Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1750092 times)

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series (plus random E Anglian stuff)
« Reply #7600 on: 12 August, 2015, 06:11:26 pm »
I won't be riding to meet you; I have a little girl here who's just back from her first trip to the USA and is suffering from acute jetlag! Anyway, I need a day off the bike after 7 days straight. That won't stop me meeting you at the pub as it's only 100 yards from home!

« Reply #7601 on: 12 August, 2015, 11:48:57 pm »
Here I am avoiding sleep  dep but waiting up for the result of the "chase me chase me dogger" handicap.

Can one of you put all of us, the internet public,  out of our misery and let us know the  result :facepalm:
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

TimC

« Reply #7602 on: 13 August, 2015, 06:53:26 am »
It was an uncontested win by OD, as Doggers had an unscheduled rendezvous with a rabbit hutch. OD and I sorted out the Audax world for a pleasant hour or two before he wended his way home via the alpine slopes of North Essex.

Good to see you again, Steve!

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #7603 on: 13 August, 2015, 07:39:27 am »
A top evening and top company. DL wins The Most Ridiculous Excuse Award for this millennium by missing the ride coz he was waiting in for his uncle to deliver a rabbit hutch! 

Anyhow, the pub was great and the route was very nice with some very dodgy surfaces and the odd hill. Fred didn't miss a beat.

We must go back to Henny and also hopefully Tim can venture south sometime.

« Reply #7604 on: 13 August, 2015, 04:45:05 pm »
Next time you head to Henny can you let me know?

It's just about do-able on a school night from here.

TimC

« Reply #7605 on: 13 August, 2015, 05:36:49 pm »
fboab, you're welcome to visit Henny with without the Witham Massive! If I'm around (and still not sold), I'm always happy to host.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #7606 on: 13 August, 2015, 05:43:56 pm »
I was thinking about pottering out by one means or another but in the end went a-tandemming with my good lady wife.

Henny isn't bad to get to from here by train - Marks Tey is a good stop and of course there's the branch line if I'm being incredibly lazy. The trouble is the last train back in to London is a bit too early (22.49) for a decent relaxing drink. Colchester isn't much better (23.03). I don't like to be rushed.

We could have come in the car but the planned rapid charger at Rivenhall hasn't materialised yet. There are another two planned for Copdock services and when they are in East Anglia will be much more accessible. We would have had to have dropped into Glyn Hopkin in Colchester, whose establishment offers 24-hour free charging.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #7607 on: 13 August, 2015, 10:17:06 pm »
Next time you head to Henny can you let me know?

It's just about do-able on a school night from here.

Will do. You were mentioned last night, did your ears warm up? 

Andy C33

• Beverage Procurement Officer.
« Reply #7608 on: 19 August, 2015, 11:21:35 am »
Oh MEMWNS where art though?

« Reply #7609 on: 19 August, 2015, 11:28:10 am »
I think a significant amount of the contingency are in France - PBP!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #7610 on: 19 August, 2015, 11:33:27 am »
Paris!

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #7611 on: 19 August, 2015, 02:31:24 pm »
I'm thinking of a trip out West and back with the CdF to test out a loaner C17 saddle I have, may end up in the Three Elms depending on duration and route... nothing solid yet though..
Regards,

Joergen

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #7612 on: 19 August, 2015, 04:59:08 pm »
Right, I am off out for a jaunt around Essex tonight, may be in The Compasses (Littley Green) for 20:30 or so to refuel and drink before heading home via 3 Elms. 

Probably crossing Mowden Hall Lane / Crix (mile 30) around 19:30 - 19:45 if any of the Witham Peloton want to tag along... subject to seat adjustments, average speed, visitations etc...

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/9904863
Regards,

Joergen

Andy C33

« Reply #7613 on: 20 August, 2015, 12:36:47 pm »
 Congratulations and job well done to all MEMWNS PBPers :thumbsup:

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #7614 on: 20 August, 2015, 11:19:31 pm »
Yep, congrats lads, just seen Ted's post on twitter mentioning Huggy completed as well :) :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #7615 on: 21 August, 2015, 07:51:49 am »
Indeed. Huggy,  Bobb and I formed the main Essex peleton while Tippers and Tomsk made up  l'echapee.

