Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1750213 times)

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series (plus random E Anglian stuff)
« Reply #8075 on: 11 November, 2015, 08:03:53 am »
...then a pint or two at Witham's Woolpack which brews it's own beer, or at least it did when I last looked in.
The home brewing landlord moved on to bigger brewing premises about a year ago I think.
Just another thought about the Woolie, I have only ever been there on foot and don't recall there being any suitable bike parking nearby. A substantial lock to attach your steed to some street furniture out of direct sight will be required.
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #8076 on: 11 November, 2015, 08:38:31 am »
We can always go to The White Hart.

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
« Reply #8077 on: 11 November, 2015, 09:05:33 am »
I am intending to be at Spa Rd for 7.30 barring Mrs DL's parents evening appointments running on time! I shall let one of you know if I'm going to be late so as not to wait for me and I will then catch you up enroute somewhere.

I believe SSN is also joining the peloton this evening. Does the Woolpack not have a courtyard area by the side where we could lock up our bikes?

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #8078 on: 11 November, 2015, 09:22:55 am »
...then a pint or two at Witham's Woolpack which brews it's own beer, or at least it did when I last looked in.
The home brewing landlord moved on to bigger brewing premises about a year ago I think.
Just another thought about the Woolie, I have only ever been there on foot and don't recall there being any suitable bike parking nearby. A substantial lock to attach your steed to some street furniture out of direct sight will be required.

It's pretty near the train station and I have a fob for the cage there.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #8079 on: 11 November, 2015, 09:28:28 am »

It's pretty near the train station and I have a fob for the cage there.
That's true, I have a fob for the cage too, as does Andy C33.  We will have to walk past the Albert Railway Inn and White Horse to get to the Woolie not that it will be too difficult to keep walking past the White Horse

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #8080 on: 11 November, 2015, 09:31:58 am »
Does the Woolpack not have a courtyard area by the side where we could lock up our bikes?

BTW I think this might be the courtyard DL is thinking of.  The Woolie is just visible up the street, although there's no line of sight to the Parking pole.

Incidentally,  I see an entire building has been blurred out in the streetview pictures there.  Is this an example of someone complaining to google and asking to be removed?

The Retiree

« Reply #8081 on: 11 November, 2015, 09:37:35 am »
That's true, I have a fob for the cage too, as does Andy C33.  We will have to walk past the Albert Railway Inn and White Horse to get to the Woolie not that it will be too difficult to keep walking past the White Horse

Probably best we pay a visit to The Railway Inn if we park at the station as I'm having nightmare flashbacks walking from Ted's secure office parking to the beer festival in my cleats........!  :'(

BTW I think this might be the courtyard DL is thinking of.  The Woolie is just visible up the street, although there's no line of sight to the Parking pole.

Incidentally,  I see an entire building has been blurred out in the streetview pictures there.  Is this an example of someone complaining to google and asking to be removed?

No it wasn't that one Oaky, there is a little courtyard right next to the pub (hard to see on streetview) I think it's their delivery/empty barrel storage from the little I can see on streetview of it

« Reply #8082 on: 11 November, 2015, 09:59:53 am »
Can you lot make your minds up  :facepalm:

I will probably aim to intercept.  All things being equal I will catch the CP shuttle and ask the driver to make my first attempt at TMNH (just once not twice from different directions like the OD sufferfest route). then join on the route from there to Witham.  If I hear a load of people shouting at someone (who smells vaguely of McDonalds' ketchup) about being lost I will know I am on the right track.

Looking at OD's route, it might be helpful if I make sure I get to the Woolie/White Hart/Railway/whatever in time to order some drinks before last orders is called so that they are waiting for you when you get there.

I now await for the Witham brains trust to come up with a venue in their own town that they actually know something about.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

The Retiree

« Reply #8083 on: 11 November, 2015, 10:06:18 am »
Can you lot make your minds up  :facepalm:

I will probably aim to intercept.  All things being equal I will catch the CP shuttle and ask the driver to make my first attempt at TMNH (just once not twice from different directions like the OD sufferfest route). then join on the route from there to Witham.  If I hear a load of people shouting at someone (who smells vaguely of McDonalds' ketchup) about being lost I will know I am on the right track.

Looking at OD's route, it might be helpful if I make sure I get to the Woolie/White Hart/Railway/whatever in time to order some drinks before last orders is called so that they are waiting for you when you get there.

I now await for the Witham brains trust to come up with a venue in their own town that they actually know something about.

I'm afraid Ted it appears that OD has been a bit lapse on the advanced planning to check on suitable bike parking conditions at the Woolpack  ::-) however I think we should be able to get round that.....

I notice you're hoping to intercept around the Hurrells Lane area (not anything you want to share with us is there?) lets hope the CP shuttle is'nt a white van  :o

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #8084 on: 11 November, 2015, 10:14:10 am »
I vote for doing the Woolpack, parking at the station.

