Author Topic: ebay & stuff from China  (Read 1604 times)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
ebay & stuff from China
« on: 07 November, 2018, 06:26:13 pm »
I've 3 or 4 experiences recently where I've bought "Buy it now" items from ebay sellers in China - ranging in value from about £3 to £70 - all promptly acknowledged the order, then sent sent a confirmation of despatch message with a target delivery time several weeks ahead (which I expected)

When no goods turn up about 2 weeks after the end of the target date range I sent a "where is it, I'd like the item" message via ebay .... no response, just an instant refund to my PayPal account.

What's going on? ... what benefit does the seller get other than a) pissing me off, and b) (possibly) having the use of £n of money for a few weeks.

Any ideas?   [Let's not get into the pros and cons of purchasing stuff from China - it's the transaction issue]

Rob

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: ebay & stuff from China
« Reply #1 on: 07 November, 2018, 06:33:48 pm »
I've generally found the stuff turns up earlier than quoted; the last thing (unavailable anywhere else) took only a week.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2 on: 07 November, 2018, 06:48:44 pm »
I recently bought something from Singapore and it arrived considerably earlier than the receipt email stated it would.

OK, I know Singapore isn't China, but it indicates that airmail from the Far East does work.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #3 on: 07 November, 2018, 06:50:45 pm »
Maybe your postie is nicking them? Or its getting stopped at customs for some reason.
Its not worth the seller paying the extra costs for tracked postage, they just accept that some of them will get lost, and refund when necessary.

Worth checking AliExpress as well, it can be good for buying from China. Can be cheaper than Ebay, or a better range of stuff.

robgul

« Reply #4 on: 07 November, 2018, 07:49:44 pm »
Maybe your postie is nicking them? Or its getting stopped at customs for some reason.
Its not worth the seller paying the extra costs for tracked postage, they just accept that some of them will get lost, and refund when necessary.

Worth checking AliExpress as well, it can be good for buying from China. Can be cheaper than Ebay, or a better range of stuff.

I think it's unikley to be theft at Royal Mail - and to refund an immediate £70 without question seems generous!

The latest item had a tracking number that showed the item going into "Speedpak" which is, I think, an ebay owned service

Rob

« Reply #5 on: 07 November, 2018, 10:03:58 pm »
Maybe just trying it on, enough punters don't bother pursuing it to make it worthwhile.

ian

« Reply #6 on: 07 November, 2018, 10:08:11 pm »
Grey market stuff. They take orders for things they hope they'll have.

« Reply #7 on: 08 November, 2018, 07:47:32 am »
What hacks me off is occasionally I've bought stuff that's supposedly shipping from the UK, with a UK-based seller, and then it takes weeks to get there from China.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #8 on: 08 November, 2018, 07:54:06 am »
What hacks me off is occasionally I've bought stuff that's supposedly shipping from the UK, with a UK-based seller, and then it takes weeks to get there from China.
Report them to eBay.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

robgul

« Reply #9 on: 08 November, 2018, 06:59:15 pm »

... and Amazon does that too - but equallyI have bought stuff from Chinese ebay people that's been posted from an address in Manchester .. presumably just a logistics partner.

Rob

robgul

« Reply #10 on: 25 November, 2018, 04:35:27 pm »
After the cancelled order I immediately placed another for the same item same supplier, a quid less - cam within 10 days with detailed tracking of planes taking off and landing, RM vans being loaded and the postie arriving at my door.  So what were they up to first time?

Rob