Author Topic: Brompton Shimano hub generator efficiency  (Read 2582 times)

Brompton Shimano hub generator efficiency
« on: 03 October, 2018, 01:00:42 pm »
I think I remember Kim describing the Brompton Shimano Capreo  hub generator as a bit draggy:

as it is a QR hub with an allen key skewer I wondered if that draggyness was noticed with it 'as supplied', or after any bearing adjustment correction (because Shimano  supply QR hubs with cones tight)?

Any other reviews?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Brompton Shimano hub generator efficiency
« Reply #1 on: 03 October, 2018, 04:45:36 pm »
It was 'as supplied'.

« Reply #2 on: 03 October, 2018, 10:15:06 pm »
I've asked Brompton if they adjust (and perhaps regrease) the Capreo hubs they fit to complete Bromptons (and suggested a info note to be supplied with spare wheels):

that seems a reasonable thing to expect on an expensive bicycle but due to the internal wire routing probably more fiddly than a manufacturer would like?

« Reply #3 on: 10 October, 2018, 11:51:03 am »
Brompton replied:

1) They are moving from Shimano to SP for their basic generator ('dynamo') hub (lighter and more efficient)

2) They claimed the Shimano generator hub was custom made for Brompton and was not modified or part of any Shimano range (presumably they didn't forbid Shimano from selling the design or a descendant-design to others as the Capreo). Also, they said the Shimano's bearings are not meant to be adjusted and the hub should not be disassembled or its bearings adjusted.

So perhaps a good thing for most (i.e. non-Bruceys) they are moving to SP  :)