Author Topic: Flashing front light recommendations please  (Read 3842 times)

Flashing front light recommendations please
« on: 22 November, 2009, 07:38:37 pm »
I've come to the conclusion that a flashing front light is an essential extra for night time wet commuting. I nearly had someone drive straight in to the front of me the other night, and whilst I've been driving to work this last week (swine flu excuse) in the wet, I've noticed quite how much more flashing lights stand out, and how much steady lights can be lost in all the other bright lights that are around.

I currently run a Lumicycle halogen and Cateye EL530 at the front, but would like to replace the Cateye with something stunningly flashy.

What does the panel recommend ?

I'm prepared to spend a few bob for the right one.

Many thanks.
Rust never sleeps

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Re: Flashing front light recommendations please
« Reply #1 on: 22 November, 2009, 07:46:19 pm »
Smart Polaris 5-LED.  I would not want a brighter flashing light.  In fact I use mine on steady mode most of the time cos the flashing* gets on my nerves, let alone anyone else's.

* Reflections from the road surface, road signs, etc.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #2 on: 22 November, 2009, 07:49:05 pm »
Never understood why the EL 530 did not have a flash mode.

Since you already have the road illumination sorted with the Lumi, I'd consider looking at AA-powered Fenix torches as these have an awesome flash mode. If you prefer to stick to something like the Cateye, the EL320 has an excellent flash (although it seems pricy for what is now rather old technology).  

[Edit in the light of Biggsy's post: I've had the Polaris in the past, excellent flash mode indeed and cheap too]

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3 on: 22 November, 2009, 07:51:39 pm »
The Hope Vision 1 has a god flash mode which will last for ages, and is also very good in steady mode (4 levels of brightness) when you leave the street lights behind. I use in conjunction with Solidlights and Cateye.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Zoidburg

« Reply #4 on: 22 November, 2009, 08:11:54 pm »
Readeth before thy flasheth.

High Power Light Systems On The Road

« Reply #5 on: 22 November, 2009, 09:29:53 pm »
That thread suggests that a head-torch might be the most helpful adjunct to the main lights for situations such as that mentioned in the OP.

Zoidburg

« Reply #6 on: 22 November, 2009, 09:31:14 pm »
That thread suggests that a head-torch might be the most helpful adjunct to the main lights for situations such as that mentioned in the OP.
That is indeed what I use at the moment.

« Reply #7 on: 22 November, 2009, 10:11:28 pm »
No point at all in having bright lights... I have an Enduro Maxx at 720 lumens yet still some muppets cannot see it.... I rest my case

« Reply #8 on: 22 November, 2009, 10:18:35 pm »
Have you shown that video to Plod? And if not, why not?
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #9 on: 22 November, 2009, 10:25:19 pm »
Coming home the other night, with two sets of Ay-Ups on the bars and a Blackburn Flea on flash I still had a twat pull out into me on a mini-roundabout. You can light yourself up like a christmas tree, if the fannies don't look they'll not see you.

I am thinking of getting a helmet, not for any safety aspect but simply so I can attach one of the Ay-Ups to it, that way you can direct it at them when they're doing/about to do something stupid. I think that's the major benefits of helmet lights, especially really bright ones. They've no choice but to notice you.

« Reply #10 on: 23 November, 2009, 09:29:43 am »
I bought this one very bright for it's size
Cateye EL130 Front light 28% DISCOUNT!!! - £14.39

« Reply #11 on: 23 November, 2009, 10:51:29 am »
Gamma LED Headtorch - Alpkit
always seems like a good value option for a helmet-mounted light.  Especially as you get another little red "flasher" on the back.
Their customer service is usually fantastic, shame they are out of stock at present.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #12 on: 23 November, 2009, 11:35:38 am »
The Dinotte 600L.

You can't miss it on the strobe setting...  ;D
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #13 on: 23 November, 2009, 11:49:13 am »
The torches and the Hope have too small a frontal area to use as a visibility light.  Any cheap (£10) multi-led flasher does a much better job and will last for ages without rebatting.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #14 on: 23 November, 2009, 08:47:48 pm »
Wiggle do a great offer on the USE Exposure Joystick MaX2.  It is simply awesome for weight, size, CFD ( cable free design ) water proofness, durability, ease of charging, use etc al.  It can either be fitted to bars with a quick release or your helmet. Both fittings are included in the Wiggle deal.  I am so impressed that I have two.  In the winter one is on the bars and the other on my lid. In the warmer and lighter months one stays on each bike for less hassle when I want ride one this day and the other the next.  Awesome light.

« Reply #15 on: 23 November, 2009, 09:49:21 pm »
I would think the USE Exposure Joystick MaX2 at £162 is simply ridiculous as a being seen flashing light.

