Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1750179 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #9225 on: 04 May, 2016, 06:02:57 am »
The Ale House are happy for you to bring food in.

Oooh!  Kebab and beer :)

That sounds like a plan. In an ideal world I don't want to be too late home as I'm out of the lash (work) tomorrow evening.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #9226 on: 04 May, 2016, 08:14:30 am »
Captain Slow and I are planning a little ride out around the Ingatestone area which might take in a windmill, a bar meal and a check that the Viper is still in place...  not aiming for a late one but may be able to synchronise with the MEMWNS peloton at Ale House on the return leg...  what do you think eta at AH will be?
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #9227 on: 04 May, 2016, 08:20:38 am »
Usual time or thereabouts.  If the session finishes at 8pm and then we "do one" we ought to be back in Chelmsford for about 9.

I am sure you could amuse yourself in the Ale House for a few minutes if we were a bit late  :thumbsup:
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #9228 on: 04 May, 2016, 10:56:22 am »
We might be a bit later than 9 anyhow if we are getting some nosh en route plus there are hills, which Captain Slow can negotiate, but not quickly...
Regards,

Joergen

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #9229 on: 04 May, 2016, 12:12:20 pm »
The Ale House are happy for you to bring food in.

Oooh!  Kebab and beer :)

That sounds like a plan. In an ideal world I don't want to be too late home as I'm out of the lash (work) tomorrow evening.

ahh... your hectic whirl of work-sponsored strange drinks!
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #9230 on: 04 May, 2016, 04:41:55 pm »
I'm on the 1644 from Liverpool St...  Eta@Stratford 1652

Oscar's dad

« Reply #9231 on: 05 May, 2016, 05:46:06 pm »
Now then, as the excitement of the velodrome evening is behind us  :'(  , and with a backdrop of all the excitement surrounding Audax Club Mid-Essex (not to mention it's jersey  ::-)  ),  my thoughts have turned to the MEMWNS which as I recently mentioned, could be considered the glue that sticks all our mid-Essex activities together.  I think its important that we keep what we do on a Wednesday evening fresh and in rude health.  Given the longevity of the series is down to the people who take part it follows that we should never miss an opportunity to broaden our base of riders or, put another way, spread to love.  And of course there are always pubs we have never or seldom visited. 

So, I have some suggestions for us all to consider ...

Suggestion #1 - Tomsk's Mid-Essex Winter Brevet Populaire Series is a cracking idea and two yacfers based near Bishops Stortford (Bernster and psyclist) have expressed an interest in both Tomsk's rides plus meeting up with us on a Wednesday evening.  Therefore I suggest we take a ride out their way one Wednesday night on a date which suits them.

Suggestion #2 - Mrs 'fandango has a shiny new bike, perhaps we could ride to a Colchester-ish pub to see if we can tempt her out (I'm guessing Sister Carol will tag along as well).  What about the Donkey and Buskin near Layer?  By the way, it was good to see Mrs jibbers last night - we need more WAGs joining us.

Suggestion #3 - many moons ago we met the landlord of the Maltster's Arms at Heybridge who invited us to visit his boozer.  There is also the Heybridge Inn just up the road.  Oaky tells me we have been to both but I can't remember doing so - should we go again?

Suggestion #4 - I got chatting to some chaps on the train the other week and they do a similar thing to us in the Stock / Mill Green area - The Viper is their HQ.  Should we arrange a meet up?

Suggestion #5 - After chatting to some of the Witham Cyclist folks yesterday I think there is an appetite for shorter rides that get back to Witham a bit earlier.  Perhaps the Witham peloton could be made up of two groups?  The Pompey pub ride peoiple, who inspired the MEMWNS, have two groups, perhaps we can trial the idea?

Providing no-one has any violent objections to the above suggestions I am happy to do any organising required.

And of course, does anyone else have some suggestions we could consider?

« Reply #9232 on: 06 May, 2016, 12:21:56 pm »
Suggestion #1 - Tomsk's Mid-Essex Winter Brevet Populaire Series is a cracking idea and two yacfers based near Bishops Stortford (Bernster and psyclist) have expressed an interest in both Tomsk's rides plus meeting up with us on a Wednesday evening.  Therefore I suggest we take a ride out their way one Wednesday night on a date which suits them.
If you're looking to head out to the west or north of Chelmsford, 11th or 18th May would be good for me.

I'm waiting to see what other destinations you'll be using, as I could probably get a bit further afield on some occasions. A forward looking schedule would be useful, but not sure if that fits into how you normally organise the rides.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Oscar's dad

« Reply #9233 on: 06 May, 2016, 12:37:05 pm »
If you're looking to head out to the west or north of Chelmsford, 11th or 18th May would be good for me.

I'm waiting to see what other destinations you'll be using, as I could probably get a bit further afield on some occasions. A forward looking schedule would be useful, but not sure if that fits into how you normally organise the rides.

