Author Topic: Today I am Listening To...  (Read 778503 times)

Re: Today I am Listening To...
« Reply #4950 on: 30 September, 2016, 11:33:58 am »
For the first time in decades, Marillion's Misplaced Childhood. Bloody hell, it's pretentious.  ;D
I had the misfortune of hearing part of Marc Almond's rendition of Jackie on R2 a few evenings ago.  I'm sure Brel would have been positively spinning in his grave.  The 80s were truly different times...

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #4951 on: 04 October, 2016, 08:01:55 pm »
Marc Riley on 6Music.  He's playing a session from something called 'Plastic Mermaids'.  I think I like it. 
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #4952 on: 04 October, 2016, 11:37:47 pm »
Trembling Bells. They're a bit like Deep Purple crossed with Fairport Convention.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #4953 on: 05 October, 2016, 07:32:09 am »
Marc Riley on 6Music.  He's playing a session from something called 'Plastic Mermaids'.  I think I like it. 

Caught parts of it as I was cooking and downloaded some stuff this morning. Enjoying it so far. Similar in some ways to more recent Mercury Rev.

Based on what I think you like from your posts I think you may like it! :)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4954 on: 14 October, 2016, 02:53:20 pm »
A strange mix, today.

Nathaniel Ratliff (our tickets for Leeds arrived today)
Followed by Terrorvision - Super Delux
Then onto Tool - Aenima.

I did wait until Mrs T had gone out before I put the last one on, though.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #4955 on: 15 October, 2016, 04:16:45 pm »
Just home from town with Billy Bragg's latest CD, "Shine A Light", in my pocket. It's him and Joe Henry(*) traveling across America by train, in a bit of a Woody Guthrie stylee.  It's subtitled "Field Recordings From The Great American Railroad", and has stuff like Rock Island Line, Midnight Special, John Henry.  It works for me.

* I'd not heard of John Henry, but Wiki tells me he's got a pedigree as long as your arm ( an American singer-songwriter, guitarist, and producer. He has released 13 studio albums and produced multiple recordings for other artists, including three Grammy Award-winning albums). He's also Madonna's brother in law.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #4956 on: 22 October, 2016, 05:18:29 pm »
Just found Ancantha Lang, a big blues voice, worth keeping an eye on, methinks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Clz5LyOUorY

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #4957 on: 24 October, 2016, 07:28:30 pm »
Have just dug out a "Best of Chess" double album and am listening to Buddy Guy at the moment cos Phil Chess' death has been announced. 
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #4958 on: 31 October, 2016, 12:19:05 am »
Radio 3...

No words, just music. But a fascinating, ear-opening collection of familiar pieces by performers with a very different approach from the mainstream, the usual romantic stuff and some intriguing pieces (at a guess) from the last half century. I can't place the work with an oriental flavour - quarter tones at a guess - but probably a European composer. Nor the piece that seem to owe a lot to the minimalists but had something different to say. The whole of the Dr Who theme raised more questions than answers.

The team at R3 obviously had fun with the programming. How do you wind down from an organ symphony (I think)... to the monumental chaconne from Bach's D minor partita? How do you choose a violinist whose approach to the solo partita fits in with the final work of the day, that can only have been Wagner?

I know the details are available on the BBC website, but somehow that's not quite the point.

I have a suspicion that R3 may have been subtly taking the piss out of Classic FM. There was some cherry-picking of movements - the Bach chaconne for example, but the programming was joined-up. 

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4959 on: 31 October, 2016, 11:14:11 am »
It's the words on R3 which I find more off-putting than the music.  I can usually tune out the Stuffs by modern composers who make early Sonic Youth sound like Cole Porter but the grate ponces wittering on between pieces make me want to throw things at the wireless.  And I only ever hear R3 at Fort Larrington, so it's not my wireless.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #4960 on: 12 November, 2016, 10:12:33 pm »
I've just played an old vinyl record I've not played for years.

Little Feat: Feats Don't Fail Me Now.

I'd forgotten just how good it is.  I need to take the Rock n Roll Doctors advice more often.

Lowell George.
Two degrees in be-bop, a PhD in swing
He's the master of rhythm, he's a rock and roll king.

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #4961 on: 20 November, 2016, 07:42:22 pm »
John Shuttleworth, on the wireless.

It's my time to shine,
Not the moon's, or the sun's,
Or Martin Clunes'

Chris Difford making a valiant, but inevitably doomed, attempt to be the straight man.

« Reply #4962 on: 24 November, 2016, 11:40:26 am »
I've just played an old vinyl record I've not played for years.

Little Feat: Feats Don't Fail Me Now.

