Author Topic: Witham 100/150/200 - Sunday 17/4/11  (Read 7106 times)

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
Re: Witham 100/150/200 - Sunday 17/4/11
« Reply #25 on: 17 April, 2011, 06:41:25 pm »
My 200 PB: 8 hrs 20, but I didn't win.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #26 on: 17 April, 2011, 06:55:51 pm »
A great day for a ride.  Bluebells, butterflies, and the usual excellent scone at Stisted  :thumbsup:.
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

« Reply #27 on: 17 April, 2011, 07:41:46 pm »
Excellent weather and great company.
Constantly dropped by one of my blond companions, but then she is some 30 years younger.
I went away before North Hill hoping to keep up, but she passed me saying "don't I remember there's a long hill somewhere before the finish"...bit demoralising that.
At the finish she tells us that after she's delivered us home to Amersham she has to drive to Padstow in Cornwall this evening for the family's hols.
Oh dear, I really am getting past it.
Thanks Ed for another very well organised event.
M
Mike

« Reply #28 on: 17 April, 2011, 08:17:03 pm »
I had a lovely ride, forgiven by the Chelmer Posse for riding in Another Club's colours, they carried me all the way round the 100k, though bluebell woods, leafy lanes and cowslip lined verges. The homely prettiness of Essex in the spring is a far cry from the glamour of the highlands last weekend but does have it's own charms.
Chelmer even picked me up off the road when I stacked the bike by catching Jane's wheel. I wasn't covering my brakes in the bunch, what a n00b. :facepalm:
Having hitched a lift with Chris S I had plenty of time to get the resulting road rash inspected back at the arrivee by Jes, Mrs President and then Mrs PP, who very kindly patched me up.

Lovely ride again Ed, thanks very much.

I really must learn to ride a bike ::-).
I'm a bit sore, again. And I've put a hole in my Raphas. :sob:

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #29 on: 17 April, 2011, 08:38:53 pm »
I've had a great day out today.

Rode in the lead group to Wally's cafe, ordered my grub then realised they weren't eating. Deep down I knew the day would get warmer and I don't like to ride too hard so I was content to bid them farewell.

Wally's is a large cafe in a non descript industrial unit at Acton between Lavenham and Long Melford they were well prepared for us and all the power rangers on motorbikes who out numbered us. I had bacon, sausage and egg in a stick (Oakey's recomendation). From here I teamed up with Chris (of Severn Across organiser fame) we had a nice ride through some picturesque villages. There seemed to be a vintage car rally in the area and some concourse 2CV's on a treasure hunt which added interest along the way. Chris and I had a rack and mudguard coming together which sent me onto the nearside bank and into the nettles, put a buckle in my wheel and broke all the rivets on the back of my front mudguard, Chris' rear mech cable outer stripped a bit, I hope there was nothing else. We collected Fidgetbuzz here but shortly afterwards Chris stopped to eat more and I fiddled with my freestyling mudguard.

I arrived at Mistley on my own and saw Adamski and his mate, Chris S and Fidgetbuzz about to depart. There were some massive rooster chickens in the picnic area here. A young family came to sit down and all the chickens had to be shoed away but they kept coming back.

I set off on my own from here as Chris was still eating. I had to reapply suncream on this section as it was now very sunny. Some climbs and whooshing decents including Burnt Dick Hill, probably probably named after suffering on a sunny day in a field with a local wench I reckoned to myself. It semmed to take a long while to get to Colne Engaine, when I did eventually get there I was distracted by the terrace of the Five Bells pub and missed my turn so some extra miles. Stisted came eventually and a great welcome from Sean (sp?) a cyclist who runs the Speciality tea room, I didn't know it was there as I normally pass Stisted without going into the village. He told us about the history of the chimneys on the houses there, I can bore you with it another time if you like.

Owing to my detour I was able to hook up with Chris again and we completed the ride back to Woodham Mortimer.