All that cycling home in the dark without a clear head that we do on Wednesdays must have stood us in good stead with 5/5 making it back to Paris. Vive le MEMWNS.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #7616 on: 21 August, 2015, 11:44:55 am »
Nice work PBP-ers.  Good to hear that the intensive MEMWNS training paid off.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #7617 on: 21 August, 2015, 04:55:50 pm »
Some thoughts about next Wednesday...

After OD suggested it to her on a Saturday family ride,  Acorn#1 is itching to come along on a Wednesday night ride.  Given our hols and the school hols, next week might be the last window for this for a while.

I guess I need to identify a pub that will be OK to have an Acorn of 10 years age either on the premises, or assuming a nice enough evening, in the beer garden.

My thinking is, to ride ~10 miles to a pub which is then within ~6 miles of Witham.  I'm going to try to identify a suitable pub over the next few days.  If I set off with her at around 7:30, we would make the pub by 8:30, and would probably set off home with her by ~9:30.  Obviously others would be free to ride further, stay later etc...
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Andy C33

« Reply #7618 on: 21 August, 2015, 05:15:00 pm »
My 2 eldest (10 and 14) are showing an interest in this Wednesday (it might not last).

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #7619 on: 22 August, 2015, 05:04:52 am »

After OD suggested it to her on a Saturday family ride,  Acorn#1 is itching to come along on a Wednesday night ride.  Given our hols and the school hols, next week might be the last window for this for a while.

I guess I need to identify a pub that will be OK to have an Acorn of 10 years age either on the premises, or assuming a nice enough evening, in the beer garden.

My thinking is, to ride ~10 miles to a pub which is then within ~6 miles of Witham.  I'm going to try to identify a suitable pub over the next few days.  If I set off with her at around 7:30, we would make the pub by 8:30, and would probably set off home with her by ~9:30.  Obviously others would be free to ride further, stay later etc...
Hurdlemakers?
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #7620 on: 22 August, 2015, 09:05:42 am »
+1 for Hurdlemakers,..
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #7621 on: 23 August, 2015, 09:34:57 am »

Unfortunately I'm away on Wednesday which is a real shame as I'd liked to have seen Acorn #1 make her maiden MEMWNS ride.  Anyhow, I hope she and the rest of you have a top time.

« Reply #7622 on: 23 August, 2015, 11:06:53 am »
*waves*

I'll just pop this here

http://www.chappelbeerfestival.org.uk/

and mention it would be great to see folks there.  I'm open to days/evenings if folks can make it..

Oscar's dad

« Reply #7623 on: 23 August, 2015, 04:42:20 pm »
Well, hasn't it been exciting lately???  Five of our number: bobb, huggy, ted, tippers and tomsk successfully completed the epic (an overused word, but not in this case) PBP!  Riding the event was challenge enough but lets not forget the qualification rides plus building fitness prior to the event.  Heroes, that what they are  :thumbsup:

So perhaps, by way of contrast, to recover from all the excitement, we need something completely different.  The inestimable chief has already suggested the Chappel beer festival and for sometime now I've been mooting the inaugural Mid-Essex yacf BBQ which is what this post is principally about ...

FORWARD PLANNING ALERT ... BUT ITS ABOUT BEER AND FOOD SO IT'S OK ... DON'T PANIC!!!

First up, if you're reading this you're invited but please me me know if you are planning to rock up.  WAGs plus small peope are invited too.

More details:
- The venue is our back garden.  PM me if you need to know the address, cross your fingers for fine weather
- The date is Saturday 5th September from noon onwards.  If you're still here on Sunday it'll be OK
- We will be providing a basic stock of beer, soft drinks, sausages and salad
- But please bring your own food and drink too
- Me and huggy will be providing two of Mr Webber's finest BBQs.  I'm sure I mentioned this to huggy
- Also bring some folding chairs if you have them
- And a pint glass
- There are some trees close by to which bikes can be locked

That's it I think.  What have I forgotten to tell you?

« Reply #7624 on: 23 August, 2015, 04:49:56 pm »
That's it I think.  What have I forgotten to tell you?
Bike parking?  ::-) Changing facilities to change into disco pants?  8)