Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1750157 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #3725 on: 06 March, 2013, 11:33:36 am »
Oaky, you could always meet us at Great Notley CP.  Let's keep in touch by text as the day / evening unfolds.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #3726 on: 06 March, 2013, 03:00:30 pm »
Thanks ... If I am in time to meet up with you chaps, I guess Peg Millar's crossroads is probably best.  I'll text as and when I know if that's likely.

Unless you are going to be allowing your Garmin to route you by whatever approximation to your published track it feels like using at the time and it decides not to go that way.  ;D
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3727 on: 06 March, 2013, 03:27:22 pm »
Thanks ... If I am in time to meet up with you chaps, I guess Peg Millar's crossroads is probably best.  I'll text as and when I know if that's likely.

Yes, Peg Millar's will be good.  Just let us know whether to expect you there.

Unless you are going to be allowing your Garmin to route you by whatever approximation to your published track it feels like using at the time and it decides not to go that way.  ;D

Indeed, I have investigated Sunday's strange goings-on.  As part of understanding of my new E30 and BaseCamp I have been experimenting with how I set up routes.  Previously I scattered waypoints round like fairy dust and on the road all would be well (with the odd exception  ;D  ).  However, this is a time consuming process.  If one uses fewer waypoints it all looks fine on your PC and one can create a nice track to be shared with chums. However, on the road the E30 can do its own thing as it is not so constrained by lots of waypoints.  But, if one's chums are getting their devices to slavishly follow the shared track (cos they are willing to do without turn-by-turn instructions) you get the anomalies we experienced on Sunday.  We would have all ended up in the same place but have followed slightly different routes.

Conclusion: go back to sprinkling waypoints round like fairy dust.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #3728 on: 06 March, 2013, 03:33:57 pm »
But waypoints clog up my Edge 705 favourites, so I shall be trying to actively ignore your sprinklings and not download them.  I don't need them anyway - the Edge provides turn by turn instructions well enough from a Basecamp or BRT route.

Conclusion: you need a grown-up cycling specific GPS (and one that does not barf and require the disk reformating to make it talk to other electonictrickary)
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3729 on: 06 March, 2013, 03:38:00 pm »
But waypoints clog up my Edge 705 favourites, so I shall be trying to actively ignore your sprinklings and not download them.  I don't need them anyway - the Edge provides turn by turn instructions well enough from a Basecamp or BRT route.

Yes, I need to rock up at your house one evening with some beers and you can show me how you make that happen.  I suspect the E30 can be made to behave like your Edge (hopefully without the need to reformat anything  :facepalm: ), whereas my old Etrex didn't seem to like BRT.

« Reply #3730 on: 06 March, 2013, 05:31:05 pm »

Yes, I need to rock up at your house one evening with some beers and you can show me how you make that happen.  I suspect the E30 can be made to behave like your Edge (hopefully without the need to reformat anything  :facepalm: ), whereas my old Etrex didn't seem to like BRT.

You can help me out as well .I can't get turn by turns just from a BRT track. I need to make a route on Bascamp as well.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3731 on: 06 March, 2013, 05:43:49 pm »
Perhaps you can reciprocate by passing your painting and decorating skills  ;D

« Reply #3732 on: 06 March, 2013, 05:56:16 pm »
Perhaps you can reciprocate by passing your painting and decorating skills  ;D

I've had enough of doing my own decorating let alone do anyone elses.

Polite reply would be. GET F**KED

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #3733 on: 06 March, 2013, 06:23:19 pm »

You can help me out as well .I can't get turn by turns just from a BRT track. I need to make a route on Bascamp as well.

This is looking like a Garmin GPS device workshop is required.  It would be interesting to see what troubles you're both having as I have not experienced any problems with the methods I use.

« Reply #3734 on: 06 March, 2013, 07:13:44 pm »
One day I'll surprise everyone and actually turn up at one of these things!  ::-)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3735 on: 07 March, 2013, 08:58:51 am »
A top evening!  Loved the comedy off-roading  ;D

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #3736 on: 07 March, 2013, 10:24:40 am »
"You know you're on one of OD's routes when you spend half the ride following signposts for places you've already been through"

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3737 on: 07 March, 2013, 10:27:07 am »
"You know you're on one of OD's routes when you spend half the ride following signposts for places you've already been through"

;D

Ahem!

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #3738 on: 07 March, 2013, 10:34:33 am »
 ::-)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3739 on: 07 March, 2013, 10:36:54 am »

I recall a high level of commitment last night.  I hope the cold light of morning has prompted a change of heart.

« Reply #3740 on: 07 March, 2013, 11:13:19 am »
I recall a high level of commitment last night.  I hope the cold light of morning has prompted a change of heart.
Commitment to what? Wearing reindeer suits, comedy off roading, $something-else or a combination of the above?
I still may turn up to one of these evenings.

« Reply #3741 on: 07 March, 2013, 12:47:57 pm »

How many pints in was this? I might also turn up one eveneing, possibly with Del in tow.

Had a late night 60km from Shenfield myself last night which wasn't a great idea. Turned up at home cold, wet, exhausted and with my freewheel making very loud complaints.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3742 on: 07 March, 2013, 01:35:29 pm »
Don't know how much everyone else had but I supped a pint of White Hart IPA, which tasted a bit weird but was OK and then enjoyed two large glasses of Merlot ...

Due to protracted faffage on arrival by my fellow bicyclists I was first into the pub.  There were about 8 regulars who had arranged their chairs in a loose circle in the middle of the bar.  I don't think they were expecting a MAMIL in their midst as conversation stopped and staring commenced.  I bade them a cheery "Good evening, there's more of us to come!" and headed for the sanctuary of an empty table of which there were many.

As per the emerging trend the pub was slightly odd although the young lady behind the bar was pleasantly normal.  A large flat screen TV was showing a particularly violent film and from the ceiling hung an interesting collection of chamber pots ...

Got home just before 1am still mildly pi55ed  :smug:

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #3743 on: 07 March, 2013, 01:38:19 pm »

has prompted or has not prompted?!?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3744 on: 07 March, 2013, 01:40:28 pm »

has prompted or has not prompted?!?

NOT! 

Remember, some of us are born great, others have greatness thrust upon them.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3745 on: 10 March, 2013, 06:50:32 pm »
Huggy friendly venue on Weds for post 'Dick Turpin' rehydration? [Compasses?]

We have a school options evening at 6:30, but could get away later.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #3746 on: 10 March, 2013, 07:35:40 pm »
Huggy friendly venue on Weds for post 'Dick Turpin' rehydration? [Compasses?]

We have a school options evening at 6:30, but could get away later.
:thumbsup:

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #3747 on: 10 March, 2013, 08:06:37 pm »
Good luck with your ride Huggy, sadistic last quarter. Organiser's privilege applies.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3748 on: 11 March, 2013, 08:14:00 am »
Good luck with your ride Huggy, sadistic last quarter. Organiser's privilege applies.

Yes, the climb out of Sudbury is great fun! 

The Compasses on Wednesday evening is a smashing plan.  Will anyone else be riding there from Witham?

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #3749 on: 11 March, 2013, 08:36:17 am »
Thanks bloomers.

Yes, the climb out of Sudbury is great fun!

The Compasses on Wednesday evening is a smashing plan.  Will anyone else be riding there from Witham?
I shall look forward to it, providing the weather forecast is somewhat correct and daytime temperatures will actually rise to a balmy 5 degrees and snow fall will be minimal, otherwise I may just save my DTDO perm brevet for later in the year!