Author Topic: Asparagus & Strawberries 400 from Manningtree on 19/05/12  (Read 10365 times)

Re: Asparagus & Strawberries 400 from Manningtree on 19/05/12
« Reply #25 on: 25 April, 2012, 10:40:36 pm »

I will look for suitable bus shelters at strategic points when I'm checking the route :thumbsup:
[/quote]
Thanks - could be handy! http://yacf.co.uk/forum/Smileys/classic/smiley.gif We've (optimistically and, perhaps, bravely) booked into the Travellodge at Mildenhall which will hopefully be a rather upmarket bus shelter. Then go for a late 2nd breakfast at the end the cafe in time for train home. Not spotted a cafe in Sible Heddingham before, just the teashop in Castle H. Whereabouts is it?
Did my entry tonight. Hope the route checking weather is kind!

rob

« Reply #26 on: 26 April, 2012, 04:27:28 pm »
The 3rd left just after bus shelter has been on the route sheet for the last couple of years.   I haven't had a problem navigating just using the route sheet.   The old versions were correct, just sometimes didn't have quite all of the information needed.

Based on the last couple of years I expect to be round about 7am and am planning to ride to Witham to pick the train up.

Jes

« Reply #27 on: 26 April, 2012, 10:24:59 pm »
I have a horrible feeling I may have entered this in a fit of madness some months ago but now can't remember. Calling Tomsk!!

Remember snuggling up to a combined harvester on this a few years ago - it's amazing what feels comfortable at 4am....
At least on the trike I can sleep without getting off  ;D.

« Reply #28 on: 27 April, 2012, 01:04:48 pm »
Pedantic moment: Last year's sheet says "! after 2nd bus stop, into Linton Road!" I can't testify to knowledge 'on the ground' as I have twice failed to get there. Dehydrated by Red Lodge in 2010 and exhausted by over-training in 2011.
All the best guys!

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #29 on: 27 April, 2012, 05:43:54 pm »
I will be tweaking some of the eccentricities on the routesheet of yore. Yes - the L in Balsham IS easily missed, as already noted! Deniece famously overshot the turn by many kms and got to the general vicinity of Cambridge, obtained a receipt then headed back in the general direction of the return route, but missed out S Walden. Her card was not validated, though she had proof of considerably more than 400kms!

Reluctant Cyclist - The 'Corner Cafe' in S Hedingham is on the right [heading south on the A&S route] opposite the Total garage.

Jes - no entry as yet!

Jes

« Reply #30 on: 27 April, 2012, 05:54:02 pm »
Jes - no entry as yet!

Decisions. Decisions.
Trike.... or Tesco......?

You'll have my entry on Sunday!!!

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #31 on: 29 April, 2012, 03:39:18 pm »
Ok, routesheet re-drafted, info sheet prepared: I'll sleep on it before putting it out just yet....

Talking of which, not much to report on the bus shelter front. A distinct lack on the A1065, though lots of cosy looking woodland. Probably best not to bivvy too near RAF Lakenheath, our faithful but trigger-happy allies might mistake you for Audax Al-Qaeda! The B road from Newmarket to Linton is a better bet, several decent 4* shelters, well weather proof, not exposed/overlooked, despite being in village centres.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #32 on: 30 April, 2012, 08:41:22 pm »
The routesheet and info is now on the AUK website. Adamski is kindly doing a .gpx track which I will be able to distribute soon with the routesheet etc.

Not that many takers for this ride yet and I have to order the cards soon !! Its a classic tour of East Anglia and has it all: rolling farmland, Breckland heath, dense woodland, lazy rivers, pretty villages and busy market towns, flint churches, stately homes, a ferry ride, a sniff of the sea at Wells and the mahoosive American airbase at Lakenheath!

The cafe at Ixworth belongs to the Croft family and has lots of scriptwriter David Croft's memorabilia [Dad's Army', 'Hi-Di-Hi', 'Are you being Served?' etc] Less up market, but very welcoming, the 'Bridge Cafe' at Halesworth is always popular with riders. Fish and Chips at Wells followed by a midnight feast at a 24 hour garage - the ultimate Audax eating experience?

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #33 on: 30 April, 2012, 10:36:20 pm »
Adamski is kindly doing a .gpx track which I will be able to distribute soon with the routesheet etc.

Done, and viewable on bikehike or directly download the .tcx here. (Useful warnings apply - if you use this route & get lost it ain't my fault!)
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #34 on: 01 May, 2012, 12:33:16 am »
Tomsk, I hear your plea, and succumb to your marketing skills.  I'm in.