I agree with the choice of the Smart Polaris 5-LED, available for about £10-15, it's all you need as a visibility light in addition to a main bright steady front light.

Wilkinson do a light that's very similar to the Smart in form and brightness but seems to be less well made; £10 inc a rear light.

« Reply #16 on: 23 November, 2009, 10:17:23 pm »
Another vote for a headtorch. I choose it in preference to a super-bright bike-mounted flasher. It’s high enough that it stands out from the clutter of motor vehicle lights. More importantly, you can shine it directly at drivers that probably haven’t seen you. IME most of those are outside the useful beam of anything fixed to the bike.

Mine doesn't require a h*lm*t.

« Reply #17 on: 23 November, 2009, 10:31:21 pm »
I would think the USE Exposure Joystick MaX2 at £162 is simply ridiculous as a being seen flashing light.

I agree with the choice of the Smart Polaris 5-LED, available for about £10-15, it's all you need as a visibility light in addition to a main bright steady front light.

Wilkinson do a light that's very similar to the Smart in form and brightness but seems to be less well made; £10 inc a rear light.

£162 !!!  not with my platinum discount.  That is just the point.  It is not another flashing light.  It has 24 hour run time in that mode but doubles as a fantastic emergency very bright get you home light etc.  if needs must.  It is such  doddle to maintain and that to me makes the cycling just that bit more enjoyable rather than admin to cycle.

LEE

« Reply #18 on: 23 November, 2009, 10:42:46 pm »
I use "Powerbeam" lights on flash setting for being seen.

They are £2 from ebay, they are small, take 4xAAA cells and are very noticeable.
They are my summer emergency lights.

Useless as a light to see by though.

hawkeye

« Reply #19 on: 25 November, 2009, 07:03:33 pm »
For clarity, I've copied the operating instructions from the £1.99 "Power Beam"

'Operation:
Drift the switch - button ahead, then the LED lamp glisten. Drift it once more, the lamp become powered ,and do again then cut out the lamp'

I hope that makes everything clear.

« Reply #20 on: 30 November, 2009, 01:13:05 pm »
Thank you all. I've ordered a Hope Vision 1 and will let you know what I think when I've had a chance to test it.

I've been following the thread dedicated to this light as well so am aware of its limitations.

Reasons for my choice ?

1  I really want a very very bright flash, and I'm more confident the Hope delivers this as compared to the Cateye lights and the other suggestions (beyond the crazily expensive [for me] Grub light).

2  I'm not concerned about a narrowish arc. The Lumicycle I run has the flood bulb in it, and my principal couple of recent scares have come as a result of cars directly in line with where my lights have been pointing, leading me to believe my already good lights are getting lost in the vehicle lights behind me.

3  If the Lumi fails I want a light good enough to see my way home by.
Rust never sleeps

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #21 on: 30 November, 2009, 01:30:08 pm »
Will the very very bright flash give you the confidence to proceed when you otherwise wouldn't?  That would not be a good thing.

Aren't you bothered about it getting on your nerves and other people's?

Btw, lights like Smart Polaris are bright enough to see by on unlit roads at modest speeds.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #22 on: 30 November, 2009, 01:32:38 pm »
The flash on the Hope is relatively non-annoying compared to the strobe-like Fenix torch.

« Reply #23 on: 30 November, 2009, 03:20:26 pm »
Will the very very bright flash give you the confidence to proceed when you otherwise wouldn't?  That would not be a good thing.
Two incidents.
  1  At a traffic light controlled crossroads. Single lane in both directions opening up to add a right turn only right lane in both directions. I am turning right. The markings on the road indicate vehicles should pass nearside to nearside. I'm positioned to make the turn waiting for the oncoming traffic to pass through the junction. It's dark and raining. Car approaches junction facing me, aiming to turn right. They tried going for an offside to offside passing manoeuvre which meant they were heading straight at me. Huge shout and my leaping off my bike and pulling it to the side averted the crunch.
  2  Me in a car, aiming to turn right off a busy urban road. It's dark and raining. Find a gap in the traffic and start the turn. I'm very conscious of bikes and triple check that there is nothing in the gap that appears. A bike appears from out of the lights of the next car approaching. It is much closer than the car. Far enough away that no-one was in danger, but to all intents and purposes the bike had disappeared. It had a good strong constant front light. This one really rattled me.

Aren't you bothered about it getting on your nerves and other people's?
The whole of my commute is street lit, so my guess is that this won't be as irritating as a flash in the pitch black. And in any case, irritation (mine or anyone else's) is secondary to my continued existence.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #24 on: 30 November, 2009, 03:33:12 pm »
You can choose to helmet-mount the Vision 1 as well which makes it very versatile as well as exceptionally good value.