Author Topic: What to do with my Vista HCx?  (Read 9237 times)

Re: What to do with my Vista HCx?
« Reply #50 on: 29 April, 2014, 08:23:02 am »
ok looks like I'm stuck with the Vista for a year or so until I decide it's paid its way; what does the PCB "bodge" involve? in terms of getting the thing apart and soldering, and then back together

Looks like there is a step by step guide here: 
Vista® HCx Bad Contact Issue
http://www.takeadventure.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=327%3Avistahcsbadcontactissue&catid=11%3Agps&Itemid=25
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #51 on: 29 April, 2014, 08:50:00 am »
What is needed? Water resistant glue (Loctite PowerGel), tape with matt surface (Scott Magic Tape), soldering iron, scalpel, sand paper, alcohol and some basic tools.

hic!
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Martin

« Reply #52 on: 06 May, 2014, 11:07:38 pm »
OK I'm planning some medical research;

an autopsy on my old dead unit in order to provide life saving keyhole surgery on my live one; was thinking if I can drill down to where the battery contacts meet the PCB I could just fill the gap with solder and avoid taking it apart; irreversible but WTF?

if it fails it's going into the next stretch of water like I felt like doing off the ferry after the weekend's IOW turn-off-o-fest  :(

« Reply #53 on: 07 May, 2014, 08:36:17 am »
OOI what batteries do you use?  Some people report that the problem went away after to changing to highest capacity i.e. fatter NiMh batteries.  If I was having to sort out the battery contacts issue, I'd just pull the unit apart, & follow the steps in the link above (assuming this is an 'accepted method'), as I have a soldering set (£8 off amazon), and all I'd need AFAIA would be some double sided tape and a bit of wire.  IMO 'drilling' through is unlikely to end well.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Martin

« Reply #54 on: 07 May, 2014, 02:10:21 pm »
OOI what batteries do you use?  Some people report that the problem went away after to changing to highest capacity i.e. fatter NiMh batteries.  If I was having to sort out the battery contacts issue, I'd just pull the unit apart, & follow the steps in the link above (assuming this is an 'accepted method'), as I have a soldering set (£8 off amazon), and all I'd need AFAIA would be some double sided tape and a bit of wire.  IMO 'drilling' through is unlikely to end well.

Sanyo 2450mAH as recommended OTP, they are still bright as a button on 4 bars even though the thing turned itslef off from the start of the ride

I'm past caring, f'd off with the model full stop, I'm not going to try re-sticking the rubber band as that lasted about 10 minutes last time  :(

can someone confirm that this is NOT a problem with the new etrexes?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #55 on: 07 May, 2014, 02:19:45 pm »

I doubt it.  I haven't heard of a new eTrex failing this way, but it took the last one years to get to that point.

They have at least done away with the rubber band.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #56 on: 07 May, 2014, 02:26:00 pm »
Much of this is due to vibration in the bike mount. The new style mount is a lot more solid, which should help.

For the old style mount, you can usually reduce vibration by adding a layer of duct tape.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #57 on: 07 May, 2014, 02:42:09 pm »
Much of this is due to vibration in the bike mount. The new style mount is a lot more solid, which should help.

I'm unconvinced.  Stopping the unit from rattling relative to the bike is going to do nothing for all the far more significant vibrations the entire bike is subjected to.  Those are just less obvious to the rider, who lacks a frame of reference to observe them against.

Which isn't to say that the rattling isn't annoying (it is) or that the new bracket isn't better (it is).

« Reply #58 on: 07 May, 2014, 02:56:59 pm »
I cut a 30cm length of sellotape and stuck that around each battery. This almost eliminated my Etrex Vista from switching off.
I use Maplin and Tesco batteries. (the Tesco ones came with the fast charger)

I pulled the terminal out to give it a clean the other week because it was noticeably corroded and the unit has been cutting out more often recently. I snapped it off, so I now have a new Etrex 30.

I'll have a go at getting the Vista going again by making a new battery connector. Should only need a thin bit of sheet metal, some scissors/tin snips and maybe some superglue.

« Reply #59 on: 07 May, 2014, 02:58:54 pm »
I went through resoldering, padding out the battery contacts etc. It helped, but didn't fix things.

Taking apart and reassembly is easy. If you balk at doing that, really, don't even try soldering or anything else. Ordinary double-sided tape worked just fine when putting it back together.

I'm far from convinced that this is an issue with battery contacts or lead-pcb contacts 'bouncing' apart. I suspect vibration is damaging something else on the PCB and the problem may lie with a dry joint that gets worse over time.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #60 on: 07 May, 2014, 03:07:53 pm »
I think it is the rattling (which I wouldn't notice as an annoyance - I get far more annoying things on every bike ride like creaky shoes and painful knees).  The rattle is a whole different layer of vibration from just the general road shock you feel through the handlebars.   It may have a particular resonance or a particular plane of motion which exacerbates the problem.  AIUI it's not only contact bounce as such, but a wear patch forming on the PCB, as a result of the bouncing.

I did find that using lithium cells (half the weight of NiMHs) seemed to improve matters quite a lot, the whole GPS being substantially lighter with these in.  However ...