I'd forgotten just how good it is.  I need to take the Rock n Roll Doctors advice more often.

Lowell George.
Two degrees in be-bop, a PhD in swing
He's the master of rhythm, he's a rock and roll king.

That very lyric pings into my head every time someone in the house mentions a degree or a phd. They sometimes are sung aloud rather than internally.

« Reply #4963 on: 24 November, 2016, 12:24:08 pm »
Gretchen Peters - Blackbird

Once of the best albums I have heard for a while. It's somewhat dark.

https://youtu.be/a5hIn569qMQ

last thing I remember was your footsteps in the hall
whisky in your voice and a shotgun on the wall
now there’s shadows in the shadows, there’s trouble in the cane
and there’s things you do that you just can’t explain
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #4964 on: 24 November, 2016, 12:52:34 pm »
Rory Gallagher - I fall apart

This is a beautiful song from his first solo album. Lovely guitar work (of course) with some interesting insertion of Celtic chords and progressions. I love the production as well, not sure anyone would release an album with such loose and sloppy production these days, it was deliberate apparently and I like it.

https://youtu.be/pjxhwNrhIgA

« Reply #4965 on: 24 November, 2016, 02:29:32 pm »
Gretchen Peters - Blackbird

Once of the best albums I have heard for a while. It's somewhat dark.
It is a good album, also try out Hello Cruel World. I think the lyrics of Five Minutes are excellent.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4966 on: 29 November, 2016, 11:02:48 am »
Terrorvision - Super Delux

Maybe it will banish the ear worms I have in my head after the knockout gig I went to on Friday night!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #4967 on: 29 November, 2016, 11:16:41 am »
Rory Gallagher - I fall apart

This is a beautiful song from his first solo album. Lovely guitar work (of course) with some interesting insertion of Celtic chords and progressions. I love the production as well, not sure anyone would release an album with such loose and sloppy production these days, it was deliberate apparently and I like it.

https://youtu.be/pjxhwNrhIgA

I usually love Rory Gallagher but I found this a little wearing in places (not that he'd ask me!).  In the first verse he rhymes "apart" with, wait for it, "apart" and in the second he just fails to reach the top note (the tonic) in his vocal on each of the four lines and I kept wanting to shout "push!" like a midwife!

« Reply #4968 on: 02 December, 2016, 10:24:46 am »
Angel Olsen

A new discovery for me. Great headphone music.

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #4969 on: 03 December, 2016, 06:05:57 pm »
The Floyd, man.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #4970 on: 03 December, 2016, 06:51:45 pm »
Manon Lescaut, live from the Met.  Makes for rather pleasant background music.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #4971 on: 06 December, 2016, 02:37:24 pm »
Thee Oh Sees - Plastic Plant

Came free on a CD with Uncut. Garage psychedelica and oh my god the base !

The base doesn't seem so loud, driving and amazing on Youtube but in the car cranked up - drool.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4972 on: 06 December, 2016, 06:31:28 pm »
Various Robyn Hitchcock live recordings of dubious provenance.  Well, alright, bootlegs.  (Re-)Ripping them from cassette.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #4973 on: 08 December, 2016, 11:20:23 pm »
Live music making in all its glorious diversity.

In the morning Mrs N's U3A (University of the Third Age, aka crumblies) ukulele group performed Christmas songs with audience participation. Amazingly it was all pitched so that even my decrepit voice could cope, though I did wonder how the soprano voices managed the low notes at the end of "White Christmas". The ensemble playing & singing was excellent.

Lunch on a train to the city was followed by a glorious performance of wind music by eight CBSO musicians. A wind octet is not exactly chamber music, but they knew the acoustics of the CBSO Centre and they played as a chamber ensemble. Lots of communication by body language. They opened my ears to the complexities of a wind band. I had no idea that a bassoon (Margaret Cookhorn) could alter a simple dance rhythm into ensemble music with a bounce worthy of Tigger. The finale, one of Dvorak's slavonic dances transcribed (superbly) for wind band was both a super virtuoso piece and huge fun. There were quite a few others in the grey brigade audience who joined me in laughing at the end, before the formal applause started. The performers grinned.

« Reply #4974 on: 16 December, 2016, 05:36:11 pm »
Doyle Bramhall II

Can sing, produce and play guitar well enough to be hired by Clapton amongst others - I hate him.
Doesn't release enough of his own stuff in my opinion.

Here he is is live in 2014 playing with Sheryl Crow.  Skip to 5:30 for a brilliant version of Doyle's "I'm leaving" with Sheryl singing backing vocals.

https://youtu.be/rFflPzgQSnM

Or what about this from his new album. Its got a hell of a groove.

https://youtu.be/2gYfXL4rOto