Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1750129 times)

Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series (plus random E Anglian stuff)
« Reply #6425 on: 25 March, 2015, 09:48:57 am »
I'm going to suggest you go to the Compasses next week and E Mersea the week after.

This has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the fact I am on holiday next week and am looking for a lazy Wednesday leading up to the G&Y fields.  Nothing at all.

Hare and Hounds is at the top of the Not so Mighty Layer Breton Hill just up from Abberton reservoir or across from NCN1 where we passed last week.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

« Reply #6426 on: 25 March, 2015, 10:21:46 am »
Guys, I am looking unlikely for tonight. Things are already conspiring against me...mainly the fact that I have to replace a headset, finish up my route for the Wormingford Dragon and get some sleep which work has done a good job of preventing this week.

Depending on what time I get out and if the new headset due to turn up today fits I may pop over to the Hare and Hounds for a quick test ride but I expect that I might be house bound!  :(

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #6427 on: 25 March, 2015, 03:42:43 pm »
I'll try and make Spa Road for 19:30, wherever we're going tonight! Assuming the Hare and Hounds at Layer Breton now??

I should have The Tea Towel by next week, so a trip to the Compasses would be good - but it is also their Steam Fest. on the Easter Weekend, so we're likely to be back there again soon.

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
« Reply #6428 on: 25 March, 2015, 04:11:34 pm »
I'll try and make Spa Road for 19:30, wherever we're going tonight! Assuming the Hare and Hounds at Layer Breton now??

Tomsk I hope we are now settled on the H&H Layer Breton for tonight's outing, no official route posted but as per my route suggestion earlier in the thread we can go for this or i'm happy to follow others if they have another route to get there.

Also not too far for Carlos to be able to join us and Nik if his mechanical issues don't hinder his attendance......

« Reply #6429 on: 25 March, 2015, 04:16:07 pm »
I will head to Goldhanger and look for the lights of the Witham Massive heading towards me at high speed then try to catch up.

Presumably Carlos is either a) asleep b) working or c) perfecting his next trick - but hopefully he will appear.

The Retiree

« Reply #6430 on: 25 March, 2015, 04:23:32 pm »
I will head to Goldhanger and look for the lights of the Witham Massive heading towards me at high speed then try to catch up.

Presumably Carlos is either a) asleep b) working or c) perfecting his next trick - but hopefully he will appear.

I would love to think it is option C ted however I think it is more likely to be A or maybe even B.....

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #6431 on: 25 March, 2015, 04:34:50 pm »
 I'm afraid it's option B tonight. I've gotta go to work. Looks a lovely evening too. Have fun guys.

The Retiree

« Reply #6432 on: 25 March, 2015, 04:36:18 pm »
I'm afraid it's option B tonight. I've gotta go to work. Looks a lovely evening too. Have fun guys.

Speak of the devil  :demon: sad to hear that small matter of work is preventing you from joining the fun this evening Carlos hopefully you can rejoin the peloton next week!  :thumbsup:

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #6433 on: 25 March, 2015, 05:09:34 pm »
Tomsk I hope we are now settled on the H&H Layer Breton for tonight...

:thumbsup:

The Retiree

« Reply #6434 on: 26 March, 2015, 09:29:33 am »
Well after the confusion of where we were headed we decided upon The Hare & Hounds in Layer Breton, present in the Witham peloton from Spa Rd were myself, Huggy & Andy along with 'special guest' Tomsk.

As has been the case in previous weeks the pace was pretty quick and we soon swept up Tedshred in Tolleshunt after enduring an enormous amount of car horns beeping at us  :demon: and one extremely pleasant chap calling us 'c*nts' as we road out of Witham....... :o

Upon arrival at H&H we met Tippers and decended upon the pub to sample some of their own Hare of the Hound ale (very nice too), the pub cat was fairly entertaining peeking whilst stealing Tippers bar stool, posing for a quick snap and then gently being given the nudge off!

Another enjoyable MEMWNS evening all told with a chilly return in - 1.1 degrees

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #6435 on: 26 March, 2015, 10:06:16 am »
Sounds excellent.  I'd like to see a photo of the cat - we like cat pictures.

