Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1750164 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #17525 on: 09 March, 2022, 01:51:32 pm »
A rare visit from me to these hallowed pages!

Not mid-week, but in keeping with the ethos: a good friend of mine is doing some stand-up at the Garrison, in Chelmsford, on Friday 1st April. She's quite a regular on the stand-up circuit, mostly in Southend and London.

I've no idea what the Garrison is like as a pub. But - the more the merrier!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #17526 on: 09 March, 2022, 05:20:41 pm »
As the "interimming" forward planning officer, can I suggest the Queen's Head, Boreham this week?

It seems we have more no shows than confirmed thirst quenchers.  Are we still meeting and, if so what time?

« Reply #17527 on: 09 March, 2022, 05:28:53 pm »
I'll see you all at the pub, circa 9pm
Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #17528 on: 09 March, 2022, 05:54:16 pm »
I will aim for 21:00 at the pub.

« Reply #17529 on: 09 March, 2022, 06:23:01 pm »
Ok. Will see you there.

Andy C33

• Beverage Procurement Officer.
« Reply #17530 on: 09 March, 2022, 06:42:39 pm »
Not able to get out tonight

« Reply #17531 on: 09 March, 2022, 07:22:47 pm »
Not out this week as bike in pieces doing new brake pads and cables. Might do the gear cables as well.

While on the subject of maintenance, does this river of rusty stuff mean my head bearings need replacing?

Doesn’t look very pretty, but your headset might be ok - if there’s any knocking when you rock the bike back and forth with the front brake on, it’s not so good. It might be that water has got in between you steerer tube and head tube. Best to take apart, clean it up and regrease. But if there’s knocking and movement with the test above, time to change the headset. Though it could also mean that your headset cap isn’t screwed down tight enough! BFC will be along in a sec to give you the correct instructions…

Many thanks, Joss - I'll try the rocking thing when the brakes are back on!

All the best,
Nick.

« Reply #17532 on: 09 March, 2022, 07:24:28 pm »
Not out this week as bike in pieces doing new brake pads and cables. Might do the gear cables as well.

While on the subject of maintenance, does this river of rusty stuff mean my head bearings need replacing?

Doesn’t look very pretty, but your headset might be ok - if there’s any knocking when you rock the bike back and forth with the front brake on, it’s not so good. It might be that water has got in between you steerer tube and head tube. Best to take apart, clean it up and regrease. But if there’s knocking and movement with the test above, time to change the headset. Though it could also mean that your headset cap isn’t screwed down tight enough! BFC will be along in a sec to give you the correct instructions…
Strip the headset, it is an integrated type of which there are "a few" options/versions. It is probable that water has gone into the bearing assemblies, flushing and re greasing may work but it is probable that the steering will become "indexed".
Identify the headset variant whilst it is apart, there are some differences in bearing OD for the 1 1/8" formats but also two options of cup angle (36 or 45), check both bearings - some variants had different angled seats top/bottom. Bearings may be marked with an industry standard code.
Consider trying to source a stainless steel variant if buying a replacement.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/headsets.html

and a fairly thorough listing of cartridge bearing replacements

https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/Cycling-/-Biking-Bike-Bearings-Cycle-Bearings/c5409_5413_7218/index.html?selection=Angular+Contact+Headset+Ball+Bearings

Fabulous, thank you, BFC for the advice. I will investigate and we will see.

All the best,
Nick.

josser

• ACME Landlord
  • AKA Orange Socks
    • Orange Socks
« Reply #17533 on: 09 March, 2022, 08:39:52 pm »
Given I’ve spent the last 2.5 hours asleep on the sofa. I’m guessing my body needs extra rest tonight. Sorry not to be with you. One more night of freedom and then goodbye MEMWNS  :'(

(Unless you come to me)
You can’t just call time out and stroll on into the beach if you don’t like the way things are goin’.

« Reply #17534 on: 09 March, 2022, 09:04:33 pm »
Queens Head is shut!

« Reply #17535 on: 09 March, 2022, 09:11:14 pm »
Heading to Hatty Pev

Swan or Wheatsheaf

« Reply #17536 on: 09 March, 2022, 10:41:02 pm »
The Swan shut as we walked through the door!

I can take a hint...

josser

• ACME Landlord
  • AKA Orange Socks
    • Orange Socks
« Reply #17537 on: 10 March, 2022, 07:58:53 am »
Oh sorry, Google said they were open until midnight. Did you manage to find somewhere?
You can’t just call time out and stroll on into the beach if you don’t like the way things are goin’.

