Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1749993 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #4850 on: 13 March, 2014, 08:40:21 pm »
You can't blame Tomsk, he wasn't present. 

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #4851 on: 13 March, 2014, 09:25:55 pm »
It was more to do with the landlord of the Prince of Wales wanting his beauty sleep and kicking us out at 10:30!
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4852 on: 14 March, 2014, 06:34:51 am »
It was more to do with the landlord of the Prince of Wales wanting his beauty sleep and kicking us out at 10:30!

What!  That has to be a contravention of your human rights!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4853 on: 14 March, 2014, 07:38:30 am »
Myself and Huggy are riding out of Witham at 0730hrs tomorrow (Saturday) to do a finessed version of Wednesday evening's route as I missed out on Hag Lane and want to see Radar Hill in daylight (assuming it's not foggy).

Feel free to come along   :thumbsup:

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #4854 on: 14 March, 2014, 04:04:30 pm »
Myself and Huggy are riding out of Witham at 0730hrs tomorrow (Saturday) to do a finessed version of Wednesday evening's route as I missed out on Hag Lane and want to see Radar Hill in daylight (assuming it's not foggy).

Err... how did you miss out on Hagg Hill?  We gave you directions as you left the pub!
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4855 on: 14 March, 2014, 04:05:16 pm »

Err... how did you miss out on Hagg Hill?  We gave you directions as you left the pub!

GPS said no!

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #4856 on: 17 March, 2014, 09:24:12 am »
Just bumping this up, although not so advanced notice now.
*** ADVANCE PLANNING ALERT - THOSE OF A SENSITIVE NATURE LOOK AWAY NOW ***

Tomsk and I are going to be riding his DTDO 200km Perm on Wednesday 19th, starting sometime between 8 and 8:30am from Great Dunmow (I'll be setting off from Witham about 6:45, probably), if anyone would like to join us.
Post ride drinks will be in The Compasses, eta 9pm.

---- ALERT END ----

OD is planning on intercepting us, possibly in Wethersfield, as he now finds himself available this week.
When I did the same thing almost exactly a year ago my recorded route was: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/284151959

Obvious meeting points are Sudbury (Maccy D's on the NE corner?), Sible Headingham (probably favourite for a 7pm departure from Witham) or Wethersfield.
I wouldn't set out next Wednesday evening to intercept us though as we're not going until the 19th - I did say this was advance planning  ;D

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4857 on: 17 March, 2014, 09:37:26 am »
^^^ This is indeed the case, unless real life gets in the way.

In other news ...

I am planning to ride a 150k DIY on Sunday.  Good Beer Guide target pub is the Red Cow, Chrishall.  The pace will not be brisk, I am intending to ride it as a BP for extra wriggle room, as I shall be on my roadified MTB since Son of Oscar, the blue Ribble is in bits (due to deep cleaning, he isn't emotionally overwrought).  Because I need to be back at a reasonable hour I will be leaving Witham at 7am.  Feel free to tag along.

« Reply #4858 on: 18 March, 2014, 01:17:00 pm »
Would love to come along on Sunday. Had roughly lined out a trip to Bury but nothing concrete so not going solo would be great and the 150 should see me good for my first 200 on the 29th.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4859 on: 18 March, 2014, 01:28:15 pm »
Would love to come along on Sunday. Had roughly lined out a trip to Bury but nothing concrete so not going solo would be great and the 150 should see me good for my first 200 on the 29th.

OK chap, you're on!  Do you wanna do it as an audax (I am so I can get a medal!) or just for fun?

Errr, some words of warning ...

Are you ok setting off from Witham at 7am?  If so, meet at my house (I will PM you the address).  Here is the route.

The Ribble which I rode the other day is in bits so I will be on my heavy bike with extra luggage (trying out some stuff) so the pace will be gentlemanly.  To make life just that little bit more difficult I was going to try a 3 hour non-stop stint to begin with.  I've done similar stints before so would like to see if I can still cope. 

How does all that grab you?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4860 on: 18 March, 2014, 01:30:25 pm »
Oh, something else, the route uses more A roads than I would prefer.  Trying to keep the riding distance down, its already over at 160k.