The Retiree

« Reply #6436 on: 26 March, 2015, 10:11:39 am »
Sounds excellent.  I'd like to see a photo of the cat - we like cat pictures.

I believe your good man Tippers has the photo evidence of the white and ginger friend

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #6437 on: 26 March, 2015, 01:30:58 pm »
A good night at the H&H - spread around the woodburner end of the bar.

71 miles for me  :smug: - a proper training ride, I think [no, its all good...even my almost-daily 1 mile round trip to the shops] - had to ride hard all the way home to keep warm though  :D

« Reply #6438 on: 26 March, 2015, 02:33:33 pm »
I do indeed have the Cat photo, I will post it later.

I only rode from Tiptree which was a very short 15 minute pootle along the road, I owed some family time as I am out the next 3 weekends so it was good to get that sorted for this week.

It was a good night, I thought the layout of the inside of the pub was not overly ideal but the fire was lovely and the beer was good. The language from the other customers got progressively worse during the evening (and it takes a fair bit for me to notice things like that). I would have to say I would not rush back there in the winter months but I know the garden is very nice and it is a great summer pub.

There was good banter about bike rides, beer and tea towels!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6439 on: 26 March, 2015, 02:36:49 pm »
Tea towels!  What are we turning into  ::-)   :o

Looking forward to the pussy shot  ;D

« Reply #6440 on: 26 March, 2015, 04:41:35 pm »
First time at H&H for me even though I ride past it regularly.

It always looks lovely in the summer, particularly when you reach the top of the hill and see people enjoying a pint in the garden.

Not sure I'd rush back in the winter though.  It felt like drinking in the 1970's, probably the terminology being used by Bernard Manning and his friends at the bar added to that.

Good night again though and an interesting ride back through the sea fog.

Remember to let me know when you intend moving from easy to moderate pace, I'll have to form a grupetto !

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #6441 on: 26 March, 2015, 07:00:35 pm »
Next week, for one week only, I will not be on grand-dad duty. It is possible that I will be able to participate in Shenanigans. This might be EV or rail assisted.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6442 on: 26 March, 2015, 07:15:28 pm »
It's been sooooo long since you last showed your whiskery face on a Wednesday evening we might have to take you through the initiation process again. Brace yourself!!!

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #6443 on: 26 March, 2015, 08:42:19 pm »
Golly gosh - Wowbagger, pickled eggs and [I hope, by then] the Marsh Gibbon Tea Towel. An exciting evening in prospect!

A short ride to the Compasses would be great, with 'Les Randonneurs de l'Est' setting off 36 hours later. What am I saying - must be going soft - I'll have to do a loop of at least 50 miles to Littley Green  ;D

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6444 on: 26 March, 2015, 08:54:32 pm »
Next week, for one week only, I will not be on grand-dad duty. It is possible that I will be able to participate in Shenanigans. This might be EV or rail assisted.

By the way, I've easyJetted from and back to your Southend Airport this week. A very impressive experience but could you make the carpark signs a bit bigger please as I managed to park in the wrong one and had to be released?

Whilst in Amsterdam I had a ride in a Tesla Model S EV as there were loads being used as taxis. Very, very nice car.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6445 on: 27 March, 2015, 07:13:35 pm »
Hang on, two things ...

1. Where's the pussy shot?
2. How did you get on with The Purse?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6446 on: 31 March, 2015, 09:25:36 am »
Is there a plan for tomorrow night?

« Reply #6447 on: 31 March, 2015, 11:10:41 am »
Doh....forgot about the Pussy Shot....I'll upload it this evening.

I am not going to be out this week  :'(. Got some fettling to do and the parts should all be in tomorrow and need to do some Real Life vs. Cycle balancing ahead of the Arrow on Friday.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6448 on: 31 March, 2015, 11:25:37 am »
... ahead of the Arrow on Friday.

I'd forgotten about the Arrow - good luck, I hope it goes smoothly.  I'm never, ever, ever doing it again!  ;D

« Reply #6449 on: 31 March, 2015, 12:11:47 pm »
 ;D that Gentle breeze that was waving the trees better F**k right off before Friday!