Author Topic: Mersey Roads '09  (Read 37517 times)

Re: Mersey Roads '09
« Reply #50 on: 17 June, 2009, 12:08:35 am »
In the real world, should i be trying to maintain a constant speed (pushing a bit harder on hills and when the wind is less favourable, resting a bit on descents etc)  or should i be focussing more on keeping a more constant level of power and HR??
The latter.

(as a first approximation - we could debate the finer points ad nauseum - who'd like to start?)

You might want to consider how you'll go at night. If the dark slows you down, maybe build that into your schedule so you don't get demoralised. If it's hot, you may find you can go harder at night - YMMV. (I'm pretty sure everyone picks up as dawn makes itself known).

Yes, I'd ay the latter too. But beware that as the ride goes on, you can be putting in the same mental effort, but not the same physical effort.
I personaly aim to break the ride into 4 6 hour sections.* The first 6 hours, I try and relax as much as  can, but keep my speed up without tiring myself. Then, it's  well into the nigt section. How well I go at night will depend on hgow tired I was beore the rie and how much sleep I've had beforehand. I aim to try not to lose too much during the night.
Then in the next 6 hours, I try to up my game a bit mentally but not overcook it. Try and get bac up to speed, but again without tiring myself out.
Then the last 6 hours. Mentally I gradualy get more fired up as the time ticks on. It depends what I've got left in my legs and how  feelas to what I can do, but on a good day, I'll be one of and sometimes the fastest on the finish circuit. I've had some slow finishes too though. The last hour can feel longer than the first 6 if I'm really going for it.

*Andy Wilkinson was helping a clubmate of his ride a few years ago and told them to break it down into 4 hour sections, so you may want to do as the record holder says. His clubmate did a pretty good ride. About 430 miles or so, I think.

« Reply #51 on: 18 June, 2009, 07:21:54 pm »
i dont break it down into periods of time.  more sections  between enforced stops.
so it`s ,  the start at a fair pace ,for the first 100 miles.   then take stock and consolidate my pace up until dusk.    quick 10 min stop , change bikes onto my night bike , some warm clothes and possibly a change of shoes if its wet.    now i dont rekon to slow down on the night section, this is the point where you can make serious time on just about everybody else.  keep it going  and  in terms of breaking the ride down into smaller sections , i`m looking for midnight.  just becaus that means its sunday.
next thing is dawn,  constantly looking towards the west for the first climpses of that bright orange glow.
probably also means ,you`ve been at it for about hlf the time.  as soon as its safe to do so, i`ll stop for 10 mins ,back onto the tt bike ,stuff some food in your pockets ,with another 6 hour set, take me up to midday trying as much as possible to stay on the quinta brook circuit before they push you onto the finishing circuit.
quinta brook is much quicker and if that means riding flat out for 15/20 mins to make the turn ,before the cut off all the better.   once onto the finishing circuit, i will concede to be beyond the point of careing. its just a case of ramming as much food into your mouth as possible, to keep those pedals turning.   
although i may manage a last ditch surge between my last 2 time keepers.   
with any luck ,thats t a point near the hq.  one year managed to finish right outside. so it was a quick right turn ,to collapse in a heap on the grass.  next problem is standing up to collect your medal.   

« Reply #52 on: 18 June, 2009, 09:10:55 pm »
You must be in a state after the night since the dawn glow arises in the east over the Mersey24 course!

« Reply #53 on: 18 June, 2009, 10:08:34 pm »
Having read sub55's post its all coming flooding back to me.

Why have I entered again? I'm already feeling abit  :sick:  thinking about it.

Rode my first 100 in a very long time today (we are talking years here). Got along way to go in just a month or so.

Sub55 talks about changing bike to a night bike. I tried that and hated it. Really dont like swapping bikes after several hours on one even if the positions are nearly the same. I'll stick to one bike if possible but will have spare handy just in case.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #54 on: 19 June, 2009, 08:57:02 am »
... take me up to midday trying as much as possible to stay on the quinta brook circuit before they push you onto the finishing circuit.
quinta brook is much quicker and if that means riding flat out for 15/20 mins to make the turn ,before the cut off all the better.

