Author Topic: Which type of lubricant do you use in a Zefal mirage track pump.  (Read 1926 times)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Have a zefal mirage pro pump, that is completely rebuildable, that seems to no longer want to hold the preasure in the tyre.  Looking through the instructions the pump should have a few drops of Zefal oil.  So anyone know what the oil is?

Seems track pumps are like gold dust, so trying to find spares.

Also anyone get a return from this link http://www.zefal.com/ou-acheter?mag=2 or this http://www.zefal.com/fr/ou-acheter?mag=2 or just a blank page

Re: Which type of lubricant do you use in a Zefal mirage track pump.
« Reply #1 on: 27 July, 2020, 03:35:31 pm »
Blank page. Going through all their products, only chain lubricants.

I've only ever used normal oil (such as 3 in 1) in pumps, but that was in the days of leather washers  ;D

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2 on: 27 July, 2020, 03:35:37 pm »
Oil can rot out butyl tubes eventually. I tend to grease leather washers and suchlike on pumps. A non-petroleum grease or oil might be preferable for polymer (plastic, rubber, etc.) seals and suchlike but there can be some weird incompatibilities. I guess a silicone grease might be compatible with most materials but check the working temperature range. The business end of a pump can get fairly warm.

Those links don't go anywhere for me.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3 on: 27 July, 2020, 05:26:04 pm »
Vaseline.

There are urban legends of people achieving compression ignition with a track pump and a petroleum-based lubricant but I am very dubious.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4 on: 27 July, 2020, 06:17:06 pm »
There are urban legends of people achieving compression ignition with a track pump and a petroleum-based lubricant but I am very dubious.

Do these people have spark plugs fitted to their track pumps?
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #5 on: 27 July, 2020, 07:43:16 pm »
Have emailed Zefal.  No one near me sells parts nor knows what to use as lubricant.
  the little flap is missing tho.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #6 on: 27 July, 2020, 08:00:05 pm »

Do these people have spark plugs fitted to their track pumps?
Well, it's theoretically possible with the compression ratio of a typical track pump but it happens much more slowly than in a diesel engine or fire piston, vaseline doesn't create much of a fuel/air mix as it's not volatile, and the check valve opens when pump pressure exceeds tyre pressure.  I suppose if the barrel was really hot from pumping several tyres, you were doing a 220psi track tub, you'd used paraffin as lubricant and you really slammed it down?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #7 on: 27 July, 2020, 08:04:24 pm »
I think I'd try the light oil that comes in tiny containers and is used for electric shavers & clippers.

« Reply #8 on: 27 July, 2020, 09:20:00 pm »
I've tried graphite-based stuff, seems to work

« Reply #9 on: 27 July, 2020, 10:35:16 pm »
two to consider;

1) silicone spray lube/grease
2) "151 super spray grease"

The latter is 'cheap but good', having a fully synthetic formula and is meant to be good for lubricating plastics etc.

As LWaB says many oils can rot rubber, including pump seals and pump washers as well as inner tubes.  Ditto Vaseline.

cheers

« Reply #10 on: 28 July, 2020, 09:26:11 am »
Not a track pump, but on the road when a little-used frame pump has failed to work, I've resurrected it with spit.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #11 on: 28 July, 2020, 12:17:31 pm »
Not a track pump, but on the road when a little-used frame pump has failed to work, I've resurrected it with spit.

Post of the day?  ;D

citoyen

« Reply #12 on: 28 July, 2020, 01:26:37 pm »
I think I'd try the light oil that comes in tiny containers and is used for electric shavers & clippers.

IIRC, that stuff is usually labelled as 'mineral oil', which I think means it is likely to be petroleum-based.

Since the tiny container that came with my clippers ran out years ago, I lubricate them with Singer sewing machine oil. No idea what is in that or whether it is suitable to use on a pump.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #13 on: 28 July, 2020, 02:44:21 pm »

IIRC, that stuff is usually labelled as 'mineral oil', which I think means it is likely to be petroleum-based.

Since the tiny container that came with my clippers ran out years ago, I lubricate them with Singer sewing machine oil. No idea what is in that or whether it is suitable to use on a pump.

On my beard clippers I use a little cooking oil (olive, vegetable or sunflower) since I ran out.  Sewing machine oil is just oil that doesn't mark clothing, I was told.

citoyen

« Reply #14 on: 28 July, 2020, 02:50:20 pm »
Sewing machine oil is just oil that doesn't mark clothing, I was told.

That makes sense. (Should add that I don't buy it specially for oiling my clippers - I only use it because we have a ready supply in the house, which my wife buys for her sewing machine, funnily enough.)

« Reply #15 on: 28 July, 2020, 03:32:00 pm »

to the strains of

cheers

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #16 on: 28 July, 2020, 09:45:01 pm »

to the strains of

cheers

TUNE

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #17 on: 28 July, 2020, 11:17:26 pm »
Seems to be a run on 3in1 type oils, none in two different auchan hypermarkets, nor two decathlons.

Found a 3in1 spray in the house, so stripped, cleaned sprayed some lube.  Will check if it works tomorrow.

« Reply #18 on: 29 July, 2020, 01:54:18 pm »
Sewing machine oil is just oil that doesn't mark clothing, I was told.

That makes sense. (Should add that I don't buy it specially for oiling my clippers - I only use it because we have a ready supply in the house, which my wife buys for her sewing machine, funnily enough.)

Sewing machine oil appears to have a variety of uses. Lasts a while, too – I think this one dates from the 1970s and it's still 2/3 full.

citoyen

« Reply #19 on: 29 July, 2020, 03:26:53 pm »
Sewing machine oil appears to have a variety of uses.

Indeed - according to the blurb on the website:
"It can also be used on Drills, Cycles, Cars, Go Karts, Motor Cycles, Door Hinges and even Guns."

Even guns!!!

Doesn't mention bicycle pumps though.

The packaging hasn't changed since the 70s by the look of it.