Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1749687 times)

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series (plus random E Anglian stuff)
« Reply #6100 on: 29 January, 2015, 08:39:42 am »
Twas indeed a nice ride last night, a bit windy a bit chilly (Garmin showing 0 degrees) but not wet!  :thumbsup:

The Oddfellows was nice enough, shame it has turned trendy as OD mentions as it would have been a nice traditional boozer in it's heyday...... I opted for a pint of Once Bittern from the Norfolk brewery which was well received.

Apologies Tomsk that we all bailed on you after just a pint, I thought it was a nice opportunity this week to return on Weds rather than Thurs, as it turned out what I thought would be extra miles (returning via Terling) turned out not to be having completed 36 miles the same as OD  :facepalm:

Hope to join you OD on ticking off a few more of those missing GBG 2013 pubs......

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #6101 on: 29 January, 2015, 08:43:51 am »
... as it turned out what I thought would be extra miles (returning via Terling) turned out not to be having completed 36 miles the same as OD  :facepalm:

You did get a few  bonus miles as I did a warm up loop before we met up  :thumbsup:

The Retiree

« Reply #6102 on: 29 January, 2015, 08:48:25 am »

You did get a few  bonus miles as I did a warm up loop before we met up  :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: I thought the Terling way home might generate a few extra miles in the legs......

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #6103 on: 29 January, 2015, 08:59:55 am »
By the way, I have now ridden to 53 of the 110 Essex pubs in the 2013 edition of the Good Beer Guide.  Many of the remainder are further away and, as we discussed, will make good objectives for PBP non-audax training rides to be ridden between qualifying and the event itself.

I think this effort needs a website of its own, complete with a SPOT tracker page.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6104 on: 29 January, 2015, 09:25:42 am »
By the way, I have now ridden to 53 of the 110 Essex pubs in the 2013 edition of the Good Beer Guide.  Many of the remainder are further away and, as we discussed, will make good objectives for PBP non-audax training rides to be ridden between qualifying and the event itself.

I think this effort needs a website of its own, complete with a SPOT tracker page.

Steve A's next challenge!

« Reply #6105 on: 29 January, 2015, 11:55:42 am »
A good ride last night still getting over the man flu just left with a bit of a cough  :sick:. Nice pint of Maldon gold in the Oddfellows. Hope to be back to full speed soon.   

The Retiree

« Reply #6106 on: 29 January, 2015, 12:50:58 pm »
A good ride last night still getting over the man flu just left with a bit of a cough  :sick:. Nice pint of Maldon gold in the Oddfellows. Hope to be back to full speed soon.   

Considering you're still suffering the after effects of man flu, your Strava cup haul from last night was mightly impressive...... Quote of the night had to be from the old boy at the bar who said to me 'I thought you lot were supposed to be really fit with all the miles you ride, you ain't stopped coughing since you sat at the table!'  :o

« Reply #6107 on: 29 January, 2015, 03:14:33 pm »

Considering you're still suffering the after effects of man flu, your Strava cup haul from last night was mightly impressive...... Quote of the night had to be from the old boy at the bar who said to me 'I thought you lot were supposed to be really fit with all the miles you ride, you ain't stopped coughing since you sat at the table!'  :o

I didnt do to bad did i  :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6108 on: 29 January, 2015, 03:48:26 pm »
... Quote of the night had to be from the old boy at the bar who said to me 'I thought you lot were supposed to be really fit with all the miles you ride, you ain't stopped coughing since you sat at the table!'  :o

It's you young blokes letting the side down.  Huggy stayed at home and Oros clearly needed a new lung or two.  Me and Old Tomsk (both in our 6th decade  :o ) didn't cough once  O:-)   :smug:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6109 on: 02 February, 2015, 08:22:57 am »
Any thoughts for Wednesday evening?  I may not be able to make the Spa Rd roundabout for 7:30pm so if needs be I will head for the target pub solo and meet you there.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #6110 on: 02 February, 2015, 08:32:02 am »
I vote for the Viper  :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6111 on: 02 February, 2015, 08:41:16 am »
I vote for the Viper  :thumbsup:

That's not a bad idea.  The return leg to Witham could involve going thru Chelmsford on gritted roads.  What do others think?