Adamski, thanks for the gpx.

See you soon, looking forward to it, make sure the weather improves please  :)

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #35 on: 01 May, 2012, 07:25:40 pm »
GPS file is also on the AUK server now - thanks again Adamski!

« Reply #36 on: 08 May, 2012, 02:07:19 pm »
Hello everyone.   I'm new to the world of Audax, so please excuse what might be dumb questions.   In fact this will only be my second audax event.  The first (Man O Kent) was very well organised and all I had to do was follow the route, getting my card stamped in various places and eat the food very generously provided.  This one seems to be an entirely different affair and I clearly will need to be a bit more prepared, taking food and fluids with me.    When I've done these distances in the past, I've ridden straight through, and that's what I plan to do on this occasion too.

Anyway here are my questions:

Do I need to stop at all the Controls listed on the INFO sheet I've downloaded from the Audax UK website, or only the ones that are shown in CAPITALS and on the route sheet?  (For example, the Corner Cafe in Sible Hedingham is not a control, it's just a cafe!)

Do the minimum and maximum speeds apply at each control, or only for the whole ride?   I'm thinking if there's a mechanical that makes me late for the first control, can that time be made up later on?  Likewise, can you be too early for the controls?   

And the latest I can get back to Manningtree control is 11.52am?

What happens when we arrive back in Manningtree?   Is it simply a matter of getting a receipt from the garage (or somewhere else if arriving before it opens) and then heading off home and posting the card to Tom subsequently?

I shall introduce myself to as many as I can when I get to Manningtree, and will try to hook up with others who are riding at a similar pace to me.   That's probably the best way of learning how it all works anyway.

All other tips and advice gratefully received!

Thanks, and sorry for the dumb questions.

Cheers

Ross

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #37 on: 08 May, 2012, 09:01:49 pm »
I think you're getting the hang of the infinitely variable and often cryptic world of Audax, rb58 :thumbsup: Every organiser seems to have a slightly different take on 'TEH RULZ'

Tomsk's Rules: 1]Apply common sense
                        2]Eat and drink loads
                        3]Don't panic! [Keep Calm and Carry On]

To address the questions: yes, all the controls on the info sheet need a receipt [check time, place and date are ok!!]

ie: Ixworth, Halesworth, Acle, Wells, Barton Mills, Saffron Walden and Manningtree - no info controls!

The max and min speeds apply thoughout, but provided you finish in the allotted time, you'll be ok - there are Audax rules about making up lost time within a couple of controls....

Post completed cards to the organiser - me - asap, as you would if you did a 'Permanent' ride.

I feel the 'A&S' works best on a 24 hour schedule - ie don't dash about too much, enjoy the cafes and just try and make Wells before 9pm, have a bit of a rest, maybe a pub stop for Coffee or Norfolk Energy Drink later and take advantage of the Sible Hedingham cafe - if you aren't going to make Manningtree for breakfast. Of course you could ride it a lot faster, but Manningtree will be a bit dead at 4am, though you could leave food in your support vehicle if you have one! That weekend the Sunday trains are messed up and don't start till late morning anyway. 11:52 Sunday would be the latest finish time and represent maximum value for money - enjoy the generousity while you can - this ride will be back to BRM timing next year - we left the hand over from Herman too late last year to keep its BRM status.

I'll be contacting all the entrants later this week.

« Reply #38 on: 08 May, 2012, 10:10:10 pm »
11:52 Sunday would be the latest finish time and represent maximum value for money - enjoy the generousity while you can - this ride will be back to BRM timing next year - we left the hand over from Herman too late last year to keep its BRM status.

oh dear, now you have a lot more explaining to do  :)

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #39 on: 09 May, 2012, 04:34:59 pm »
11:52 Sunday would be the latest finish time and represent maximum value for money - enjoy the generousity while you can - this ride will be back to BRM timing next year - we left the hand over from Herman too late last year to keep its BRM status.

oh dear, now you have a lot more explaining to do  :)

I was coming to that, how long have you got..... ;D

« Reply #40 on: 10 May, 2012, 02:48:26 pm »
Thanks Tomsk.  I'm quite looking forward to it - just don't want to fall foul of any of the rules, being a newbie and all that.

BTW, I'm hoping to complete an SR series this year.   I presume this can count as the 400?

Cheers.   See you next weekend.

