Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1749659 times)

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #2850 on: 22 February, 2012, 07:00:57 pm »
Heading out for a blustery ride to The Wheatsheaf in Writtle soon, hopefully everyone that intends to get there rendevous safely  :)
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #2851 on: 22 February, 2012, 11:10:23 pm »
And back again on the same day that I left home - not done that for a while on a MEMWNS ride  :o
The Wheatsheaf is a very nice ale pub with lots of variety on offer, must go back there!!  2 pint of Wibblers Apprentice for the 'brief' refreshment stop with Old Git and Oscar's Dad before OG departed for home and the Withamites left shortly after for a tour of Chelmsford town centre and fast ride back with the wind - much more pleasant than the head wind on the way out!
Nearly lost the front wheel a couple of times with the cross wind  :hand: but survived okay.
Will await OD's next ride back from that London with anticipation  :)

First proper ride out on the Milano with Brooks B17, must say I quite like the B17 so far!  Only another 170 miles to go before either it or me is broken in!!

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #2852 on: 23 February, 2012, 08:52:59 am »
A top evening!  Great company (Andrij, Old Git and Huggy)  :-* to you all, great pub, great beer and a following wind all the way from London.  It doesn't get much better!

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #2853 on: 24 February, 2012, 10:08:01 am »
A top evening!  Great company (Andrij, Old Git and Huggy)  :-* to you all, great pub, great beer and a following wind all the way from London.  It doesn't get much better!

Was the following wind produced by the beer, or did you manage to find pickled eggs en-route?
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2854 on: 24 February, 2012, 10:16:44 am »

Was the following wind produced by the beer, or did you manage to find pickled eggs en-route?

It was entirely meteorological  :P

« Reply #2855 on: 24 February, 2012, 10:24:04 am »

It was entirely meteorological  :P
I wish I had had a jar of pickled eggs to combat the head wind all the way home :sick:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2856 on: 24 February, 2012, 10:25:05 am »
What head wind?  :smug:

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #2857 on: 27 February, 2012, 06:08:57 pm »
Ride this Wednesday???

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2858 on: 27 February, 2012, 06:13:46 pm »
Ride this Wednesday???

Yep, I'm riding from Cardiff to some pub called The Captain's Wife, can't remember where but the GPS knows where we're going.

Does all this help?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2859 on: 29 February, 2012, 10:42:37 pm »
Greetings from Welsh Wales. I have just done a 30 mile loop starting and finishing in Cardiff.  Tonight has not been without incident; the Reader's Digest version ...

I managed to exit Cardiff along the Taff Trail past the Millennium Stadium then suffered my first navigational embarrassment of the evening and found myself going back into the city centre.  A  U-turn solved the problem.  Much spooky, dark and empty lanes ensued, I were scared.  I was even more scared when navigational embarrassment number two saw me doing a mile on a muddy farm track across some fields.  Then hills.  Then, thank goodness, the Captain’s Wife (a pub, stop sniggering at the back) in Sully.  Two pinks of The Rev James, prawn cocktail and hunter’s chicken – yummy.  Then back into the night.  Found the bridge over the river by Cardiff Marina, the white water canoeing thing looked like fun.  Then navigational challenge number three.  Went round a massive roundabout twice only to find my exit coned off.  Ignored cones, cycled along deserted dual carriage way (cos of the cones, see?), into a big tunnel, waved at the chaps fixing the lights in the ceiling (that’s why the road was coned off) then back to the hotel – phew!

Fully functioning brakes were a big improvement on this time last week.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #2860 on: 07 March, 2012, 08:50:23 am »
Looks like a  meteorological repeat of two weeks ago for riders from the West having a following wind to assist

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2861 on: 07 March, 2012, 08:53:54 am »
Looks like a  meteorological repeat of two weeks ago for riders from the West having a following wind to assist

Yes indeed.  So, there will be a few of us having a brief (yes it will be brief this time - for me at least) refreshment stop at Writtle's Wheatsheaf if anyone fancies it.  I'm guessing our ETA will be about 8:30 to 9pm. 

Andyf

• I would engage you in a battle of wits, but it appears you came unarmed.
  • I love my Specialized, and my Specialized loves me
« Reply #2862 on: 07 March, 2012, 09:18:31 am »

Yes indeed.  So, there will be a few of us having a brief (yes it will be brief this time - for me at least) refreshment stop at Writtle's Wheatsheaf if anyone fancies it.  I'm guessing our ETA will be about 8:30 to 9pm.