A 7:30 departure via the OD route should see us there by around 10pm, assuming nobody punctures following the early off-roading.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #8085 on: 11 November, 2015, 10:24:03 am »
Consider this evening to be our penance for the excesses of last Wednesday.

« Reply #8086 on: 11 November, 2015, 10:32:00 am »
I assume that was a private message to Oaky.

The Retiree

« Reply #8087 on: 11 November, 2015, 10:34:08 am »
I assume that was a private message to Oaky.

It would appear that way Ted  ;)

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #8088 on: 11 November, 2015, 10:35:31 am »
Consider this evening to be our penance for the excesses of last Wednesday.

I thought I already did that on the BRT!

I found that my front tyre was flat a few days later.  I think that some mud must've pushed it's way in through the cut in my tyre, seeped through the carcass threads and worn the tiniest possible hole in the inner tube  >:(

That hole and its cause took quite a while to find.  I pathced the tube and threw a patch on the inside of the tyre too, since a small length of the cut was visible there as well.

I could put my brand new tyres on for tonight, but I don't fancy off-roading them, so I'm either going to chance the existing ones, or ride a different bike.  I did check last night to see if I could get the original 'cross tyres (@35c) on with the mudguards, but there's (just) not enough clearance under the fork crown for that :(

« Reply #8089 on: 11 November, 2015, 11:13:44 am »
The first part of that COR should be fun for anyone on less than 28's. I have actually ended up working from home so if things go OK I might be joining you after all but nothing for sure!

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #8090 on: 11 November, 2015, 11:14:50 am »
I vote for doing the Woolpack, parking at the station.
+1

Given the convoluted route we can always short cut direct to the train station from almost anywhere and be there in a few minutes, as the proposed route for this evening has been constructed in the true tradition of OD routes heading away from the destination at almost every turn :demon:

The Retiree

« Reply #8091 on: 11 November, 2015, 11:16:44 am »
The first part of that COR should be fun for anyone on less than 28's. I have actually ended up working from home so if things go OK I might be joining you after all but nothing for sure!

:facepalm: that will be me then.......  ::-)

« Reply #8092 on: 11 November, 2015, 11:43:18 am »
 ;D it's ok though because the second part is indeed on Concrete farm tracks

Oscar's dad

« Reply #8093 on: 11 November, 2015, 02:35:18 pm »
Sorry folks I'm feeling a bit pants so I'm not coming out to play tonight. Apologies for the short notice.

« Reply #8094 on: 11 November, 2015, 02:39:44 pm »
What OD meant to say was:

"Enjoy riding in concentric circles around Witham until you get so dizzy you don't need to go to the pub.  I have man flu so will look forward to seeing your strava tracks later."

The Retiree

« Reply #8095 on: 11 November, 2015, 02:43:09 pm »
Sorry folks I'm feeling a bit pants so I'm not coming out to play tonight. Apologies for the short notice.

Is it definitely you that feels pants or is your Garmin feeling a little  :sick: after you uploaded tonights route to it?  :P I guess on the plus side it does mean Oaky has the opportunity to lead us down sensible roads other than the Troys Chase/Pink Lane COR'ing  :thumbsup:

The Retiree

« Reply #8096 on: 11 November, 2015, 02:46:08 pm »
What OD meant to say was:

"Enjoy riding in concentric circles around Witham until you get so dizzy you don't need to go to the pub.  I have man flu so will look forward to seeing your strava tracks later."

As OD normally always adopts Rule #2 it's disappointing that on this occassion he is in serious breach of Rule #5

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #8097 on: 11 November, 2015, 02:58:49 pm »
As OD is not going to be out tonight I suggest we shelve the planned twisty route for this evening in favour of something else, leaving Plan A for a time when OD is back in the MEMWNS world.
I'm a little busy right now to post up an alternative so throwing it open for someone else to do so, and maybe let Tomsk & Ted know by other means of communication if time is getting short to normal respective departure times.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #8098 on: 11 November, 2015, 03:21:00 pm »
As OD is not going to be out tonight I suggest we shelve the planned twisty route for this evening in favour of something else, leaving Plan A for a time when OD is back in the MEMWNS world.
I'm a little busy right now to post up an alternative so throwing it open for someone else to do so, and maybe let Tomsk & Ted know by other means of communication if time is getting short to normal respective departure times.

I'm game for trying the twissssstinesssss... although the opportunity to skip the COR section will be taken if we do, thereby alleviating my agonisation over which bike to bring ;) :)

How about following OD's route but skipping the first loop (and hence the mucky bit)?  No change needed in communications to ted/Tomsk, other than the prospect of arriving at the Woolie half an hour earlier (or spending up to half an hour in the Railway Tav gathering folks for entry into the station bike shed)?

« Reply #8099 on: 11 November, 2015, 03:25:20 pm »
Right, so aim for the Railway Tavern for 9.30 if I don't meet you on the road ?

Somehow the peloton always seems more stealth like when OD isn't around  :o so you may not be as easy to find out there.