Author Topic: How Not To Lock Up Your Bike  (Read 38677 times)

Re: How Not To Lock Up Your Bike
« Reply #100 on: 26 April, 2020, 09:33:52 pm »
I hadn't noticed this particular bike until I took the above photo but perhaps he/she routinely secures with tie-wraps.

This particular bike shed requires an RFID tag to enter/exit so is reasonably secure, a few people don't bother locking up at all.

« Reply #101 on: 27 April, 2020, 11:07:37 am »
While you were all obsessing about the "tie wrap" securing the Cannondale, somebody has nicked the white Orbea next to it.
It's not a tie wrap.
It's one of these: https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/hiplok-z-lok-cable-tie-lock-twin-pack/rp-prod164159

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #102 on: 30 November, 2020, 05:15:28 pm »
Today's edition of Badly Locked Bikes Of Birmingham:

See that front QR?  It was flapping in the breeze.  Not just unclamped, but totally loose, to the point where the lawyer lips were likely to be ineffective.  I did the decent thing, but didn't have anything with me to leave a note.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #103 on: 30 November, 2020, 07:38:22 pm »
Isn't that the Cameron technique? Tho TBF you would probably need to remove the saddle and/or seatpost before slipping the lock out, and that requires, ooh, a 5mm allen key?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #104 on: 30 November, 2020, 08:15:54 pm »
I think it's technically an inverse-Cameron.  Cameron is lock through the bike frame and round an easily-lifted-over bollard.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #105 on: 30 November, 2020, 08:24:24 pm »
Now you've jogged my memory, I think you're right. I'd say this unknown person has a slight edge in the security stakes over the pink-faced smarmster. Probably better at being PM too.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #106 on: 01 December, 2020, 10:23:18 am »
At least the lock is safe.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

sib

« Reply #107 on: 01 December, 2020, 10:40:55 am »
I found the clashing colours a strong deterrent.

« Reply #108 on: 01 December, 2020, 11:14:38 am »
See that front QR?  It was flapping in the breeze.  Not just unclamped, but totally loose, to the point where the lawyer lips were likely to be ineffective.  I did the decent thing, but didn't have anything with me to leave a note.
Maybe that was a security feature, easy to nick, faceplant before getting very far.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #109 on: 01 December, 2020, 11:17:00 am »
Maybe that was a security feature, easy to nick, faceplant before getting very far.

I doubt the brakes were up to a faceplant.  Unexpected unicycle at the first speed bump seems more likely.

I assume it got that way because someone who doesn't undertand QR levers tightened it up wingnut style, and it loosened over time.  The state of the tyres suggests the bike's been ridden a decent amount, and it looked like the gears were in some approximation of working order, so presumably gently enough that the wheel was retained by gravity.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #110 on: 01 December, 2020, 11:32:58 am »
Someone otp, I think it was Wobbly John, recounts not discovering till after several jumps that the QR on his mtb's front wheel was not done up. At all.

« Reply #111 on: 01 December, 2020, 11:41:57 am »
"Several jumps" ?
Rust never sleeps

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #112 on: 01 December, 2020, 12:20:26 pm »
Something like that... I'm sure he'll be along in a while with the correct details.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #113 on: 19 October, 2021, 11:48:00 pm »
This Badly Locked Bike Of Birmingham was notable for the sheer determination of somebody to turn a low-end MTB into a multi-purpose practical form of transport.  Some particularly interesting bodgery going on with the kickstand and rear rack. I strongly suspect that the hub motor may be worth more than the rest of the bike.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #114 on: 20 October, 2021, 09:58:51 am »
Objection: a low-end MTB is a multi-purpose practical form of transport. It's just important to note that none of those purposes is mountain biking. And with that front-hub motor, they quite likely don't include pedalling either.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #115 on: 20 October, 2021, 10:27:54 am »
I wasn't sure where the battery goes.  There were danglewires around the head tube, but not of the sort of gauge I'd expect for power, and no battery bracket on the bottle cage mounts.  My best guess was that it's either molished into the hub, or (as would be in keeping with the general aesthetic) lobbed in the front basket.

Also note the presence of both a child seat bracket and a trailer hitch.   :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #116 on: 20 October, 2021, 10:34:21 am »
I see there's also a cable locking the rear wheel to the frame, although it looks long enough to reach the stand if they'd wanted. And is that a mirror mounted in a curious fashion on the bar end? There's a black rectangle with some sort of bracket or wires curving down in that direction.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #117 on: 20 October, 2021, 10:37:02 am »
I see there's also a cable locking the rear wheel to the frame, although it looks long enough to reach the stand if they'd wanted.

That was what qualified it for badly locked status.

And is that a mirror mounted in a curious fashion on the bar end? There's a black rectangle with some sort of bracket or wires curving down in that direction.

Yes, a mirror.  Chinesium motorbike eBay style.  The ebike console (in as much as it has one, it's just a couple of switches and flattery status blinkenlights) is on the left handlebar grip.

« Reply #118 on: 20 October, 2021, 12:33:16 pm »
This Badly Locked Bike Of Birmingham was notable for the sheer determination of somebody to turn a low-end MTB into a multi-purpose practical form of transport.  Some particularly interesting bodgery going on with the kickstand and rear rack. I strongly suspect that the hub motor may be worth more than the rest of the bike.

My bold but this makes securing the front wheel highly appropriate. In my mind it is only the rear cable not being extended to the stand that is questionable.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #119 on: 20 October, 2021, 12:53:44 pm »
GP although that looks like the sort of D lock that will fall apart with a good kick.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #120 on: 24 October, 2021, 10:40:23 am »

One of my neighbours has taken to parking their bike on the kick stand in such a way as to block the path.

I've taken to rotating it 180° when it's there. Hoping that they will get the hint...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #121 on: 24 October, 2021, 11:20:43 am »
I'm just envious of the bike:car ratio on that street. :thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #122 on: 24 October, 2021, 11:24:42 am »
And the un-b0rked state and general levelness of the paving slabs...

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #123 on: 24 October, 2021, 11:39:57 am »
I'm just envious of the bike:car ratio on that street. :thumbsup:

The Gemeente came round this week and stuck a load of stickers on the bikes. Any bike with a sticker still on it in two weeks will be taken away. Also by night time, the road is packed with cars, with not enough spaces for the number of cars the building occupants have. I would love the Gemeente to replace some of the car spaces with proper parking for the bikes. Currently there is a sort of low railing along in front of the building and people just lean their bikes against it. Which looks really ugly. I've asked building manglement to install Sheffield stands for us to use. But they aren't sure if it's our land, or the Gemeente.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #124 on: 24 October, 2021, 12:00:16 pm »
There's surely some definitive map. They just need to be mustelided.