Author Topic: Three Fields 100km from Alfreton Sat 10th March 2012  (Read 4237 times)

Androcles

• Cycling Weakly
Re: Three Fields 100km from Alfreton Sat 10th March 2012
« Reply #25 on: 10 March, 2012, 11:11:37 pm »
Just to echo what Fungus said, except that I'm not climbing too well at the moment (probably still a bit post-viral and lacking in miles) so I found the second leg a bit more challenging.  Last leg was a bit of a pig (Fungus zipped past me a couple of times) and I nearly ground to a halt once or twice (the second ramp out of Pinxton) so I was pleasantly surprised to find I finished in a whisker over 6 hours.

I've put my legs on notice that they've got to get their act together before Rosies to Wrags in a fortnight
Wave upon wave of demented avengers march cheerfully out of obscurity into a dream

« Reply #26 on: 11 March, 2012, 08:54:50 am »
First time on this ride for me and I think it's a great route.150 riders prove it to be a popular ride,certainly the biggest field I have ridden in.First Audax on fixed wheel for me too,which went well,apart from the climb at Laxton,which took me by surprise.Met up with another fixed rider just after Bothamsall and we rode the rest of the ride together.Just as well because he got me through a dark spot at Southwell, the last leg saw me regaining my strength and enjoying the spring sunshine.Got back feeling tired but happy.All in all a grand day out.Next ride for me is the Double Dutch in April.Don't think I'm brave enough to try 200km on fixed yet,but will certainly be doing some local 100s on fixed.It's so much fun. :) 

« Reply #27 on: 11 March, 2012, 07:38:41 pm »
Me and Mrs A rode and got round in 5h 25m. Flew out to Bothamsall, bit of confusion over which burglar alarm at which t junction for the info control (hope we got the right one). We started almost last I think and passed about 30 riders before the first control, several of whom had  received  a visit from the p******e fairy. The free control at Southwell worked well, except that the Minster Tea Rooms don't do printed receipts,so we had to get a mini statement from the cash point.

A bit of a grind back into the wind. We managed to catch a group near Farnsfield but left them again on the climb up to the A614, then caught a Matlock CC train to Blidworth, but they dropped us on the climb. Finally got in a group with the delightfully named Whirlow Wheelers and stayed with them all the way back.

I was the guy in the retro 1990's flouro JEJAMES top and my wife was in a pink and blue Plowman Craven top. A great ride but we were surprisingly 10 minutes slower than last year (but then you can lose that amount of time in the tea stops). Undecided about Roses to Wrags yet. Did it last year and really suffered in the last 20 miles.
Sherwood CC - Squadra Giallo Verde