Author Topic: Barmouth Boulevard 2015  (Read 3426 times)

321up

• 59° N
Barmouth Boulevard 2015
« on: 08 July, 2015, 09:04:22 am »
Looking at last years route and it looks great.  Any changes this year?  I found a GPS route here http://ridewithgps.com/routes/5212762 which I am in the process of checking.

321up

• 59° N
Re: Barmouth Boulevard 2015
« Reply #1 on: 08 July, 2015, 10:50:08 am »
...I've corrected the GPS route against the current routesheet (Barmouth Boulevard 2015  V3 0714.docx) and added control waypoints...
http://www.gpxeditor.co.uk/routes2/users/ashleyb/BarmouthBoulevard
...you will need to modify this GPS route according to the limitations of your GPS - use it at your own risk.  If you spot any errors then please let me know.

slohill

• still at it
« Reply #2 on: 09 July, 2015, 04:47:49 pm »
All 3 routes---Barmouth Boulevard, Brenig Bach and Bala Parade are identical to last year.
Let's hope the weather is a little more kind!
Slohill--Organiser  :thumbsup:
Organiser of  Tour of the Berwyns 200k and Panorama Prospect 130k; Saturday May 20 2023

« Reply #3 on: 12 July, 2015, 06:35:42 am »
Relevant permissions sought and now granted (SWMBO), I've not rode this one before and am quite looking forward to it :)
https://creweandnantwichaudax.wordpress.com/ - See the Audax events I currently organise

www.milehousebarn.co.uk - Cycle Friendly B&B in Nantwich, Chehsire

« Reply #4 on: 15 July, 2015, 11:06:21 pm »
Thanks 321up.. Got gpx file for BB.
Looks like wet & windy hills! Worse than Saddleworth even.  ???

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #5 on: 17 July, 2015, 11:24:23 am »
I wish I could do this again this year. Last year's ride was a highlight for me and the forecast looks good for tomorrow. This ride has it all, scenery, coastal roads, rickety bridges, castles and hills, lots of hills. Fantastic route. Enjoy it everyone and don't forget to report back. .

crazy diamond

• remember when you were young, you shone.....
Barmouth Boulevard 2015
« Reply #6 on: 17 July, 2015, 07:40:19 pm »
...I've corrected the GPS route against the current routesheet (Barmouth Boulevard 2015  V3 0714.docx) and added control waypoints...
...you will need to modify this GPS route according to the limitations of your GPS - use it at your own risk.  If you spot any errors then please let me know.
Anyone else on the Carrog station campsite? I'm in the pub up the road, getting in some serious preparation for the ride tomorrow. Weather has to be better than last year, but looks like a headwind on the way out.

« Reply #7 on: 17 July, 2015, 08:29:41 pm »
Anyone else on the Carrog station campsite? I'm in the pub up the road, getting in some serious preparation for the ride tomorrow. Weather has to be better than last year, but looks like a headwind on the way out.

No not riding this year but wish you better weather  ;D
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

crazy diamond

« Reply #8 on: 17 July, 2015, 09:30:09 pm »
Thanks, James. Guess I'll just have to get myself up this year!

crazy diamond

« Reply #9 on: 18 July, 2015, 10:21:01 pm »
Absolutely wonderful day out! The highlight for me was the trip up the valley to Abergynolwyn, under Bird Rock, but managing to ride Bwlch y Groes was also pretty special. Had some great company as well. Many thanks, Dave.

« Reply #10 on: 19 July, 2015, 10:40:37 am »
Now that was tough! Great day out with truly stunning scenery all the way, everything Dave had promised. Weather was generally ok, however a tough headwind out to Harlech and cross wind all the way to Llangelynin had sapped all my strength so I was unable to fully capitalize on the super tail wind back to HQ.

I was unsure about whether I could ride the Bwlch. I have rode it many times from Llyn Vyrnwy side and dropped down to Dinas Mawddwy so I knew what I had to cycle up. Several years ago I had been in the support car for the club, and due to the awful weather, had seen club riders much,much stronger than me all resorted to pushing their bikes. To see ex-cat 1 racers pushing their steeds was truly unbelievable (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0JZHtviwz5icTE5QW5WSTBYZzg/view). I usually ride 50/36 12-25 and had decided to put a 11-28 on the back. I decided against the 34 up front at the last minute and hoped I would not regret it. I was already tired when I got to Dinas Mawddwy so I had an ice cream, some apple juice and half a Cadbury's Whole Nut to top up the stores. Water bottles filled it was time for the off.

I rode with anticipation to the foot of the climb. On the sharp right handed bend in the wooded section I remembered I had seen club mates pushing by this point already. At a few places I looked up and saw a ribbon of tarmac unfeasible snaking up the side of the mountain. Thought of "could I do this?" went through my mind, there were no real alternatives to circumnavigate the bwlch without putting extra miles in. I was quickly in bottom gear and out of the saddle, looking at floor, not wanting to look up. A couple of cars came down which almost caused me to stall, stopping was not an option as I wouldn't get started again. The couples in their cars had disbelief written on their faces as this (clearly) madman crawled his way up the hill. A couple of sections I was able to move it into the 25 ring for no other reason than to allow me the pleasure of changing back into the 28. I battled with my demons which were telling me to stop and push. I agreed with my self that I just needed to get to the barrier section and would then think about walking from their. I knew in my mind that in reality there was no way I would get to the barrier and then push but it was easier to concentrate on smaller sections. Every time I thought I couldn't do it a tailwind would come and give me a helping hand. I got to the barrier section and pushed on, it can't be far now surely. I rounded at the corner and there it was, the cross at the top. To say I was overjoyed was an understatement, I was happier to see that cross than a pilgrim on a pilgrimage and it felt almost like a deep religious enlightenment. A real sense of relief came over me and I started to laugh to myself. Me, little old me, had dragged his sorry ass all the way up the Bwlch without putting a foot down or pushing a single foot. I was glad it was all over, I knew from her I would get back to the arrivee, even with the Hirnant pass in the way.

A top day out which will no doubt stay with me a long time. Next time it'll be with a 11-32 on the back!
https://creweandnantwichaudax.wordpress.com/ - See the Audax events I currently organise

slohill

• still at it
« Reply #11 on: 20 July, 2015, 04:06:15 pm »
"There were no real alternatives to circumnavigate the Bwlch" !!!!!!!!!    Too true and perish the thought and that is the point of the info on the Eunant.
Well done to all who rode this superscenic, superhilly route and thanks to the clerk of the weather who was kind to us this year.
On again next year with Vicky as organiser and possibly on a slightly different date.  Details later in the year.
Best wishes to all.  Slohill :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Organiser of  Tour of the Berwyns 200k and Panorama Prospect 130k; Saturday May 20 2023

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #12 on: 20 July, 2015, 10:32:55 pm »
Good to hear it'll be on again. Chapeau to anyone who gets up Bwlch y Groes, especially as it's towards the end of the ride.

« Reply #13 on: 21 July, 2015, 08:01:10 am »
Yes would like to ride it again after 2014 rain (and sauna like conditions on the Bwlch later) ! Tour of Berwyns also sounds of interest.
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #14 on: 21 July, 2015, 09:47:39 am »
James, I know you like the hilly rides so another good one in the area is Pistyll Packing Momma. Slohill has a knack of piecing together great lanes.
Tour of the Berwyns has a flat start, hilly middle and flat end. The country house hotel start is good as well, several steps up from the more "normal" audax start.  ;D

« Reply #15 on: 21 July, 2015, 10:40:01 am »
Both are great days out but the Tour of the Berwyns is my favourite. The section from Pale to Llangynog has a real sense of remoteness to it, you really feel that you are somewhere special. The climb out of Llanrhaeadyr-ym-Mochnant takes you up along a stream, through a wooded section, past a wier and then onto a moor-like climb is simply enthralling as well. As TEC said, Willington Hall really adds to the sense of occasion

321up

• 59° N
« Reply #16 on: 22 July, 2015, 04:06:53 pm »
Great route: fantastic scenery, sea views and some nice quiet lanes which we particually enjoyed.

Many thanks Slohill  :thumbsup:

...there were no real alternatives to circumnavigate the bwlch
:o  Why would you want to?  It's a nice quiet road and the scenery is well worth the effort.

Next time it'll be with a 11-32 on the back!
and a smaller chainring? ;)

« Reply #17 on: 22 July, 2015, 09:12:08 pm »
...there were no real alternatives to circumnavigate the bwlch

:o  Why would you want to?  It's a nice quiet road and the scenery is well worth the effort.

absolutely, totally and for a real full experience of Bwlch Y Groes why not try this ...http://ridewithgps.com/routes/5942042 a triple ascent of Bwlch Y Groes from each way up  ;D ;D :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

fully in line with what tec says about me liking hills ;D

« Reply #18 on: 14 July, 2016, 09:21:28 pm »
So who's riding the 2016 edition this weekend?

I still remember my first time up the Bwylch y Groes as a Student at Aberystwyth cycling home to Stockport.  That was in 1976, the year of AUK's formation (although it would be years yet before I heard of randoneering or audaxing).  No way could I manage the climb in those days, on a 531 frame, 1x5 gears, and no toe clips.  I'm hoping that a carbon frame, 2x11 gears, and SPDs will give sufficient assistance to a 60 year old engine. 

Are we quite sure that electric bikes aren't allowed?

« Reply #19 on: 15 July, 2016, 09:22:16 am »
I'm in, getting to and from the start by car this year though (saves me about 150km!)

« Reply #20 on: 15 July, 2016, 03:45:47 pm »
I am riding - or swimming possibly given the forecast! I don't think Bwlch y Groes has got any easier - I may go up Froome-style, only slower!