Author Topic: Flashing front light recommendations please  (Read 3789 times)

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Re: Flashing front light recommendations please
« Reply #25 on: 30 November, 2009, 04:20:32 pm »
You can choose to helmet-mount the Vision 1 as well which makes it very versatile as well as exceptionally good value.

The only problem with doing that is that it isn't exactly light.  Whilst that may be OK for those who have strong necks, for those with buggered necks and shoulders like me it's a no go.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #26 on: 30 November, 2009, 04:52:45 pm »
My usual front light is bright enough to be irritating to me when flashing even on street lit roads.  I like cycling to be as pleasurable so I put it on steady.  I also don't want other road users irritated too much as it makes them less calm and considerate towards me.

You could make an exception in heavy rain, but to use a very very bright flashing light all the time is overkill and counter-productive, I think.  I see lots of this in London now.  Horrible on the retinas.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #27 on: 30 November, 2009, 04:59:29 pm »
The only problem with doing that is that it isn't exactly light.

It's also a problem if you don't wear a helmet.  Or maybe the two things go well together: ultra bright light and helmet for more protection to enable you to take greater risks instead of taking it easy?

EDIT: Not that there's necessarily always anything wrong with that, but I can see a link in the mentality of the two things.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #28 on: 30 November, 2009, 05:06:49 pm »
Just to be clear:  I was not advocating flashing lights on helmets, merely that the lamp can be helmet-mounted for extra versatility for offroad, commuting where you need directional light, etc.   

« Reply #29 on: 30 November, 2009, 06:07:52 pm »

You could make an exception in heavy rain, but to use a very very bright flashing light all the time is overkill and counter-productive, I think.

Heavy rain is where I have my principal concern. I will certainly set it to flash when out in these conditions.  Undecided about all other times as yet.
Rust never sleeps

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #30 on: 01 December, 2009, 04:04:50 am »
For clarity, I've copied the operating instructions from the £1.99 "Power Beam"

'Operation:
Drift the switch - button ahead, then the LED lamp glisten. Drift it once more, the lamp become powered ,and do again then cut out the lamp'

I hope that makes everything clear.
Yes, it does, thanks. It's amusing, but perfectly clear.  :)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.