Author Topic: Today I am Listening To...  (Read 778566 times)

Re: Today I am Listening To...
« Reply #5775 on: 15 July, 2023, 07:23:15 pm »
Alladin Sane - David Bowie [again]
Takes me way back......always loved that album.
But...goodness me...released in 1973.......it is 50yrs old!!!!
Well, avant-guard "1. Outside" is nearly 30.
It is such a class album, I get a big  ;D that #2 son enjoys playing it (but he likes everything atm).

I recently returned to a couple album I thought were a bit meh at the time
"Book" by TMBG, which I am really digging
"Doggrel" by the Pixies, which is better this time round, but still a bit beige - struggling to pick out a song I would recommend as a single and as an album it brings nothing new to the table imo.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #5776 on: 15 July, 2023, 07:55:00 pm »
The “Never Strays Far” podcast
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #5777 on: 17 July, 2023, 01:22:53 pm »
Today's helping of retro is The Human League. I'd forgottn quite how much I liked them.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5778 on: 25 July, 2023, 12:45:10 pm »
A load of Netherlands people singing & playing Mozart's mass in C minor.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

sam

« Reply #5779 on: 27 July, 2023, 07:31:44 pm »

Romeo Had Juliet, Lou Reed

I'm in a New York state of mind.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5780 on: 04 August, 2023, 06:09:10 pm »
The Old Forge Sessions by the mighty Amplifier.  Re-recorded, extended and progged to the nth degree versions of various old songs.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #5781 on: 12 August, 2023, 11:48:51 pm »
Bach's Well-Tempered Klavier, book 1, played by Sviatoslav Richter. He's using a Bösendorfer piano.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EnosoXeTWI&ab_channel=ClassicalMusic refers.

I'm trying to decide which of the 48 will be my next piano piece that I learn.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5782 on: 11 September, 2023, 08:48:32 pm »
Steve Reich's Music for 18 Musicians: https://youtu.be/R36S3Kldj80?si=xCExPwMQQqChxkYy

I've never listened to any Steve Reich before but was led to this by Citoyen and Jurek quoting "Oh Superman" lyrics and then the mysterious algorithm of YouTube. It's really rather intriguing.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5783 on: 20 September, 2023, 10:04:23 am »
In the rear, where four men argued in Spanish over glasses of beer, a juke box, lit up green and red, played "Media Luz".
So of course I had to look up "Media Luz" and of course it's on Youtube: https://youtu.be/TwEAF3clZys?si=qMwUtbqgBF278hX2

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5784 on: 23 September, 2023, 10:58:21 am »
Was listening to Jorge Salgueiro's Tuba Concerto but baled after a while. No harm to the bloke but it's a bit ordinary and his colour was alarming.

I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #5785 on: 23 September, 2023, 12:49:12 pm »
Ha!  Can't help thinking that the composer/conductor's silly little bum-freezer jacket merely emphasised the notes coming from the tuba.  The joke may have been on the audience!  Of course it may all be deadly serious, including the imminent demise of the "alarmingly coloured" virtuoso!

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5786 on: 23 September, 2023, 01:31:04 pm »
I managed the whole thing, in fact while I was listening the postie arrived and I didn't know until he rapped on the window (large parcel). It got less farty and more dramatic, even a bit clashing, towards the end. Not sure I'll be seeking out anything else by him. And his jacket is oddly shiny.

« Reply #5787 on: 23 September, 2023, 01:34:16 pm »
Cudzo and T42, following down the right hand side of the youtube video, I found this fabulous rendition of Mozart's Clarinet Concerto

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT_63UntRJE

It's almost too much to bear knowing that in 1791, Mozart not only wrote this, the defining work in the clarinet repertoire, The motet, Ave Verum Corpus, Symphonies 39,40 and 41 and most of his Requiem.  That he also somehow found time to die seems just too precocious.

"Amadeus" is a terrific film - but almost complete bollox!  Far from being a flibbertigibbett, he must have pretty much worked himself to death.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #5788 on: 23 September, 2023, 01:51:11 pm »
I listened to about 5 minutes of the tuba concerto but that was enough for me. I wonder what a trombonist thinks when they are asked to play just using a mouthpiece without a trombone attached?

