Author Topic: Tidying up a steel pannier rack  (Read 888 times)

Fennec

Tidying up a steel pannier rack
« on: 10 May, 2020, 11:22:48 am »
Hi all.

I have a fairly old Tubus pannier rack which is basically sound, but has areas where the powder coating has rubbed, and small areas of minor surface corrosion.

It’s going on my newly acquired ‘third-hand but as new and very pretty’ CdF. I’d quite like the condition of the rack to be a closer match to the bike!

Any suggestions for the best way/products to dolly it up a bit without it being cheaper and less hassle to just buy a new one?

Re: Tidying up a steel pannier rack
« Reply #1 on: 10 May, 2020, 11:42:46 am »
Next time you put panniers on your problem will disappear the corrosion will turn into shiny steel😅as the panniers will move and rub off the surface corrosion.

Fennec

« Reply #2 on: 10 May, 2020, 02:02:30 pm »
Haha, good point!

Actually I’m thinking that as the bike also is getting a 20 year old B17 and a 10 year old Carradice saddlebag, it’s probably easy to enjoy the beausage and wait for the rest of the bike to catch up.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #3 on: 10 May, 2020, 06:20:22 pm »
I painted mine with some silver paint, probably smooth Hammerite or some such. Then I swapped it for an aluminium rack because the Tubus one was too narrow.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #4 on: 24 May, 2020, 06:42:06 pm »
You could fine sand the worn areas, then spray it with some anti corrosion primer followed by spraypaint whichever colour it was originally. That finish won't last as long as the original, but it will look okay.