Brief is good for me  :thumbsup: Mrs Andyf said that she hopes it will not end up like normal MEMWNS i.e. rolling in at 1 am with 5 pints of Essex energy drink inside me
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting: "What a ride!" - Brian Davies

« Reply #2863 on: 08 March, 2012, 09:39:09 am »
In the current stage of my life that's what I call a good night out. Good ride and good company. Good to meet you all and up for it again very soon.

Thanks also to Huggy and Oscar's dad for the refreshments at Writtle. My round next week!

Cheers

Chris

Andyf

• I would engage you in a battle of wits, but it appears you came unarmed.
  • I love my Specialized, and my Specialized loves me
« Reply #2864 on: 08 March, 2012, 09:40:59 am »
In the current stage of my life that's what I call a good night out. Good ride and good company. Good to meet you all and up for it again very soon.

Thanks also to Huggy and Oscar's dad for the refreshments at Writtle. My round next week!

Cheers

Chris

+1  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting: "What a ride!" - Brian Davies

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #2865 on: 08 March, 2012, 10:33:46 am »

Cheers

Chris

+1  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

+1  :thumbsup:
I rode out to Writtle via NH as I don't know any other way on a Wednesday night and arrived at the same time as OD & Andyf were dismounting and Christophe had been sent off on a wild goose chase but arrived back soon after.
It was good to meet Andyf and Christophe  :)

Any fears of late arrival to respective homes on a MEMWNS ride were dispelled when after a 2 x Essex Energy Drink stop we departed Writtle, wind assisted, and zig zagged our way to Witham and indoors before 11pm, almost unheard of  :o

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2866 on: 08 March, 2012, 11:57:13 am »
Any fears of late arrival to respective homes on a MEMWNS ride were dispelled when after a 2 x Essex Energy Drink stop we departed Writtle, wind assisted, and zig zagged our way to Witham and indoors before 11pm, almost unheard of  :o

All I will say with reference to the highlighted text above is that our route from Writtle to Witham could do with a little bit of work  ::-)   ;D  I calculate that I could have been tucked up with a warm Essex blonde a good 30 minutes before I actually achieved said objective!

Anyhow, I am glad Christophe and Andyf enjoyed their MEMWNS experience.  The experience covers a broad spectrum.  Last we night we did one end, that being "more riding than beer".  The other end of the spectrum involves a lot more beer, and intimate encounter with a grass verge and examining your Magic Hat TM the next morning wondering why it's covered in mud.  Others will have different variations of experience at this end of the spectrum  ;D

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2867 on: 09 March, 2012, 04:55:32 pm »
Not quite mid-week and with more than a hint of forward planning I should like to inform anyone who gives a to55 that next Thursday (15th) I shall be riding out to the King Billy in order to drink some pints with my old mate Dave.  Some of you will know this gentleman as he and I used to be NCN Rangers, in fact Dave still is.

I plan to leave Witham at about 7pm.  You are most welcome to join me for the ride or meet us at the pub.  If you've not visited the King Billy (or is it King Willy?) you should.  They have a good range of beers and often serve home made port pies.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #2868 on: 09 March, 2012, 06:05:09 pm »
I could well be up for that OD as I'm in That London on Wednesday next week so won't be getting out on the bike that night.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2869 on: 09 March, 2012, 06:10:27 pm »
I could well be up for that OD as I'm in That London on Wednesday next week so won't be getting out on the bike that night.

:thumbsup:  You've met Dave haven't you?

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #2870 on: 09 March, 2012, 06:31:21 pm »

:thumbsup:  You've met Dave haven't you?
I have, but only in an enitrely cycling sense, not much beer was enjoyed in his company  ;D

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2871 on: 09 March, 2012, 06:51:11 pm »
By all accounts our Dave can put it away. There was one occassion when he couldn't turn up for a Sunday morning Witham Cycling ride cos he was too hung over from the night before. He and Mrs Dave had been to some country music bash in a church hall somewhere. And there was me thinking senior citizens should set an example to us youngsters!

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #2872 on: 13 March, 2012, 09:26:07 pm »
 I find I am free on Thursday to indulge in two hobbies in one evening :thumbsup: I'll aim for an eta of about 9pm, then?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2873 on: 13 March, 2012, 09:30:26 pm »
Excellent! Huggy and I are aiming to get to the King Billy about 8pm having gone up The Mighty North Hill and looped past The Compasses at Littlely Green on our way to Notley.

« Reply #2874 on: 14 March, 2012, 12:41:30 pm »
Thursday's no good for me unfortunaltey as it's a school run day for me.

I'll be having a solo MEMWNS ride home from London tonight through Epping Forest and then through The Rodings, Easters, Pleshey etc. No drinking involved. ( i think it might be my age but I think I've gone off alcohol (shock horror!!))

Have a good night out and maybe catch up next week.
Cheers