The Retiree

« Reply #6112 on: 02 February, 2015, 08:44:46 am »
I was going to say The Hurdlemakers (maybe a bit unTomskfriendly!) but i'm happy with the Viper (somewhere I haven't visited before)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6113 on: 02 February, 2015, 08:49:18 am »
Hurdlemakers next week?  Wanna do a route?

I already have a route for the The Viper so I will share it if we go with The Viper

The Retiree

« Reply #6114 on: 02 February, 2015, 09:06:57 am »
Hurdlemakers next week?  Wanna do a route?

I already have a route for the The Viper so I will share it if we go with The Viper

This is extreme advance planning  :thumbsup: where's Oaky........ Yes I will compile a route for next Weds to the Hurdlemakers and look forward to seeing our route out to the Viper this week!

« Reply #6115 on: 02 February, 2015, 09:35:46 am »
I spent most of the second half of yesterday afternoon cleaning and servicing my bikes, I think I might stay off them until the roads are completely dry  ;D Turns out my rear wheel needs a new rim, it seems that the damage from hitting the pothole could cause potential issues and I don't want it to fail while I am riding so I get to strip the spokes and send them off to Herr Rowland to be fitted to a new rim.

I'm not likely for this week but very keen to give the Hurdlemakers a try the following week. Hopefully it will be nice and warm by then!

« Reply #6116 on: 02 February, 2015, 11:50:57 am »
Hurdlemakers next week - that is in my direction. Might even pop along.

« Reply #6117 on: 02 February, 2015, 03:19:24 pm »
Wont be out this week still waiting for my double lung replacment.  :sick:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6118 on: 02 February, 2015, 05:30:09 pm »
A proposed route to The Viper for the Witham peloton: CLICKY.

Remember, I might not make the start by 7:30 so press on without me if I don't show up on time.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #6119 on: 02 February, 2015, 06:07:15 pm »
...The Hurdlemakers (maybe a bit unTomskfriendly!)...

...It'll be a bit longer than usual, but at least I can go back thru Chelmo on gritted roads. Then there's always the mtb with the old Marathon Winters. Out for a short ride today and the roads, gritted or otherwise, are all dried out, though the ground has stayed frozen all day.

Otoh, The Viper is about a 40 mile round trip.

The Retiree

« Reply #6120 on: 03 February, 2015, 09:04:51 am »

Remember, I might not make the start by 7:30 so press on without me if I don't show up on time.

Looks like a nice route OD with another little trip up TMNH, as you may not be available for a 7.30 set off from Spa Road does anyone know if I can download the route straight from Bikely to my Edge? Or if you're out Huggy we could just follow you  ;D  :facepalm:

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #6121 on: 03 February, 2015, 09:10:11 am »
+1
Get in line behind me  :(
I have just ridden the one and a half miles in to the office, downhill, I'm still coughing now.  The cold air on my chest doesn't work for me at the moment....Hurdlemakers next week it is....hopefully....
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6122 on: 03 February, 2015, 09:16:57 am »

Looks like a nice route OD with another little trip up TMNH, as you may not be available for a 7.30 set off from Spa Road does anyone know if I can download the route straight from Bikely to my Edge?

I have just tried to upload the gpx file to Garmin Connect but it isn't playing nicely.  How about I email you the gpx file?

The Retiree

« Reply #6123 on: 03 February, 2015, 09:24:26 am »
+1
Get in line behind me  :(
I have just ridden the one and a half miles in to the office, downhill, I'm still coughing now.  The cold air on my chest doesn't work for me at the moment....Hurdlemakers next week it is....hopefully....

OD what were you mentioning last week about yourself and Tomsk being fresh as daisies whilst the youngsters struggle........  ;)

I have just tried to upload the gpx file to Garmin Connect but it isn't playing nicely.  How about I email you the gpx file?

Thanks OD don't worry I will export as a GPX file and upload to BikeRouteToaster and plug the Edge straight into that!  :thumbsup:

The Retiree

« Reply #6124 on: 03 February, 2015, 10:36:45 am »

OD a quick update - Andy C33 is only 50/50 to ride at this stage, with this being the case if he decides not to ride I will likely liaise with you tomorrow eve and meet at whatever time suits you at Spa Road to ride with your good self!  :thumbsup: