Author Topic: Women's Football World Cup 2015  (Read 3100 times)

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
Re: Women's Football World Cup 2015
« Reply #25 on: 05 July, 2015, 05:52:54 pm »
. This match showed that women's football is rapidly becoming indistinguishable from the men's game. Inevitable, probably, and I'm perhaps a fool for hoping it would be otherwise.

Even to the point of having tattooed "sleeves" done in their spare time.

The increase in sponsorship, and money generally, will no doubt put an end to any semblance fair play.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #26 on: 05 July, 2015, 05:58:33 pm »
I thought the writing was on the wall in the Japan match, when I saw Rafferty having a go at the referee (who had made the correct decision).  I was further confirmed in this when my first view of the coach Sampson, revealed him to have had a ridiculous haircut, which was depressing, as he is obviously a not bad coach.  And then he talks about legends.  There's not much hope, is there?

Jakob

« Reply #27 on: 06 July, 2015, 06:02:58 pm »
I even saw a British newspaper article complaining about the diving...the thing is, they would never have dared to write that about the mens team.

I've only seen bits of the games, but in general have been impressed by the quality. Sure, it lacks the raw speed of the mens game, but it's also a lot less physical (and despite the comments above, has a lot less diving).

The thing that *really* annoyed me, however, was the trophy girls.

1 step forward, 2 steps back, eh?

Andrew

« Reply #28 on: 06 July, 2015, 07:19:45 pm »
(and despite the comments above, has a lot less diving

Which comments "above"? In the article you read or in this thread?

I don't think anyone in this thread thinks there is more diving than in the men's game, just that there's an increase of it in the women's game.

The USA fair blitzed Japan in the final; 4-0 up after16 minutes! The 4th being a rather spectacular shot from the half way line. The scorer Carli Lloyd (it was her 3rd goal of the game) said something like she'd no recollection of being on the pitch for the first 30 minutes.... words that perhaps she could have chosen better in the doping age in which we live!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #29 on: 06 July, 2015, 07:24:14 pm »
the trophy girls.

<resists obvious joke about how the Mens Game should learn from innovations in the Womens' ... >
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles