Author Topic: Asparagus & Strawberries 400 from Manningtree on 19/05/12  (Read 10387 times)

Re: Asparagus & Strawberries 400 from Manningtree on 19/05/12
« Reply #50 on: 22 May, 2012, 07:36:08 am »
Yes, that was me - in the pink in more ways than one. :) Finsbury Park then gave me great pull through the dark to the next control - passing you on the way. Hope you're feeling more lively today.

« Reply #51 on: 22 May, 2012, 04:59:11 pm »
My first 400 ticked off.

426km in the end with a few detours, 266.25 miles. I have just realised that is a very long way.

Was flying for the first hour but then backed it off a bit realising that this was a 400 not a Sunday club run. Broke a Carradise leather saddle strap before the first stop which I managed to repair with a couple of light weight cable ties. Nearly opposite the Corner Cafe was a hardware shop where I bought a pack of heavy duty cable ties, good job I did as the other strap let go just before the Reedham ferry. Must get one of those overpriced Bagman supports when I order the new straps. I enjoyed the stop at Wells next to Sea and had the usual Fish and Chips which went down well. I left Wells with three other riders but decided as they where stopping to sleep at some point and I intended riding through I would slow down a bit to conserve some energy. The next stop was at Swaffam where I went in a pub for a pint of Guinness and watched the extra time and penalties of the Champions league final, next I came to the pasty stop at Barton Mills 24hr garage where Tom was having a coffee so I got him to mark my card, Newmarket next which was a laugh with drunk people and police all over the place. I then decided to stop for a kip more because I was well ahead of schedule than needing to sleep. I found a spot in a field behind an electric sub station and got about 2 1/2 hours in total, woke myself up snoring then by a couple of owls hooting eventually I woke freezing and had the shivers for ages after. Made one of my usual navigational cock-ups and went down a bridal way in to Linton came out on to a street and decided to check the route sheet, went to move off and found I had a front puncture (the only one of the ride). Next was Saffron Waldon where I spent far too much time looking for an ATM to get proof of passage, probably wasted 1/2 hour or more. Then a straightish run of 70km across to Manningtree which the nice organiser decided it was time for some mountain climbing. With 16km to go I had a moment, came round a blind bend to be confronted with what looked like a cliff face and thought sod this got half way up and got off standing in the middle of the road hoping to get run over, when I saw a cyclist coming down the hill on a classic bike. He stopped and asked if I was Ok I said that I was at the end of my tether. He asked if I was on the 400 and then said here have this Banana which I ate while talking to him. Adam stopped to chat too, it turned out we where talking to the original organiser of the event Herman Ramsey who was riding in reverse direction towards Linton to give people encouragement. Did the trick for me I rode up the rest of the hill and flew back to Manningtree in 1/2hour. Would have been pleased with that on a TT let alone after 410km. Finished well under time expecting to be much closer to the time limit. Nearly forgot the cafe in Sible Hedingham which was open early so thought I had better nip in for the full works with a mug of the best tea I have tasted all for well under a fiver. Probably one of the reasons I only lost 7lb when my Garmin told me I had used nearly 23,000 calories. I have no idea what the calorific value of body fat is but I doubt the Garmin is telling the truth. One of the chaps I left Wells with rode past while I was finishing the second mug of tea. Later saw him again in his car having a rest in a lay-by on the A120, must admit to doing the same at the next lay-by.

Riding towards the end I started thinking that LEL may be too much for me next year. But by Monday morning I was looking for a 600 to do this year to complete a Super Randonneur, thinking that a 600 is only 125 miles further and then LEL is only 500miles further than that. So LEL is still on until I have the expected DNF and find my real limit and come to my senses.

Thanks to Tom for running the ride, Herman for the banana and chat which was a real boost at a low time and all the other riders who without knowing helped me get round. Hope to see you all again soon.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #52 on: 22 May, 2012, 08:57:45 pm »
Top marks stevevw :thumbsup: An impressive debut 400, ticking all the boxes:- bonus kilometres, mechanicals [various], waking shivering in a field, wildlife spotting, pub stop, drunken revellers etc....

Chris S

« Reply #53 on: 22 May, 2012, 10:48:59 pm »
Hehe, that comment got me thinking of all my 400s and encounters with drunken revellers:

Best I've managed on a 400 was near Swindon on the Severn Across where a young lady, surrounded by other young ladies shouted, in a most ladylike fashion "Oi! My mate wants to shag you..."

Next up - Moors and Wolds 400k. What will be encountered then?? :-)

Erm... have you looked closely at the Ride Reports section? I believe fboab as a Moors & Wolds contribution from last year...  ;D. Probably best not, if you are at all feint hearted...