January, 2013, 03:17:03 pm »
We heard on our Sunday club ride that PML was closed. I don't hold out much hope of Ulting being any better!
I still intend to pray at the Chapel but I'm not doing any wading or riding through floods any more this week!  :hand:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3580 on: 29 January, 2013, 03:20:03 pm »
You should be ok if you ride up via Maldon.

« Reply #3581 on: 29 January, 2013, 04:23:27 pm »
Gutted. My Brompton got nicked at lunchtime. :-[ Tied to railings near Old St with D lcok and cable lock. Somehow they got the D lock open and cut the cable as well. In broad daylight on a busy street. Bastards. Double gutted as it had my trusty old Brooks B17 with the copper rivets on it which was going to go on my new Long Haul Trucker frame.  :'(

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3582 on: 29 January, 2013, 04:58:41 pm »
That's tragic!  I'd be devastated if one of my bikes got pinched.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3583 on: 29 January, 2013, 05:16:16 pm »
Commiserations Christophe, that's sad news :'(. I've had bits nicked off a bike [when a student], and bike stuff [bar bag, odds & ends] from a YH and that's bad enough.

Check ebay - decent stolen bikes sometimes end up there I'm told, if they don't get immediately flogged by a junkie for a tenner.

« Reply #3584 on: 29 January, 2013, 05:48:25 pm »
TBH it was a heap of sh*t. In need of a new back wheel, new chainset, chain and sprocket. In all about £200 worth of repairs needed. I've been keeping it at work so I can cycle over to Old Street to go swimming at lunch times. I even left it on the train one morning before Christmas and managed to get it back from lost property at Liverpool St!
Brompton have been able to provide me with the frame and serial number. I registered it with them about 9 years ago when I bought it, using a previous work email. I contacted them with my old log in details and a bit of additional info and they emailed back in a couple of hours. Now registered with the police and Brompton as stolen. Also found a thread on here  http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=67667.msg1404091#msg1404091 regarding a couple of websites for stolen bikes whcih I will get registered on.
It's the first time I've had ANYTHING stolen in my life! It's the little things like the saddle and light brackets which are pissing me off as I now have lights which I can't fit to another bike and the saddle was going on my new one! A new Brooks B17 is now around £60! And I won't be able to replace the bike through insurance as I bought it for £490 and they are now double that!

Anyway FUCK IT. It was my birthday yesterday so will meet you at The Chapel tommorrow night for a celebratory diet coke (I'm currently alcohol free).Should be there for about 9.30pm

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #3585 on: 29 January, 2013, 06:46:17 pm »
I know that gutted feeling from when I had my cheapish hybrid bike stolen from Witham station on the only occasion I took it there  :sick:

And I won't be able to replace the bike through insurance as I bought it for £490 and they are now double that!
Depends on your insurance policy - if it's new-for-old then you can expect them to replace like-for-like regardless of cost.  When I had my bike replaced through the insurance the model that I had on the current year had a lower spec than my bike had - I successfully argued that I should have the current higher model as that matched the spec of the bike I had nicked. 
And don't forget all those accessories you had bolted to it when you put the claim in either, they can add up to a fair bit  ::-)
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3586 on: 29 January, 2013, 10:02:49 pm »
Hmmm, "The Joy of Essex" ...

Beautiful photography but I only understood one word in ten that bloke said. Is it me?  Probably.

« Reply #3587 on: 29 January, 2013, 10:27:20 pm »
Hmmm, "The Joy of Essex" ...

Beautiful photography but I only understood one word in ten that bloke said. Is it me?  Probably.

No, that was my reaction.  He made Silver End sound quite appealing.

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #3588 on: 30 January, 2013, 07:00:30 am »
Chris, Bum holes! When you say swimming at Old Street do you mean sipping an espresso at LMNH with cool people?

I have a lightly used Brommie that I could be persuaded to part with, as its you  ;)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3589 on: 30 January, 2013, 07:43:59 am »

It is 11.5 miles from Witham to Rayne.  So if we leave at 1915 I reckon we should be in Rayne by 2000hrs.  Does this sound right?  I suggest we meet HERE

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3590 on: 30 January, 2013, 08:20:18 am »
20:00 at the crossroads  :thumbsup: or in the Swan if its raining.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3591 on: 30 January, 2013, 08:23:41 am »
20:00 at the crossroads  :thumbsup: or in the Swan if its raining.

Right ho!

« Reply #3592 on: 30 January, 2013, 09:22:07 am »
Chris, Bum holes! When you say swimming at Old Street do you mean sipping an espresso at LMNH with cool people?

I have a lightly used Brommie that I could be persuaded to part with, as its you  ;)

Thanks for the offer. As long as it's not knicked I might bre interested. We'll see what the insurance say

Sorry not sipping espresso with the cool people. Don't even know what LMNH stands for!

Anyway. One way or another I'll be at Coggeshall at 9.30

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #3593 on: 30 January, 2013, 10:34:48 am »
Sorry to hear about your nicked Brommie.  >:(

Sorry not sipping espresso with the cool people. Don't even know what LMNH stands for!

Cycling cafe on Old Street: Look Mum No Hands

« Reply #3594 on: 30 January, 2013, 10:51:50 am »
Sorry to hear about your nicked Brommie.  >:(

Cycling cafe on Old Street: Look Mum No Hands

Thanks for that. I'm way too cool to hang out at those kind of places.

« Reply #3595 on: 30 January, 2013, 11:07:55 am »
dont you have to ride a "fixie" to be allowed in there ;D

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #3596 on: 30 January, 2013, 11:42:00 am »
Think so.  I think you also need hipster jeans with the right  leg rolled up to your knee.

;D

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3597 on: 30 January, 2013, 11:57:10 am »
I have walked past Look Mum a few times.  There are also a couple of tossy looking bike shops nearby clearly aimed at London cyclists with more money than sense.  I'm not sure I would be welcomed in any of the aforementioned establishments.

« Reply #3598 on: 30 January, 2013, 12:03:50 pm »
I have walked past Look Mum a few times.  There are also a couple of tossy looking bike shops nearby clearly aimed at London cyclists with more money than sense.  I'm not sure I would be welcomed in any of the aforementioned establishments.

Nothing new there then  :thumbsup:

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #3599 on: 30 January, 2013, 12:09:20 pm »

Thanks for the offer. As long as it's not knicked I might bre interested. We'll see what the insurance say

Anyway. One way or another I'll be at Coggeshall at 9.30

I do have a receipt, cheeky. I once got my trousers, wallet, work ID and keys to hire car stolen from Harlow swimming pool on a lunchtime swim. A colleague much shorter than me brought me a spare pair of his trousers to travel home in. The hire car wasn't nicked even though the reg no was on the stolen fob.