I never worked this out. How do you time this? Is there a fixed time when they send you north? (I guess you time yourself round the first lap of QB.)

( 2008 was probably a bad year for this, as I think they had to move things around on the day to accomodate a long vehicle transit around lunchtime. I think I was first onto the finishing circuit ; for some reason I didn't see another rider for bloody ages! )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #55 on: 19 June, 2009, 09:37:38 am »
There are cut off times for the opening and closing of the Quinabrook circuits both on Sat evening and Sunday morning.This is primarily to ensure that marshalls and timekeepers are in place at the appropriate times, and to regroup all riders onto 12 miles of road. The A41 back to the finishing circuit is used intermittently for abnormal loads up till about 1100 hrs and on those occasions it may be necessary to use the Quinabrook circuit for an extra lap after the expected closure at 1015 at Wem Rd roundabout.The aim is to have all riders reaching the start of the finishing circuit well before riders finish from 1301 onwards.

I hope this clarifies the issue.

Chief timekeeper and event controller ( who tries to keep the event running whatever the problems related toweather,road closures or congestion)

Graeme Wyllie

« Reply #56 on: 22 June, 2009, 08:56:59 pm »
There are cut off times for the opening and closing of the Quinabrook circuits both on Sat evening and Sunday morning.

Thanks for the info guys, this is very useful - last year it was a bit of a mystery / blur in my first 24.

So, Sunday morning cut off is 10.15am - what about Saturday night?  I'm sure that my performance on Quina Brook on Saturday evening was probably one of the areas where I could make a significant improvement (that and being ruthless about time off the bike).

Cheers. 

« Reply #57 on: 23 June, 2009, 08:22:57 am »
The intention is for all riders to turn south at Prees island after 2100 on Saturday.However the event controller may make an earlier exception for a slow rider to prevent him/her falling a long way behind the field.The same could apply to the Sunday morning cut offs to prevent a slow rider being last at Prees faced with either a long lonely ride to Battlefield and back,or to the finishing circuit.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #59 on: 30 June, 2009, 02:07:29 pm »
There is nothing in the CTT rules to prevent you carrying as many speakers, batteries and related paraphernalia on your bike in the 24,provided it is roadworthy and safe.If you want to have something stuck in your ear it will have to be a hearing aid and must convince me it is legit.

Chief time keeper and event controller,MRC24 (and occ health physician)

That's funny.  Could have sworn I saw a certain Scottish MR24 veteran with a small radio round his neck and an earpiece in his ear last year.  Apparently he's known for it and never gets DQ'd.

Why do the rules forbid me from riding with an MP3 player, anyway?  RAAM riders are allowed to, aren't they?
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #60 on: 30 June, 2009, 07:17:19 pm »

Why do the rules forbid me from riding with an MP3 player, anyway?  RAAM riders are allowed to, aren't they?

Most likely because they are rules within the CTT, which have to adhered to for CTT events.
CTT rules are all biased to daytime cycling and barely take night riding into consideration. Night riding is supposed to be avoided as much as possble for 12 hour TTs.

The highway code advises against using headphones/earphones while cyclng, so I guess it primarily comes from there.

« Reply #61 on: 30 June, 2009, 08:26:17 pm »
Speaking of rules, anybody know the party line on club clothing.  I'm working away and don't have my handbook to hand.  Specifically, if I ride as part of a club team, do I need to get a jersey?

Thx,

AC
'Accumulating kilometres in the roughest road conditions'...

« Reply #62 on: 30 June, 2009, 09:40:44 pm »
You can ride any jersey as long as it does not carry advertising other than of your club sponsor.It must also have at least quarter sleeves (i.e no sleeveless tri type tops).

« Reply #63 on: 30 June, 2009, 09:46:00 pm »
Charlotte ,if any rider is seen by an official to be contravening rules he/she will be warned and if persists will be dqd. We don't make the rules,just apply them as there is always an official representative of the National Committee present.I guess the rule on earpieces was introduced on safety grounds- bei g aware of other traffic etc..

