Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1750002 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #2375 on: 26 October, 2011, 08:25:42 pm »
That's a shame JohnT. We've stopped at The Generals Arms so bobb can have a wee.

« Reply #2376 on: 26 October, 2011, 09:01:23 pm »
I'm sat in The Three Elms waiting for the regulars, getting stuck into a Naked Gold, very tasty it is too... hurry up!

« Reply #2377 on: 26 October, 2011, 11:36:16 pm »
That was a good ride  :thumbsup:

Even though I only live about 2 miles from the Elms, I managed to rack up nearly 50 miles!

Drinking tea and eating cake now  :)
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #2378 on: 26 October, 2011, 11:37:18 pm »
We've stopped at The Generals Arms so bobb can have a wee.

I was happy to piss at the side of the road! I think you meant "We've stopped at the Generals Arms so I can have a pint"!!  :P

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2379 on: 27 October, 2011, 01:01:00 am »
We've stopped at The Generals Arms so bobb can have a wee.

I was happy to piss at the side of the road! I think you meant "We've stopped at the Generals Arms so I can have a pint"!!  :P

I'm shocked!  It was good to see you in such fine fettle. Don't forget to post your piictures. I want the world to see how good I am at Scotch egg carving!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2380 on: 27 October, 2011, 06:58:23 am »
A classic MEMWNS ride that had everything: miles just for the sake of miles, fords, mild off-roading on 23c tyres, hills, canals, home-made Scotch eggs, pork scratchings and pickled eggs, a great shabby chic pub, muntjack deers, a bit of rain but no Rainlegs and above all great mates.

My route (everyone had a different route to a lesser or greater extent).  Some of us did the bit around Terling twice, just for fun  ;D

« Reply #2381 on: 27 October, 2011, 07:49:05 am »
A classic MEMWNS ride that had everything: miles just for the sake of miles, fords, mild off-roading on 23c tyres, hills, canals, home-made Scotch eggs, pork scratchings and pickled eggs, a great shabby chic pub, muntjack deers, a bit of rain but no Rainlegs and above all great mates.

My route (everyone had a different route to a lesser or greater extent).  Some of us did the bit around Terling twice, just for fun  ;D

Hi,
    sounds like I missed a good night.... got in from work at 2035 in th end... not bad having left home at 0545... next time :)

Oscar's dad... which Garmin do you have and how do you rate it. I ask as I have sent santa a letter asking for a garmin for christmas.... hope he brings one

JohnT

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2382 on: 27 October, 2011, 07:56:24 am »
I've had mine since 2008 and it's an eTrex HCX (or something like that)  I believe it has been superseded by newer models.  Best of luck with your foray into the world of GPS.  There are umpteen device / mapping software combinations, its a bewildering confusion of choices! 

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #2383 on: 27 October, 2011, 08:22:32 am »
There are several threads about this in the GPS forum - I can heartily recommend my Garmin Oregon.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2384 on: 27 October, 2011, 08:37:09 am »
I've had mine since 2008 and it's an eTrex HCX (or something like that)  I believe it has been superseded by newer models.  Best of luck with your foray into the world of GPS.  There are umpteen device / mapping software combinations, its a bewildering confusion of choices!

Just thought, have a chat with Huggy.  He uses a Garmin and bikeroutetoaster which is free.  I use Garmin's own mapping software (Mapsource City Navigator) which wasn't free which works well for me so I won't be changing.

« Reply #2385 on: 27 October, 2011, 08:50:43 am »
A photo. The others didn't come out well at all.

My route. Not quite complete as I switched it off at the pub.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #2386 on: 27 October, 2011, 10:10:15 am »

Just thought, have a chat with Huggy.  He uses a Garmin and bikeroutetoaster which is free.  I use Garmin's own mapping software (Mapsource City Navigator) which wasn't free which works well for me so I won't be changing.