« Reply #4861 on: 18 March, 2014, 03:52:02 pm »
I'll take a look when I get home tonight. It all sounds OK, still need final clearance from Control as well! Will get back to you. I ordered a larger Carradice bag for future trips which should be with me in the next couple of days so will be a good chance to try it out this weekend.

« Reply #4862 on: 18 March, 2014, 04:56:35 pm »
Afternoon

Looks like OD is in for a day of fun on Sunday.Would love to come but 'we have plans'. (management speak for 'you've got household stuff to do and run the kids around all weekend')
Just a quick tip on the route, I definitely wouldn't cycle on the main road between Halstead and Sudbury. Head more eastward via Pebmarsh / Lamarsh. In fact uless you want to actually go to Halstead, just replace Halstead with Lamarsh and it gets you to 155km. Bingo :thumbsup:

Edit - replace Halstead with Lamarsh and take out Linton and that's your 150km

« Reply #4863 on: 18 March, 2014, 10:46:31 pm »
I'm in for Sunday....I have my S**t sorted now. (Or better said I had it sorted for me)

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #4864 on: 19 March, 2014, 08:59:09 am »
I'm aiming to meet you at the pub tonight.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #4865 on: 19 March, 2014, 09:53:12 am »
I'm going to be there too, but I won't get as far as Wethersfield to meet the intrepid audaxers. 

I'll set off from witham around 19:45, ride outward along a bit of huggy's likely approach route in the hope of intercepting them, before turning round and heading for the Compasses, probably aiming for 21:30ish arrival.

bloomers100

« Reply #4866 on: 19 March, 2014, 02:31:46 pm »
I'll be there after 8 with whatsisface.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4867 on: 19 March, 2014, 02:36:06 pm »
I'll be there after 8 with whatsisface.

Who?  ;D

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #4868 on: 19 March, 2014, 07:48:18 pm »
I just had word from huggy that they have had a good run round DTDO and were back in Dunmow by about half past 7, so should be in the Compasses not long after 8!

I'd better get me skates on!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4869 on: 20 March, 2014, 06:30:42 am »
Good to see bloomers and Simon (I did it!!!) last night.

bloomers100

« Reply #4870 on: 20 March, 2014, 11:04:28 am »
A jolly old evening during which OD showed us some of his big books, also some ideas for the little book of ideas, but I can't remember what they were and OD revealed his death ride 150 plan for the Alps. Well, good luck with that.

PBP plans were also discussed and Oaky wavered and said he would come too.

Bishop Nick Captain Ridley, Adnams Oyster stout and Kirkby Lonsdale Ruskin's were sampled.

Well done to Tomsk and Huggy for their ride. 2 x 200 for Tomsk inside 5 days, not bad for March.

Lord Chief would've enjoyed it had he not deserted the parish.   ;)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4871 on: 25 March, 2014, 08:12:10 am »
Tomorrow?? There's the matter of The Coffee Table Book + maps that I'm looking forward to, OD.....luggage capacity to be expanded  :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4872 on: 25 March, 2014, 08:27:18 am »
Tomorrow?? There's the matter of The Coffee Table Book + maps that I'm looking forward to, OD.....luggage capacity to be expanded  :thumbsup:

Yes, tomorrow indeed ...

There was some talk of The Hurdlemakers. 

Currently Huggy has The Book and maps but might be willing to pass to you for first perusal. 

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #4873 on: 25 March, 2014, 10:06:55 am »
The Hudlemakers was mentioned because it has just been announced as the Maldon & Dengie CAMRA PotY so deserves a visit.  I did also mention the idea of a Witham Cycling led ride to there on that forum which also generated some interest.
Don't mind if we go there this week and I revisit with a WC ride another time.

I'll bring the maps and book the size of a coffee table with me, not had chance to look at them yet but I'm sure Tomsk will get to fastidiously study them before I open the carrier bag.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4874 on: 25 March, 2014, 10:14:59 am »
The Book the Size of a Coffee Table could end up like the yacf LEJOG Baton!