As usual with these audaxes in my 'backyard' I discovered some new roads I haven't been on before. It was great to meet some more people from yacf, Chris S' effort on 83" fixed was immense, I'm very impressed. Plodding Pedro and staff made a great job off post ride grub and I agree with the other sentiments on here regarding the overall organisation, well done Ed and team and a big thankyou from me.

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #30 on: 17 April, 2011, 09:38:26 pm »
Great weather - great route - great support team - can you ask for more.

Now I know that Boab sacrifices virgins when she wants good weather for a ride - so I am very worried about next year's ride  - surely after 3 cracking years in a row,  Ed must be running out of Essex virgins -- may be he might consider selling his soul to the devil -so as to keep us as happy bunnies.

That ChrisS is just losing weight and getting so much fitter - it is getting silly to try to keep up with him. By bouncing controls I managed to stay with him to Stisted - but he hammered me on the last 40kms. However my time at 8.15 riding and 8.45 total was very good for me.

Good company at various times - including Bloomers -and a long chat on the way to Wallys with a guy who may well join us here - he is aiming for PBP - came up from near Brighton to do the ride, his 200 qualifier-- make yourself known if you read this.

saw Boab - but wasnt allowed to inspect all the gravel rash - Dasmoth and emily at the finish. Bendy Bianchi went off like a rocket from the start never to be seen again.

Many thx Ed and team
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

Jes

« Reply #31 on: 17 April, 2011, 09:44:48 pm »
saw Boab - but wasnt allowed to inspect all the gravel rash -

You have to be Special to see it.....It's awesome  ;D ;D.

Chris S

« Reply #32 on: 17 April, 2011, 09:58:01 pm »
This ride wasn't really on my agenda for this year, but I wanted to support Ed and the Team, so entered (sort of - see up thread).

To make it harder, I decided to flip my wheel to "Robust" setting (49/16) and ride the 200 hard and try and "put in a time". The plan mostly worked - this was probably my equal fastest 200 at 8:35 total, but almost certainly my fastest on the road time of 7:48.

The combination of high gearing and pushing the pace made it hard work. My knees are annoyed with me this evening, and I've had some cramp issues.

Because I was rather preoccupied with riding today, I didn't take many pictures - but here are some.

Photos

Another excellent day out. Thanks to everyone who helped and organised.

« Reply #33 on: 18 April, 2011, 08:03:03 am »
That's because I did. I do love that "I won an Audax" message.

One of my favourite rides on an almost perfect day - not to hot, not too cold, not to windy, not too wet, barely a car in sight.  A lovely lunch at Mannigtree but decided to bouce Stisted as the queue was out the door, I'd been dreaming of their bread and butter pudding for the previous two hours but had to contend myself with an energy bar instead.

Bumpier than I remember and whilst I knew we went up North Hill at some point in the ride it was a little cruel that it was at the 197km mark...

Cheers Ed, great as ever.

My 200 PB: 8 hrs 20, but I didn't win.

« Reply #34 on: 18 April, 2011, 09:07:24 am »
Next year, someone remind me that's it's easier to ride the event than plod away in the kitchen all day! My feet hurt this morning - I must have walked eight miles betwixt counter and sink and I've not done so much washing up since I don't know when!

And the stress - will the rolls last out? How many different permutations of [whatever's left in the fridge] can we dream up to stuff in them? And that dead zone at the end of the day - how many still to come? When were they last seen? Are they Ok/in a pub/ditch somewhere?

Seriously though, a great day, blessed once again by premium weather. Good to meet some more YACF faces and always amusing, in a perverse sort of way, to demonstrate just how "flat" Essex is!

Sorry about boab's little mishap; worse part from my point of view was having to explain to Mrs PP just why she was more upset about the Rapha damage than the road rash - means I can't now sneak in any Rapha kit without drawing comments such as: "this is a bit expensive isn't it, did you really need it?"

Best of my snaps are here

Until next time .....

αdαmsκι

« Reply #35 on: 18 April, 2011, 11:20:06 am »
For the second weekend in a row I've convinced somewhere to pop their audax cherry. I asked Dave, my companion on yesterdays ride, how he felt about riding his first audax. His reply "It was going to happen at some point. It's a bit little bowls."