JohnT,
I use a Garmin Edge 705 with Garmin City Navigator maps for UK & Ireland on memory card.  You need the additional maps for street level detail and turn-by-turn navigation confusion assistance.
When programming routes to load in to the GPS for navigating by I use bikeroutetoaster, as OD says.  I have used bike hike too, there are other free sources of mapping where you 'pays your money and takes your choice'.  Once I've worked out the route I wish to (try to) follow I transfer the gpx and tcx tracks to the Garmin and depending upon my mood will either let it tell me where to turn or just follow the friendly pink line.
A big choice in final GPS selection will be if you're happy with circa 15 hours of internal battery life or you want the flexibility of power coming from AA's.  I use a PowerMonkey external battery pack for times when I think 15 hours may not be enough.  Personally I've never had an issue with battery run-time on my Edge 705, but then I've only had it 8 months (there you go, set myself up for a big fail now!!).  The other choice you may want to make is touch screen or not - I'm quite happy with the non-touch screen of the 705.
A similar setup is used by Chief of this parish too.

Ultimately, you will get a different response to this topic as there are people using cycling GPS units!

I have recently noticed there seems to be a recent huge hike in prices of GPS units - mine came as a birthday pressie from Amazon last April for a little over £200 plus £25 for the maps, but they seem to be significantly more than that currently although I haven't done an exhaustive search of the best deals around at the moment.

Finally, as OD wishes you, I'll echo - Best of luck with your foray into the world of GPS  ::-)
If we do meet up on a MEMWNS ride sometime soon I'll be happy to show you mine  :o
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #2387 on: 27 October, 2011, 10:36:12 am »
Many thanks to both of you for your advice/views..... you have given me even more to think about.  :facepalm:

JohnT

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #2388 on: 27 October, 2011, 03:20:57 pm »
I have a 705 its the second one, first one bricked. Try the open source maps first, I bought the  garmin city navigator and now don't use it. Open source street maps are free of course and in my opinion contain more info, bridleways and contours.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #2389 on: 27 October, 2011, 05:43:40 pm »
I use OpenStreetmap and it's excellent, I've never had any issues with finding the way. It's particularly good in the Fatherland. And it's free!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #2390 on: 27 October, 2011, 07:04:16 pm »

For good measure and at special Oaky request, here is my GPS track of last night's ride (as recorded on the 705 for JohnT's reference  :) )
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #2391 on: 27 October, 2011, 07:17:22 pm »
Thank you for the data from your garmin 705, there seems to be everything you could want in the data

It is downloading gpx files from the web that needs to be straight forward for me.. not a techie

JohnT

« Reply #2392 on: 27 October, 2011, 07:40:21 pm »
Anyone got any views/experience of the 800

JohnT

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2393 on: 01 November, 2011, 05:37:09 pm »
A possible new destination, away from our usual manor.  Anyone been there?

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #2394 on: 01 November, 2011, 06:02:55 pm »
Sounds good, OD, but it would be a bit of a step from Dunmow, even for a highly strained athlete like myself. Perhaps in the Xmas hols.... but then there's the Maldon Mud Race.....

All academic for me this week anyway, as I've book club.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #2395 on: 01 November, 2011, 10:15:07 pm »
I've been past that pub once when exploring, but never in it.

Could possibly pay a visit tomorrow (looks to be about 20 miles from here, so I'm guessing it'd be just the Witham contingent), or go to one of the regular haunts...

I need to do some bike maintenance tonight though.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2396 on: 02 November, 2011, 12:20:52 am »
Yes, I've been in there while waiting for the ferry from Rowhedge to Wivenhoe so it must have been a weekend in the summer. Even so the ferry wasn't running because the tides were wrong or something. We ended up cycling into Colchester and back along NCN51. Son Graham lives in Wivenhoe.

It's OK. I think we only had the one pint before discovering that we needed to ride.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2397 on: 02 November, 2011, 06:39:28 am »

I should have added that this is merely idle musing for me as I'm not out this evening.  I saw their little van (as featured on their website) in Colchester and then looked them up on the web.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #2398 on: 02 November, 2011, 08:58:17 am »
I think I've been there for lunch once and sat outside in the sun on some benches.

If you do go there one evening I shall definitely come along!

« Reply #2399 on: 02 November, 2011, 09:05:06 am »

I should have added that this is merely idle musing for me as I'm not out this evening.  I saw their little van (as featured on their website) in Colchester and then looked them up on the web.

Good job you didn't see the Edinburgh Steakhouse van... dont fancy a LEL on a Wednesday night.

JohnT  :thumbsup: :o