Author Topic: www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk WEBSITE ** NOT **CLOSING  (Read 1976 times)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk WEBSITE ** NOT **CLOSING
« on: 13 September, 2019, 08:38:57 pm »
After nearly 10 years I have decided to pension off the Cycle End-to-End website at the end of September 2019 when my webspace service comes up for renewal.

It's been fun creating it and helping lots of cyclists with information, guidance etc to plan and ride what is arguably the UK's greatest challenge ride.   

So, a thank you to everyone that supplied journals, listed their rides and supported the website - if you're contemplating the ride then download anything you want before the closure.

Rob
- webmaster - www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk WEBSITE CLOSING
« Reply #1 on: 13 September, 2019, 08:47:39 pm »
The purist will tell you (normally spluttering through his beard and spilling real ale on his sandals) that the REAL end-to-end is actually from Lizard Point to Dunnett Head ... whatever, the rides listed and the content of the website relate to the "principle of an end-to-end"

That wasn't inspired by something I said on my blog, was it?  ;D

Quote from: Wowbagger
Eventually, we reached the lighthouse and in many ways, our journey's end. To me, Land's End to John O'Groats was incidental, a ride for the tabloids. Lizard's Point to Dunnet Head is a journey for the purist.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

robgul

Re: www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk WEBSITE CLOSING
« Reply #2 on: 13 September, 2019, 08:53:15 pm »
The purist will tell you (normally spluttering through his beard and spilling real ale on his sandals) that the REAL end-to-end is actually from Lizard Point to Dunnett Head ... whatever, the rides listed and the content of the website relate to the "principle of an end-to-end"

That wasn't inspired by something I said on my blog, was it?  ;D

Quote from: Wowbagger
Eventually, we reached the lighthouse and in many ways, our journey's end. To me, Land's End to John O'Groats was incidental, a ride for the tabloids. Lizard's Point to Dunnet Head is a journey for the purist.

Nah, "END TO END" covered a multitude of rides that were from the end of somewhere to the other end . . . .  although THE E2E in the form of LEJOG/JOGLE was the most popular by far

Rob

robgul

Re: www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk WEBSITE ** NOT **CLOSING
« Reply #3 on: 28 September, 2019, 07:49:27 pm »
I'm delighted to announce that the www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk  website is NOT now closing.

One of the cycling fora has stepped in with a generous offer of hosting and technical support to enable the site to continue . . . . it's already moved to the new host :thumbsup:

Over the next few months I plan to update and revitalise the site - some technical changes and some content.

Do please contribute your ride dates, journals etc - and a BIG THANK YOU to everyone that both posted messages and also sent messages direct to me - I'm flattered that the site appears to be so well-received and enjoyed by so many people.

Rob

Phil W

« Reply #4 on: 29 September, 2019, 10:55:20 am »
Fantastic news. It's a great resource for E2E

robgul

« Reply #5 on: 21 October, 2019, 10:04:28 am »
Site is down for a short while (showing an ISP default page) while the domain registration is being moved.

Rob

robgul

« Reply #6 on: 24 October, 2019, 08:09:23 pm »
Site is down for a short while (showing an ISP default page) while the domain registration is being moved.

Rob

Back online now!

Rob