I can confirm that it is not a problem with the old etrexes. 
I used to get the problem, back before I knew any better, but that was several years ago and since eliminating rattle by packing the mount out with PVC tape, it has not happened again.  OK, maybe that's a negative proof, but I'm talking 5 or 6 trouble-free years of middling mileage, between 2 of us, using NiMHs, admittedly with more than one GPS each during that time.

The internal construction of the new etrexes is just the same as the old ones in this regard, but the mount (assuming it is a genuine Garmin one) has a much tighter grip. 

« Reply #61 on: 07 May, 2014, 03:16:28 pm »
I think it is the rattling (which I wouldn't notice as an annoyance - I get far more annoying things on every bike ride like creaky shoes and painful knees).  The rattle is a whole different layer of vibration from just the general road shock you feel through the handlebars.   It may have a particular resonance or a particular plane of motion which exacerbates the problem.  AIUI it's not only contact bounce as such, but a wear patch forming on the PCB, as a result of the bouncing.
I could replicate the shutdown issue off the bike with a single sharp tap.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #62 on: 07 May, 2014, 03:46:09 pm »
I can confirm that it is not a problem with the old etrexes. 
I used to get the problem, back before I knew any better, but that was several years ago and since eliminating rattle by packing the mount out with PVC tape, it has not happened again.  OK, maybe that's a negative proof, but I'm talking 5 or 6 trouble-free years of middling mileage, between 2 of us, using NiMHs, admittedly with more than one GPS each during that time.

Counterexample:

Had an eTrex Legend.  Got annoyed with rattle so padded the brackets.  Upgraded to a Vista HCx.  Kept the padding, so rattle-free from new.  After a few years, holes in the PCB contacts causing intermittent cutouts.  Repaired by adding wires, but rubber band terminally slack with age.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #63 on: 07 May, 2014, 03:55:23 pm »
I confidently expect my new E30 to fail early (that is if I don't kick it into touch in disgust first) due to repeated case flex from being wrestled out of that very grippy mount. 
Never mind, I also confidently expect an E40 before the end of the year.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #64 on: 07 May, 2014, 04:00:29 pm »
My money's on the stupid SD card slot being a major weakness on the e30, albeit not a terminal one.

Martin

« Reply #65 on: 07 May, 2014, 09:16:43 pm »
I just want something that works and not at all interested in any more bodges FFS; you are all guiding me towards an Edge  :-\

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #66 on: 08 May, 2014, 09:06:18 am »
 :facepalm:

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #67 on: 08 May, 2014, 09:25:03 am »
Haven't had a single problem with my Oregon, 4 years old now (I think) and has probably done 30,000 miles with me.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #68 on: 08 May, 2014, 10:41:25 am »
I just want something that works and not at all interested in any more bodges FFS; you are all guiding me towards an Edge  :-\

It's consumer-grade electronics.  It's all going to be engineered down to a price.

If you want true reliability, you'll have to look at military-spec or marine hardware or something.  Though that's probably cutting edge 1996 technology and won't mount on a bike.

My experiences are that eTrexes are Good Enough.  All mine have worked reliably for years in high-vibration environments, exposed to water and direct sunlight, and occasionally dropped.  The Vista HCx developed rubber band and battery faults after 5 years, the Yellow and Legend are still fully functional, and the 30 is on its second year with no faults.

I wouldn't expect that reliability from, say, a camera or mobile phone.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #69 on: 08 May, 2014, 11:14:22 am »
I think it was about 6 years ago that I bought mine. I had it replaced when the rubber band came adrift. Other than that, I have had excellent service from it. Still use it. I keep looking for an excuse to get something else, but I'm prejudiced against the more recent Etrexes for some reason. Can't remember why now, but there's something in the back of my mind.

I quite like the look of the 62s but I don't know if there's a bike mount available and, to be honest, I have no need for one whilst my Etrex Vista HCx is still working.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #70 on: 08 May, 2014, 01:49:37 pm »
62 uses the same mount as the new Etreex, Oregon, Dakota etc etc.  Though it's now a 64

Martin

« Reply #71 on: 08 May, 2014, 11:09:59 pm »
the Vista is for sale (I've bought a new etrex 30) thoroughly pissed off with it; I'm sure it will work perfectly for anyone who doesn't have to ride along my shit roads

£30 posted or it's going on ebay pm if interested

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #72 on: 10 May, 2014, 10:26:52 pm »
Haven't had a single problem with my Oregon, 4 years old now (I think) and has probably done 30,000 miles with me.

My Dakota is about 4 years old also and is still working fine.
Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #73 on: 11 May, 2014, 07:16:28 am »
the Vista is for sale (I've bought a new etrex 30) thoroughly pissed off with it; I'm sure it will work perfectly for anyone who doesn't have to ride along my shit roads

I'll bung you £30 for it.
PM me.

« Reply #74 on: 13 May, 2014, 12:09:04 pm »

I'll bung you £30 for it.
PM me.

Awww Dammit, I needed a replacement for my black and white gpsmap60 that can't hold enough maps to get from London to Dunwich anymore.

Never mind, back to ebay.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.