Author Topic: food lore  (Read 15439 times)

Re: food lore
« Reply #125 on: 15 February, 2019, 06:40:36 pm »
Goblin Meat puddings. Individual little tins (like a small beans tin), the method was put a small hole in and pop in a saucepan of boiling water for 10 mins or so. It was a suet pastry outer casing with mince (?) filling.

Smash instant dried potato mash. Remember the adverts? The tins were dead handy for storing things in afterwards.

Jacket potatoes with cheese. Baked in the oven, a little slice off the top, innards removed and mixed with grated cheese, replace in shell, slice of cheese over top and back in oven for a bit. Saturday night treat as we gathered around the small portable telly to watch Dr Who.

I never liked fish fingers.

Meat paste (beef or chicken) sandwiches using white sliced bread. Felt naughty and decadent (we were normally only allowed Allinson Stoneground Wholemeal medium sliced bread, eaten until it was finished no matter how dry).

Oven chips were the sort of thing rich middle class people had. Mam only allowed us the chips she made in the old-fashioned chip pan. (Oven chips were far nicer).

Orange juice was Apeel powder or something expensive in a pub.

Birds Custard powder. Used to make Banana custard (yum).

On the whole I prefer food these days to when I was a bairn.

GC

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #126 on: 15 February, 2019, 08:04:30 pm »
We still use Bird's custard powder, though I make custard in the microwave now.
It's cheap comfort food that keeps The Man quiet...

ian

« Reply #127 on: 15 February, 2019, 08:24:30 pm »
Apeel, that's the stuff I was talking about earlier, the faux-orange juice mix that never quite dissolved (or taste like orange juice, but who really knew what orange juice tasted like back then). Orange juice was too posh for my house. Well, everything was too posh for my house.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #128 on: 16 February, 2019, 12:46:47 pm »
The only things worse than chips cooked in the oven are McCain's MicroChips.  The person who invented them should be tracked down and forcibly relocated to Edmonton, where he can eat MicroChips and dead dogs for the rest of his short and unhappy life.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #129 on: 16 February, 2019, 01:11:14 pm »
The only things worse than chips cooked in the oven are McCain's MicroChips.  The person who invented them should be tracked down and forcibly relocated to Edmonton, where he can eat MicroChips and dead dogs for the rest of his short and unhappy life.

I dunno, they're the Pot Noodle of chips, and have natural PSO-appeal.

Oven chips are just crap.  (Especially if you cook them in a gas oven that's so low-end they come out with the consistency of MicroChips, or a fan oven that renders the crunchy bits into little flakes of carbon.)

Special mention to the hot chip vending machine that appeared in my last year at $sniversity.  It appeared to function by taking pre-cooked oven chips and heating them for a minute or two in a stream of hot air of the type normally used for stripping paint.  The results were as cardboard as you'd expect, and the obvious target market (drunk people) wouldn't have had the attention span to wait for them to be delivered.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #130 on: 16 February, 2019, 02:05:16 pm »
I quite like oven chips. Never had these MicroChips. Are they actually tiny or does it just mean they're somehow optimised for cooking in a microwave? I can't imagine the latter working well, but in any case I'll take a texture of silicon as read.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #131 on: 16 February, 2019, 05:43:29 pm »
I quite like oven chips. Never had these MicroChips. Are they actually tiny or does it just mean they're somehow optimised for cooking in a microwave? I can't imagine the latter working well, but in any case I'll take a texture of silicon as read.

The latter, and it doesn't.

They come in a cardboard box with a magic insert that's designed to somehow concentrate heat (I assume it's poorly electrically conductive).  The result is steamy soggy chips (so not particularly siliconesque) whose main appeal is that you can have hot food in 3 minutes without any washing-up or chip-pan fires.

ETA: In a futile attempt to google for how the magic insert works, I've discovered that they've been re-branded as "Quick Chips", presumably because people stopped talking about microchips (in the integrated circuit sense) in about 1989 and the otherwise excellent pun is now lost on their target demographic.