I'm now listening to Mozart's clarinet concerto. Some time in the last century, I attended a prom in which this was one of the works. The other was a Bruckner symphony. I find Bruckner quite an odd composer. I think his symphonies are dire, but he wrote some absolutely wonderful choral works, such as https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfSKU3pvZwc&ab_channel=EugenJochum-Topic

A few years ago we performed the Mozart C minor mass and the clarinet concerto was the other half of the concert, in which the soloist was one William Knight. Quite randomly, a few weeks ago I was swimming with a friend-of-a-friend and it turned out to be his older sister. I also found out that their mum, whom I knew was a talented violinist, sings alto in our choir.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5789 on: 23 September, 2023, 02:00:10 pm »
I wonder what a trombonist thinks when they are asked to play just using a mouthpiece without a trombone attached?
Possibly a sequence along the lines of: What a load of tosh! > Have I got anything else on? > How much is he paying? > All right then. > No, I don't want royalties, I'll take cash up front.

« Reply #5790 on: 24 September, 2023, 11:17:41 am »
...> and lose the jacket!

« Reply #5791 on: 24 September, 2023, 12:06:47 pm »
I find Bruckner quite an odd composer. I think his symphonies are dire, but he wrote some absolutely wonderful choral works, such as https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfSKU3pvZwc&ab_channel=EugenJochum-Topic

Yes, yes!  I was wondering if Locus Iste would be your reference!  I always think Bruckner was heavily influenced by Wolfie's Ave Verum.  How about you?

Here's a really nice "chamber" version, at least, I like it! :-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udZCjXbwkzk

Afasoas

« Reply #5792 on: 13 October, 2023, 01:12:32 pm »
Grian Chatten's Chaos for the Fly.

His vocals are oddly soothing.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #5793 on: 22 October, 2023, 08:49:35 am »
I am driving MrsL up the wall listening to Benny Goodman's interpretations of Mozart's K622 & K581 (the 1956 recordings on RCA Victor) on repeat.

Finally managed to get hold of a CD last week to replace the cassette tape that got stretched in '86 and which has kicked around my various accommodations since then as a reminder to replace it; so am making up for "lost" listens. :)
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #5794 on: 22 October, 2023, 06:26:04 pm »
Lurker, I'm not sure where I came across the story of a group of young American music students (Julliard, maybe) who used to get together on occasional weekends to play from sight.  One day, they were tootling away at a clarinet piece when an elderly gent peeped over the fence and said something along the lines of, "I play a little, could I join you?"  Reluctantly, they humoured him (although I suppose they think they humored him) and, yes, it turned out to be Benny Goodman.  The lovely thing is that they tell the story against themselves.  I'll see if I can find it somewhere.

« Reply #5795 on: 22 October, 2023, 11:41:12 pm »
Join Hands - much maligned and misunderstood - pretty damned good.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5796 on: 23 October, 2023, 10:07:39 am »
Charltans - North Country Boy.

Tim's vocal shows you what autotune has done to ruin the music industry since  ;D

Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Afasoas

« Reply #5797 on: 27 October, 2023, 01:15:36 pm »
Charltans - North Country Boy.

Tim's vocal shows you what autotune has done to ruin the music industry since  ;D

I had a listen to some Charlatans this morning.

Currently having a go at Anne Clark's "Borderline - Found Music for a Lost World".
It appears to be spoken word to a Tubular Bells meets Spa Music sound track. Seems very well produced thobut.

sam

« Reply #5798 on: 01 November, 2023, 05:39:09 am »
3 minutes of my morning was set aside for Rodeo, by MacKenzie Porter, who’s a singer when she’s not time travelling.

Make that 6 minutes. I listened to it twice, trying to remember any pickup lines I’ve ever used. Other than “How’s it going?”, which has resulted in 32 years of marriage and counting, nothing came to mind.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5799 on: 02 November, 2023, 10:09:39 am »
ELO - Discovery (or Disco Very, pun intended by Richard Tandy).
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.