« Reply #41 on: 13 May, 2012, 12:23:58 pm »
Oh my good god what have I just done  :facepalm:

See you all next Saturday.  :thumbsup:

rob

« Reply #42 on: 20 May, 2012, 08:46:07 pm »
Enjoyable weekend.   Weather remarkably benign if a little chillier than it should be mid-May.   Nice to be in Wells for a relaxed dinner rather than rushing to get there before closing time.

Finished about 6.30am, but didn't get home until about 12 due to an extra ride to Witham to pick up the train.

Rob

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #43 on: 21 May, 2012, 08:25:38 am »
Agree with rob, the temperature felt like an early season event. I considered I had really earned my breakfast back at the Station Cafe, after 200km without a proper hot meal! A very slow but pleasant ride home, still with the benefit of that cold north-easterly - good to meet those sensible people who had taken time out to sleep, making steady progress to the finish - my leisurely pace meant I was just in time to catch a vintage bus rally passing through Halstead, when I stopped for elevenses :thumbsup:

A few minor glitches with the routesheet; I hope this didn't cause any problems - humble apologies....

Great to see ChrisS and fboab out taking photos at Gislingham - earning their free entries for next year? Well done them, anyway - sorry for not stopping, I was making an attempt to catch the peloton!

« Reply #44 on: 21 May, 2012, 10:34:32 am »
Thanks Tomsk for organising, but please get the weather warmer next time, otherwise all was good.  Pleased it stayed dry.

I got my first 2 free nights accommodation in my new bivibag, a bonus which turned my ride into 600 almost exactly - had been planning to ride all the way back to Wimbledon for about 660k but when the garmin was registering 600 just as I arrived in Chelmsford, I succumbed to the pleasures of Greater Anglian Railways for the last bit, avoiding all the horrors of Romford, Ilford, Stratford etc.

Home by 3.30pm, large snack, light snooze, dinner, early bed for solid 10 hours of zzzzs, there really is no better quality of sleep is there? 

rob

« Reply #45 on: 21 May, 2012, 11:51:49 am »
I didn't notice any errors on the routesheet, Tomsk, so you may be being unnecessarily hard on yourself.

I had bigger problems trying to follow the printout I had brought with me to navigate back from Manningtree to Witham.   In my sleep deprived state I thought I knew better so did a couple of laps of Colchester town centre and couldn't quite figure the lanes on the edge of Witham.   Also a note to Witham town council, just the odd signpost to the station would be really useful thankyouverymuch.

I'm really struggling today.   I think this will be a quiet day at the desk.

Rob

« Reply #46 on: 21 May, 2012, 12:24:03 pm »
I'm really struggling today.   I think this will be a quiet day at the desk. Rob

I'm pleased with myself to have had the forethought to plan to "work from home" today  ;)

« Reply #47 on: 21 May, 2012, 02:21:27 pm »
Well I have completed my first 400k. Thanks for all the encouragement from Finsbury Park, Tomsk and others on the road. I think the planned stop at the Travelodge paid off in as much as I don't feel too bad today and we basically rode from there to the end in the light - and I do love the roads between SW and Manningtree. Enjoyed the wind when it was with us, the scenery and the fish and chips. Probably better not to list the aspects I didn't enjoy - they are mainly physical! Playing a tennis match tonight, which will be interesting... The main problem of having done a 400 is now I have to make the big decision re a 600. I'll see how the recovery goes.

« Reply #48 on: 21 May, 2012, 02:44:50 pm »
The main problem of having done a 400 is now I have to make the big decision re a 600. I'll see how the recovery goes.

600's easier... you'll get more time for a proper longer sleep... or even 2 sleeps like I just did...  this logic ad infinitum... so PBP and LEL are now both well within your grasp!

rob

« Reply #49 on: 21 May, 2012, 03:46:29 pm »
Well I have completed my first 400k. Thanks for all the encouragement from Finsbury Park, Tomsk and others on the road. I think the planned stop at the Travelodge paid off in as much as I don't feel too bad today and we basically rode from there to the end in the light - and I do love the roads between SW and Manningtree. Enjoyed the wind when it was with us, the scenery and the fish and chips. Probably better not to list the aspects I didn't enjoy - they are mainly physical! Playing a tennis match tonight, which will be interesting... The main problem of having done a 400 is now I have to make the big decision re a 600. I'll see how the recovery goes.

From the description I think I was on the same table at the chippy in Wells ?   Glad you got round OK.

Rob