Author Topic: Rennes - Brest - Rennes BRM 600 - 9th June 2018  (Read 11271 times)

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
Re: Rennes - Brest - Rennes BRM 600 - 9th June 2018
« Reply #25 on: 19 January, 2018, 03:42:44 pm »
Yes and it is just a recommendation. Those who have strong views are free to ignore it.

Envoyé de mon E2033 en utilisant Tapatalk
Chief cat entertainer.

Bairn Again

« Reply #26 on: 19 January, 2018, 07:47:19 pm »
I costed this out today and as much as I was tempted, its just too expensive.   Shame, it looks great.  Will keep my powder dry for non UK cycling in 2019

« Reply #27 on: 20 January, 2018, 02:07:46 pm »
Just as thread diversion we are aiming for Chantipie - Epinal 1000km. For the lolz.

« Reply #28 on: 20 January, 2018, 02:39:24 pm »
Yes, that's correct. If you struggle with the form in French, let me know.

Baudrier?

Hi-vis/Sam Browne?

Panoramix

• Some routes
« Reply #29 on: 20 January, 2018, 03:17:59 pm »
I costed this out today and as much as I was tempted, its just too expensive.   Shame, it looks great.  Will keep my powder dry for non UK cycling in 2019
Is it the ferry?

Chief cat entertainer.

Panoramix

• Some routes
« Reply #30 on: 20 January, 2018, 03:18:28 pm »
Yes, that's correct. If you struggle with the form in French, let me know.

Baudrier?

Hi-vis/Sam Browne?

Correct

Chief cat entertainer.

Bairn Again

« Reply #31 on: 20 January, 2018, 08:18:06 pm »
Is it the ferry?

not particularly.  Starting from Edinburgh and having to get to ferry or Eurostar more of an issue. 

« Reply #32 on: 21 January, 2018, 08:09:54 pm »
Is it the ferry?

not particularly.  Starting from Edinburgh and having to get to ferry or Eurostar more of an issue.

Have a look at flying low cost. Rennes has an airport. A first google gives changing at Charles de Gaulle but I would have preferred going through an english hub airport. If going alone this could be the cheapest option. For two travelling together it is not as favourable.

Panoramix

• Some routes
« Reply #33 on: 21 January, 2018, 08:20:41 pm »
Flybe lands in Rennes so I suppose that you can do Edinburgh - Southampton - Rennes for a reasonable fare.
Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #34 on: 22 January, 2018, 01:01:59 am »
Flybe lands in Rennes so I suppose that you can do Edinburgh - Southampton - Rennes for a reasonable fare.

Knocking on £300 though, if you need to add a bike, plus several nights in a hotel if you want to keep it to a single change. (No flights on Friday, so out Thurs, back Tues for RNS-SOU-EDI - back on Monday would involve RNS-SEN-MAN-EDI, which seems tedious. And the bike is thirty quid a sector, standby.)

« Reply #35 on: 22 January, 2018, 11:40:11 am »
Out Thursday, back Tuesday just SOU-RNS is only £70 with hand lugage and SOU is about 100 mtrs from the main SWT line out of Waterloo so very accessible.
If enough people wanted to do that I could maybe take a van over on the ferry with the bikes.

Panoramix

• Some routes
« Reply #36 on: 22 January, 2018, 11:43:08 am »

Knocking on £300 though, if you need to add a bike, plus several nights in a hotel if you want to keep it to a single change. (No flights on Friday, so out Thurs, back Tues for RNS-SOU-EDI - back on Monday would involve RNS-SEN-MAN-EDI, which seems tedious. And the bike is thirty quid a sector, standby.)

Edinburgh is a long way from Brittany, it's never going to be as easy as coming from southern England.
Chief cat entertainer.

Panoramix

• Some routes
« Reply #37 on: 22 January, 2018, 11:44:05 am »
Just as thread diversion we are aiming for Chantipie - Epinal 1000km. For the lolz.

Same organiser, you'll be very welcome.
Chief cat entertainer.

Panoramix

• Some routes
« Reply #38 on: 22 January, 2018, 11:46:50 am »
Out Thursday, back Tuesday just SOU-RNS is only £70 with hand lugage and SOU is about 100 mtrs from the main SWT line out of Waterloo so very accessible.
If enough people wanted to do that I could maybe take a van over on the ferry with the bikes.

That's a lot of people to find but if you are 10 people travelling together on the ferry, you can get a group discount.
Chief cat entertainer.

Bairn Again

« Reply #39 on: 22 January, 2018, 02:30:59 pm »

Edinburgh is a long way from Brittany, it's never going to be as easy as coming from southern England.

Indeed.  Living in Edinburgh does have plenty other compensations though.   ;)

Will keep my powder dry just in case there are any big events in France in 2019 that might interest me   :)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #40 on: 22 January, 2018, 07:35:27 pm »
[my bold]
... would require a very small bike ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #41 on: 22 January, 2018, 10:16:10 pm »
[my bold]
... would require a very small bike ...

I'm planning on using Eurostar and TGV with my Moulton, a proper grown up bike that travels as hand luggage.

« Reply #42 on: 07 February, 2018, 05:41:38 pm »
I'm in!  I'm encouraged to tell you all that you'll be made welcome too!

Bien reçu votre inscription.
 Merci de parler de ce Rennes-Brest-Rennes à vos amis Audax.
 Les Bretons recevront avec plaisir les Grands-Bretons.
 Bonne préparation.
 Sportivement.

Panoramix

• Some routes
« Reply #43 on: 26 March, 2018, 07:27:46 pm »
I bump this up just in case somebody missed it...
Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #44 on: 26 March, 2018, 08:12:14 pm »
I'll probably be doing this, seems daft as I live Brestish but I do it for PBP so count on me turning up. Will enter nearer the date though in case my club 600 kills me.

« Reply #45 on: 27 April, 2018, 05:46:09 pm »
Just sent off my entry, looking forward to this one.
was gonna ask does anybody have links to a route map or gpx, but i found the openrunner numbers on the application form

« Reply #46 on: 30 April, 2018, 01:18:20 am »
I'm planning on using Eurostar and TGV with my Moulton, a proper grown up bike that travels as hand luggage.

er, no I'm not.  I got cold feet about TGV and the rail strikes, so now I'm on the Portsmouth-St Malo ferry with a non-separable bike

« Reply #47 on: 28 May, 2018, 09:56:09 pm »
Have entered this and hopefully will be able to do it! Have route sheet (although not great at French so should be fun!). Does anyone know if the controls are information controls or are there stamps to collect?  The route looks a bit complex from route sheet but suspect that is just me, not ridden an Audax in France since PBP 07, anything else I should know would be welcome. Thanks.

Panoramix

• Some routes
« Reply #48 on: 28 May, 2018, 11:16:01 pm »
Have entered this and hopefully will be able to do it! Have route sheet (although not great at French so should be fun!). Does anyone know if the controls are information controls or are there stamps to collect?  The route looks a bit complex from route sheet but suspect that is just me, not ridden an Audax in France since PBP 07, anything else I should know would be welcome. Thanks.

I think that it will be stamps to collect.
Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #49 on: 29 May, 2018, 10:12:47 pm »
What's the French for DNS? 

I'm out, with my left leg finally succumbing to tight hamstrings and leaving me on a diet of ibuprofen and paracetamol.  I'm hoping that the physio can mend me before the end of September as I am one 600 away from qualifying as an Ultra Randonneur.  It's not easy, this long distance cycling, is it?

Instead I'll have a holiday in Brittany, either with or without the bike, so it's not all bad.