Author Topic: Radrunner Electric bikes  (Read 2178 times)

Radrunner Electric bikes
« on: 17 July, 2022, 02:26:19 pm »
I am rather taken with this bike despite its rear wheel drive. The load carrying capacity is significant, range is good and its retail price competitive. A tad heavy though. Is there any knowledge of them out there?

https://electrek.co/2021/07/02/radrunner-plus-the-most-capable-electric-bicycle-ive-ever-reviewed/

Brexit brings about some other complications including extended delivery times, possible servicing issues and that saddle would have to go.
Edit just seen that GeraldC has bought one.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Re: Radrunner Electric bikes
« Reply #1 on: 17 July, 2022, 08:36:31 pm »
This, to me, is one of an increasing number of e-bikes that start to resemble mopeds. Big chunky tyres, big chunky frame, no particular regard to keeping the weight low as the power of the motor will overcome. I'd rather have one that looked more like a bike and less like a motorbike but each to his own.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 17 July, 2022, 08:54:47 pm »
I'm not keen on the weird tyres (though having watched people on e-fatbikes bounce across Birmingham's finest potholes with impunity, I can see the reasoning), but looks like a nice practical machine.

« Reply #3 on: 17 July, 2022, 11:39:52 pm »
Well according to UPS it should be arriving tomorrow, so that's 9 days for delivery rather than the 5-8 weeks as on the website.

That being said, some friends of ours actually had a friend in Holland order their Radwagon, and they went over to pick it up, as they needed it before the start of term (they have twin 5 year olds) and the equivalent bikes that can carry 2 kids are at 75% more expensive, Baksfiet, Tern HSD etc.

I'd never actually even seen a Radrunner or Radrunner Plus before ordering mine, I'd just read the reviews, and ridden my friends Radwagon, and that was enough to convince me. I've got a cargo bike, and I love 20" wheeled bikes, so it ticked all my boxes.

in the week or so since ordering, I've now seen a Radrunner plus (in Hyde park, and he had a wicker picnic basket on the back), and a Radrunner in Shepherds Bush.

A lot of the stuff the US model can do, the EU versions can't. Eg cruise around easily with 2 adults on electric power alone. The US version is 750 watts, the EU versions are software restricted to 250 watts. As a result the UK version doesn't come with the passenger seat and foot rests. They can be chipped so they're unrestricted, but I don't intend to do that. If you do, you've essentially turned your ebike into a moped, and so to be legally compliant, you'd need to have the vehicle registered, with a number plate, taxed, wear a crash helmet, insured, and follow the traffic rules for mopeds. So once they decide to crack down, I can envisage fines, points and vehicles getting destroyed.

The saddle is terrible, but it was designed so it could be flush with the passenger seat. However I still don't know why people still get the suspension seatposts, I have a theory that with electric assist, they never get out of their saddle, so even though you should be going faster, and on your bike less, your bum actually spends more time in contact with the saddle. I've ordered a non suspension seat post and will be swapping over one of saddles from one of my other bikes.

There are a lot more electric bikes these days. I see a lot of Van Moofs, Tern HSD, Baksfiets, ridden by commuters/parents. Amazingly about 33% of the Bromptons I see are electric. The deliveroo/uber eats, half are riding totally illegal DIY jobs, and riding them under electric power, or I now see a lot of them have gone with Zoomo, as they are really promoting their bikes to the service industry.

While Rad Power do seem good value, that's just the base price of the bike. The accessories seem to be super pricy. A front rack for 80 Euros?! Only one child seat fits the Radrunner, and that's the Thule Yepp Maxi. Coming from a frame mounted Raleigh Avenir snug that only cost £40, going to a seat that costs £128 is a little eye watering.

If you're interested in Rad Power bikes, use this link http://rwrd.io/kyimd16?c  . It's a referral code that gives you 50 Euros off the price. Also the Split it option, where it's interest free over 12 months really helped me make my mind up about ordering one.

« Reply #4 on: 18 July, 2022, 09:44:36 am »
I have a theory that with electric assist, they never get out of their saddle, so even though you should be going faster, and on your bike less, your bum actually spends more time in contact with the saddle.
I use an E-bike for Deliveroo type stuff.  It's the only time I considered a suspension seat post and for that reason, I am generally pressing on the pedals less (That's why I bought it) on a necessarily stiff frame, the ST Thudbuster transformed the harshness.
I now see a lot of them have gone with Zoomo, as they are really promoting their bikes to the service industry.
Unfortunately for me only available in London, Manchester and Edinburgh.  All the delivery riders are renting, I don't know what the bikes are like but it's a good deal - £112 a month (if you have a Deliveroo account) including insurance and servicing, and fully tax deductible.

A Radrunner may be on my shortlist when I need another, does look like good value.

« Reply #5 on: 18 July, 2022, 10:03:25 pm »
It arrived at 6pm today. So 9 days from order to delivery.

The box weighs 43kg. I will wake up early to assemble.