« Reply #17538 on: 10 March, 2022, 08:29:46 am »
We went to the Wheatsheaf, where the quaffers choice would have been Marston's 61Deep, but it wasn't eligible as it was a keg, not draught.

« Reply #17539 on: 10 March, 2022, 09:36:03 pm »
Back to maintenance.

OK, so the brakes are all done, with new cables so everything lovely there. Also did the rear derailluer cable while I was at it and indexed the gears.

Well, it turns out that, after doing Joss's rocking test, the headset is knackered. Also the rear wheel needs serious trueing/spoke tightening and the freewheel doesn't seem good as the pedals still turn when they shouldn't. Add to this that the jockey wheels rub on one spoke when in the lowes t gear so i have limit screwed that gear out of action. Now I know why I don't look at the bike to see if any work needs doing.

We have a new bike shop in Ongar that I might try but not sure if he does trueing. Do all bike shops do trueing? Have to get this sorted for the Arrows so any repair recommendation places would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Nick.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #17540 on: 11 March, 2022, 07:13:28 am »
Back to maintenance.

OK, so the brakes are all done, with new cables so everything lovely there. Also did the rear derailluer cable while I was at it and indexed the gears.

Well, it turns out that, after doing Joss's rocking test, the headset is knackered. Also the rear wheel needs serious trueing/spoke tightening and the freewheel doesn't seem good as the pedals still turn when they shouldn't. Add to this that the jockey wheels rub on one spoke when in the lowes t gear so i have limit screwed that gear out of action. Now I know why I don't look at the bike to see if any work needs doing.

We have a new bike shop in Ongar that I might try but not sure if he does trueing. Do all bike shops do trueing? Have to get this sorted for the Arrows so any repair recommendation places would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Nick.

Buy beers, take beers and bike to BFC...

felstedrider

« Reply #17541 on: 11 March, 2022, 07:17:18 am »
Back to maintenance.

Cheers,
Nick.

I had a coffee in Allez Allez a few weeks ago and there was a workshop out back.  I can’t vouch for their competence, but I suspect they can sort all your woes out.

I mostly use a workshop near here but it’s a bit of a trek for you.

« Reply #17542 on: 11 March, 2022, 08:55:15 am »
Back to maintenance.

Cheers,
Nick.

Paging @BFC Are you interested in sorting out this mess for beers and money and much appreciation?

« Reply #17543 on: 11 March, 2022, 09:00:21 am »
Back to maintenance.

Cheers,
Nick.

I had a coffee in Allez Allez a few weeks ago and there was a workshop out back.  I can’t vouch for their competence, but I suspect they can sort all your woes out.

I mostly use a workshop near here but it’s a bit of a trek for you.

Thanks, yes - I popped in there yesterday and was chatting with the guy who owns it. He gave me about 4 or 5 metres of Jagwire outer brake cable and only wanted £3 for it, which I though was good. Turns out he used to be a coded welder (well, still is I suppose). They do bike fits and build custom bikes for you. I think they buy the custom frames in and then fit them out with all the bits. Bloke up the road does the bike fits (local sports physio). He didn't mention wheel trueing but if BFC isn't interested/hasn't got time, I might give him a go.

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #17544 on: 11 March, 2022, 09:51:52 am »
Back to maintenance.

Cheers,
Nick.

Paging @BFC Are you interested in sorting out this mess for beers and money and much appreciation?
Either get it over to me or I could collect. I will PM the location of BFC Towers.

« Reply #17545 on: 11 March, 2022, 10:05:16 am »
Back to maintenance.

Cheers,
Nick.

Either get it over to me or I could collect. I will PM the location of BFC Towers.

Ahhh, that is good news - thank you very much and i shall reply to you PM.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #17546 on: 11 March, 2022, 10:45:56 am »
@Nick - if you're lucky BFC will arrive at your house with your wheel attached to the rack of his bike using the special wheel holder he made  ;D  Epic  :thumbsup:

« Reply #17547 on: 11 March, 2022, 10:59:45 am »
You'd never know :-D

felstedrider

« Reply #17548 on: 11 March, 2022, 11:26:08 am »
BFC's garage is an Alladin's cave.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #17549 on: 11 March, 2022, 06:38:51 pm »
Take your whole bike over - I am sure he can hammer it in to shame (sounds like the RD hanger might be a little bent too)
Regards,

Joergen