The ride itself was brilliant through parts of Essex & Suffolk I've never visited before. The section from Manningtree westwards was lovely and my mate Dave & I were amazed at how little traffic there was. Tho saying that one of the few cars that past us nearly had me off because they overtook on a bend and drifted inwards, leaving we with this --> <-- much space :facepalm:.

A quick ride and my legs certainly felt it when they crapped up something terrible as I was laying in bed. Ouch.

Photos: click.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

« Reply #36 on: 18 April, 2011, 11:29:56 am »
ha ha

A quick ride and my legs certainly felt it when they crapped up something terrible as I was laying in bed. Ouch.

αdαmsκι

« Reply #37 on: 18 April, 2011, 11:31:17 am »
 :facepalm:

« Reply #38 on: 18 April, 2011, 11:33:03 am »
Chris P (me) in the black and red jersey ahead of Chris S in photo 4.

I like your cock (photo 12) by the way.

Chris S

« Reply #39 on: 18 April, 2011, 11:42:39 am »

For a moment - I thought we'd committed a monumental Audax Faux-pas.

Brooks Saddles: Check
Beards: Check
Some idiot on a fixed: Check
Cake: Check

But. No Carradice. No Barley's, Long flaps or Nelsons. Then I remembered - someone had something Carradicy on an SQA clip. Bloomers, was that you? Did you save the day?

BTW: Photo 17 is Most Excellent. See? It was flat.

« Reply #40 on: 18 April, 2011, 12:42:37 pm »

I like your cock.

Me too. I'm a big fan of cocks.

bloomers100

« Reply #41 on: 18 April, 2011, 05:46:00 pm »
Chris S wasn't me. I think it was the guy who didn't speak, twas a caradry job.

Chris S

« Reply #42 on: 18 April, 2011, 06:09:00 pm »

Ah right, thanks. Yes - he was the Quiet Type, wasn't he? Couldn't get a word between our erudite banter probably  ;).

bloomers100

« Reply #43 on: 18 April, 2011, 06:53:22 pm »
That'll be it  ;D

Andyf

• I would engage you in a battle of wits, but it appears you came unarmed.
  • I love my Specialized, and my Specialized loves me
« Reply #44 on: 18 April, 2011, 08:37:22 pm »
Broke my Audax cherry on the 204k ride plus 8 miles riding to the start.
Big thankyou to the group of Sudbury cycling club members who; Did all the navigating, changed my front punture (after I crashed into a hedge and got a big thorn in my tyre....plus cuts and brusing) gave me food as a started to bonk 20 miles from the end and gave me a lift home to my front door cos they saw how buggered I was.....thankyou again   :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting: "What a ride!" - Brian Davies

« Reply #45 on: 19 April, 2011, 08:35:06 am »
You mean the one who sat at the back of the lead group being towed for the first 80km and didn't buy anything in any of the controls but eat his malt loaf on their doorstep?

I found myself with him later for a bit, he tucked in behind me so I just moved into the center of the road to make it clear there was no way on this planet I was towing him for the next 120km, he soon got the message and dropped off.

Ah right, thanks. Yes - he was the Quiet Type, wasn't he? Couldn't get a word between our erudite banter probably  ;).

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #46 on: 19 April, 2011, 10:27:29 pm »
We saw you lot on this ride! I was riding with some of the family from home (very near the Henny Swan) to Bures for a pub breakfast.  Many waves and 'good mornings' from you all. The kids loved it - thank you! It all helps to encourage them to get on their bikes. Wasn't it a lovely day?

« Reply #47 on: 20 April, 2011, 08:26:56 am »
Did anyone else see the guy who was riding the wierd bike with super high handlebars (way above head height, arms aloft) along with a dog in the basket on the front? That made me smile. I'm not sure if he was on one of the Witham rides or whether he just happened to be on the route on his own.

« Reply #48 on: 20 April, 2011, 06:25:33 pm »
We saw the bike race go past us the other way  8)