Author Topic: Campsites near the sea?  (Read 2657 times)

Campsites near the sea?
« on: 18 June, 2011, 08:04:39 am »
I don't know if there's a thread in this, & searching found nowt, but I need a campsite near the sea for late July.

Ideally it'll be the South Coast west of Southampton and east of Exeter or the North Devon/Somerset coast to keep it within easy striking distance, but if there are loads of suggestions countrywide, why not list them here?
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Campsites near the sea?
« Reply #1 on: 18 June, 2011, 08:12:24 am »
There are some around Swanage.  Beware of strong winds if you camp right next to the sea; it's not unknown for every tent* to be flattened by a gale.

*except the odd built-like-a-brick-outhouse Cabanon
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #2 on: 18 June, 2011, 08:15:20 am »
Well, I suppose I mean within a reasonable - for a 6-year-old - walking distance to the sea not having to cross any faux-motorways in the process.

The tent will NOT be a Cabanon!
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #3 on: 18 June, 2011, 08:41:34 am »
Not your geographic area but St Davids in pembs has lots of beaches nearby and lots of family friendly camping sites from a fiver upwards a night. Some are by the coast and walking distance to town.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: 18 June, 2011, 11:13:40 am »
Pembrokeshire was a childhood holiday haunt, so definitely worth considering. Thanks.

Genosse Brymbo

• Ostalgist
« Reply #5 on: 18 June, 2011, 12:11:58 pm »
My family (2 children, 2 humans) has had good experiences camping at Durdle Door Holiday park last year and East Fleet Farm the year before.  We would return to both without hesitation - decent sites and good position for amenities/attractions.
The present is a foreign country: they do things differently here.

« Reply #6 on: 18 June, 2011, 05:21:00 pm »
We stayed at the C&C club site at Norman's Bay the other week. Was just a short stroll across the single track road to the site's own private beach which is sandy when the tide is out. Nice site with a good shop and a decent family pub down the road.
Not in the region you need but a nice site all the same!
Check out my blog: Aspiring Rouleur
Twitter: DKNWHY

« Reply #7 on: 18 June, 2011, 05:24:44 pm »
Thanks for the ideas and forgive my ignorance, but it might be helpful if you could put a nearby town next to the campsites.

Genosse Brymbo

• Ostalgist
« Reply #8 on: 19 June, 2011, 07:09:17 am »
Thanks for the ideas and forgive my ignorance, but it might be helpful if you could put a nearby town next to the campsites.
Durdle Door Holiday park is east of Weymouth (a morning's walk on the coast path away) and not far from Wareham.  East Fleet Farm is west of Weymouth, also easily walkable.
The present is a foreign country: they do things differently here.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #9 on: 19 June, 2011, 06:39:49 pm »
We went to a very nice campsite near Weymouth.  It's a caravan site just over the hill, and the tent camping field has a fantastic view straight down to Portland.
Getting there...

« Reply #10 on: 20 June, 2011, 11:37:24 am »
We spent a week at the Treloan campsite near Portscatho last year.  It was really nice, you could see the sea from your tent door and go paddling before breakfast.  Rather too far west for your purposes though. 

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #11 on: 20 June, 2011, 07:04:16 pm »
There are many on the Welsh coast. Dyffryn Ardydwy gives you access to miles of unbroken sand, not all of which is clothing optional. ;)

Last year I seem to remember that they were charging £17 per night, which probably isn't too bad fora car pitch, but we weren't going to pay that each for a small tent and a bike. Charlotte and I camped on the dunes but used the campsite's facilities: a public footpath goes straight through.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #12 on: 21 June, 2011, 08:03:17 pm »
Probably out of range, but I went to Norfolk at Easter and stayed at a camp site at Stiffkey (pronounced by the locals as Stukie). It was £6 per night, great facilities and you could walk 100m and be on the beach.

It is very popular so booking advised.
O'LEL what have I done!

« Reply #13 on: 22 June, 2011, 07:04:51 pm »
Thank you all.

Stiffkey sounds OK, as I went to UEA & know the area quite well. Do you know the name of the campsite there Bb?

« Reply #14 on: 22 June, 2011, 10:06:56 pm »
There's one near the end of the road in Llandanwg (Glan-y-Gors I think) that is a nice small field with a short footpath straight through to the lovely beach they've got in that area, you can walk right down to Harlech on that beach. Train station quite close as well.

There's also one just a bit further down the coast at Shell Island, a bit bigger, dearer and harder to get on though because it's quite popular, it also get's cut off by the sea when the tide's in  8)

« Reply #15 on: 26 June, 2011, 12:33:56 pm »
North Devon / Somerset? My favorite is Sparkhayes Farm in Porlock.

The sea is a 15 minute stroll away down a quiet lane, High Exmoor is two miles away, Porlock's got a great selection of eateries and quaint shoppes and if you have a spare hour with a bike, then Porlock Hill awaits.

« Reply #16 on: 28 June, 2011, 08:30:15 pm »
Thank you all.

Stiffkey sounds OK, as I went to UEA & know the area quite well. Do you know the name of the campsite there Bb?
Greenway
Stiffkey
nr Wells-next-the-Sea
Norfolk
NR23 1QE
Site Owner/s: Mrs H Harrison
01328 830235
O'LEL what have I done!

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #17 on: 04 July, 2011, 02:26:28 pm »
A simple campsite West of Southampton is Hurst View, Pennington Lane, Lymington, on the edge of the New Forest. Great bird watching area.