Unfortunately work precludes me from next Wednesday's ride but that's not to say others don't want to head your way.

Forward planning is frowned upon greatly  ;D but I'm sure we can organise something soon.

« Reply #9234 on: 09 May, 2016, 09:50:11 am »
Any thoughts for Wednesday? Assuming most want to keep it reasonably short (and early) due to BCM on the weekend.

A trip to The Compasses in Littley Green?

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #9235 on: 09 May, 2016, 09:53:19 am »
Any thoughts for Wednesday? Assuming most want to keep it reasonably short (and early) due to BCM on the weekend.

A trip to The Compasses in Littley Green?
:thumbsup:
We would probably like some time to discuss final logistics too.
Also an opportunity to mention to Joss the nomination of The Compasses as a control on my Essex R&R 200k in August and take a show of hands for volunteers to man it  :)
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #9236 on: 09 May, 2016, 10:40:28 am »
 ;D Not sure I would be much use by the time the control closes

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #9237 on: 09 May, 2016, 10:52:57 am »
Compasses works for me.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #9238 on: 10 May, 2016, 04:50:31 pm »
Ok...Compasses it is  :thumbsup:

We can also discuss [twist arms] re the winter brevet series. I'll try and get some more jersey designs done before tomorrow, though I still have G&Y paperwork to do and route-check stuff to sort through too

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #9239 on: 10 May, 2016, 06:30:21 pm »
We can also discuss [twist arms] re the winter brevet series.
We also have some boring grown-up stuff to discuss with regard to Cycle UK (formally known as CTC) membership which is kind of necessary for Velodrome trips and probably ACME organised rides.  I won't put a damper on the usual banter here and save it for discussion at the pub or to keep us awake during the road trip to Wales  :face palm:

Due to essential Team Van maintenance I'll probably be making my own direct way to the Compasses tomorrow, so don't wait for me at the usual departure point.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #9240 on: 10 May, 2016, 08:02:21 pm »
Yes grown up discussions about insurance need to take place, and who better to have those discussions than Tomsk and huggy, our resident grown ups?   ;D

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #9241 on: 10 May, 2016, 08:05:06 pm »
I'd also like to add to the pub agenda, where can I eat late afternoon/evening on Sunday as I audax thorough Grt Dunmow?
Regards,

Joergen

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #9242 on: 11 May, 2016, 08:40:11 am »
I'd also like to add to the pub agenda, where can I eat late afternoon/evening on Sunday as I audax thorough Grt Dunmow?

Paradise Café, by the war memorial in the High Street. Open 08:00-16:00 Sundays - as recommended by Bikey Mikey on his several visits to Dunmow. Basic but clean and friendly greasy spoon.

If you're here after 4pm, then the Angel and Harp at Churchend, but it will be busy...

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #9243 on: 11 May, 2016, 09:15:30 am »
Thanks Tom  :thumbsup:

I'm likely to be there sometime around 16:30, is there a spa / co-op or similar on the high street that might be open?  I'm happy for a milkshake and pasty experience I think :)

(there seems to be a co-op but it looks like its closed on a Sunday, and a off-license that shows on Google as 7d/week open)
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #9244 on: 11 May, 2016, 11:06:46 am »
I will make my own way to the compasses tonight. Likely to be running late but should be there for 9ish

« Reply #9245 on: 11 May, 2016, 02:50:15 pm »
I will not be awheel this evening as I have actual work stuff to do.  If I finish at a reasonable time I might swing by the Compasses on the way home to see what a MEWNWS adult discussion is like  :o
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

« Reply #9246 on: 11 May, 2016, 02:52:04 pm »
I shall be making my own way tonight. I've just replaced the brake pads on the Tripster so there will no doubt be a lot of stop, start, fettle action....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #9247 on: 11 May, 2016, 03:06:53 pm »
I just found that my pads are worn and I don't have a spare set .......hmmmm.....oh well, they should be ok....not much need for brakes on the BCM anyway....most of the down hills are straight.... ;D

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #9248 on: 11 May, 2016, 04:40:15 pm »
I will not be awheel this evening as I have actual work stuff to do.  If I finish at a reasonable time I might swing by the Compasses on the way home to see what a MEWNWS adult discussion is like  :o
You need to be there so we can talk you in to re-committing to BCM  :D

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #9249 on: 11 May, 2016, 05:47:59 pm »
Thanks Tom  :thumbsup:

I'm likely to be there sometime around 16:30, is there a spa / co-op or similar on the high street that might be open?  I'm happy for a milkshake and pasty experience I think :)

(there seems to be a co-op but it looks like its closed on a Sunday, and a off-license that shows on Google as 7d/week open)

Co-op is 10-4 on Sunday, I think. There's a 'One-Stop' in the High Street towards the Chelmsford Road mini-roundabout, which should do. Otherwise the 'Paddock' garage down near the Travelodge has a small shop that ought to be open. Most of the cafes in the town close pretty early on a Sunday.