Graeme Wyllie

« Reply #64 on: 01 July, 2009, 09:48:16 am »
Anybody had an acknowledgement of their entry?  Sent mine off a few weeks ago and have been checking my bank account regularly as I'd take the cheque being cashed as a de facto confirmation.  Can't see anything online either - just having a minor fret as I've booked accomodation Friday and Sunday nights. 

ps - any YACF-ers confirmed as supporting yet?  It was a real morale booster last year to say hello at Prees.

Graeme W (Edinburgh Road Club).

« Reply #65 on: 01 July, 2009, 10:29:24 am »
I'm not sure what support will be around from the forum as it's LEL weekend.

I'm not sure whether I've got a place yet, only sent off my entry in the nick of time. If I haven't I'll be there for support  :)

« Reply #66 on: 01 July, 2009, 12:37:50 pm »
Anybody had an acknowledgement of their entry? 

The entry's only just closed. They've got to work out the start list first.

« Reply #67 on: 01 July, 2009, 01:59:29 pm »
My wife and daughter will be support crew for me in a dark grey high top VW camper. If anyone needs help or kit they will help out if they can.

Got a YACF line up yet?
who's entered?

I'm off out for a night ride tonight to check out lights. Got fed up of daytime training on my Thursday day of work each week as the traffic is so bad round here on the flatter roads. Figured it would be abit less busy at 2am. Might be abit cooler too  ;D

Re MP3's I've seen folks using them in previous years too. Just remember that they could ride for many hours and then be DQ'd
It's not worth the bother really. Just enjoy listening to your gears humming a happy tune.

Graeme Wyllie

« Reply #68 on: 02 July, 2009, 01:17:33 pm »
Phoned the organsier - entry received safely.

I'll post my number here once the start list has been finalised. 

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #69 on: 02 July, 2009, 09:34:40 pm »
  ps - any YACF-ers confirmed as supporting yet?  It was a real morale booster last year to say hello at Prees.
Mr Y, I'm told that I'm to be riding this on tandem with "a certain Scottish MR24 veteran", subject to him having sent our entries off in time.

The plan, so far, is that mrs eck will be on hand to offer comfort and succour (of a strictly limited nature  :P) , along with Megajoules Expenditure of this parish, who will be supporting Mr DD. PM me if you think it might help to co-ordinate "stuff".

It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #70 on: 02 July, 2009, 09:52:41 pm »

Mr Y, I'm told that I'm to be riding this on tandem with "a certain Scottish MR24 veteran", subject to him having sent our entries off in time.

How ever did you fall for that one?

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #71 on: 02 July, 2009, 09:59:09 pm »

How ever did you fall for that one?
;D ;D
I know, I know, I saw it coming a mile off too... 
Oh well, it will be an experience - for both of us.  :D
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #72 on: 08 July, 2009, 01:58:53 pm »
The start sheet is now up.

After not doing any CTT open event before, I was expecting to see my name in the top 20 listed. Cue horror, mixed with an aftertaste of relief when I noticed I wasn't there. Then I had some relief, with an aftertaste of horror, when i found my name in the 60s.

It's only 2 weeks away!! Crumbs..........

Really Ancien

« Reply #73 on: 08 July, 2009, 02:14:50 pm »
Interesting, Howard Waller on a Tricycle, his mileage of 239.96 in last years's Icknield 12 points towards a possible new record, beyond the  457.89 miles set by E. Tremaine in 1972. The main competition seems to be between John Warnock and Jose Pinon Shaw. Our own Ian H also starts. The Royal Navy and Royal Marines Cycling Association has a six man team.

Damon.

« Reply #74 on: 08 July, 2009, 08:43:12 pm »
Interesting, Howard Waller on a Tricycle, his mileage of 239.96 in last years's Icknield 12 points towards a possible new record, beyond the  457.89 miles set by E. Tremaine in 1972. The main competition seems to be between John Warnock and Jose Pinon Shaw. Our own Ian H also starts. The Royal Navy and Royal Marines Cycling Association has a six man team.

Damon.

Howard Waler rode about 465 ish in 2006. So subtract the 10% for a trike and the record looks safe. On paper that is.
This will be my first ever no-show on a 24 since 1997 :o
I'm riding like a fat blob at the moment and have bugger all speed. I never summond up the enthusiasm to send off my entry.
I'll offer my services as a marshall. O:-)