Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1749630 times)

Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series (plus random E Anglian stuff)
« Reply #6800 on: 20 May, 2015, 01:52:38 pm »
I'll be riding from home, will try and get out to meet you at the end of the road. I'll be twiddling a long tonight on the Commuter, all my power is being saved for the weekend!

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #6801 on: 20 May, 2015, 05:27:17 pm »
Work is conspiring to chew up my evening at the moment so don't wait for me at the roundabout if I'm not there on time.  If I do make it out after that I'll take the direct route to the pub.
Really need to test the legs before Saturday seeing as I'm now taking antibiotics to clear a chest infection, although the Doc did just tell me to get on with riding 600km and the drugs won't stop me doing it.
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #6802 on: 20 May, 2015, 06:30:02 pm »
I'm a bit snowed under with work as well at the moment....a week off means a weeks work today....I'll do my best to get over there but don't wait for me along the way!

EDIT: SOD WORK....I'm coming out! I'll see y all in Tiptree

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #6803 on: 21 May, 2015, 08:11:27 am »
Good brisk ride last night ['Poppy' on 80" fixed] and another new pub ticked off for me. After my hedge stop off the back on the return, I lost sight of the peloton so I freelanced it back via a bit of a loop to Hatfield Peverel, to make 75 miles - MEMWNS record, for me at least?

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #6804 on: 21 May, 2015, 09:29:35 am »
 :thumbsup:

You went to The Plough at Peldon?  Sorry, struggling to keep up  ::-)

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #6805 on: 21 May, 2015, 10:01:00 am »
Yes - we visited the Plough at Peldon.  Which has a very friendly dog and the usual selection of incredulous locals ("how far?|?").

A friendly place, with the standard Greene King ale selection (IPA and Abbot - although the Abbot was sold out) along with Doom Bar.

I set off a little after 8pm taking a slightly more direct route over to Tiptree (up blue Mills Hill then along the NCN1 route, apart from PotholePennsylvania Lane, picking up the main peloton's route just after Layer Marney Tower.  i had little hope of catching them, but tried my best, arriving about 15 minutes behind them.  It was still just about light, and warm enough for short sleeves.  DL, tippers, tedshred, Tomsk, Andy C33 and huggy were tucking into their first pints when I joined them.

A couple of beers later, we set off back.  It had cooled quite a bit - DL noted ~5C at some point on the way home.

You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #6806 on: 21 May, 2015, 01:50:24 pm »
I fear 75 miles is going to be DL's new benchmark  :facepalm:

bring it on if I survive the weekend

Bit of a clichéd selection of ales last night but the 4 mile ride home made up for it  :thumbsup:

The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
« Reply #6807 on: 21 May, 2015, 02:29:21 pm »
I lost sight of the peloton so I freelanced it back via a bit of a loop to Hatfield Peverel, to make 75 miles - MEMWNS record, for me at least?

Yes I think you probably have got a MEMWNS record there Tomsk, my personal MEMWNS record is 62 miles from OD's criss cross route a few weeks back  ;D

I fear 75 miles is going to be DL's new benchmark  :facepalm:

bring it on if I survive the weekend

^^ now there's a thought....... a new benchmark to beat and Ted's called it on!  :o  :thumbsup:  :facepalm:

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #6808 on: 21 May, 2015, 11:35:04 pm »
75 miles may be Tomsk's record but the longest MEMWNS ride I set of 155 miles a couple of years I think has recently been bettered by Tippers, so you have a way to go to hold the record, DL  :P

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6809 on: 22 May, 2015, 09:10:06 am »
Point of order, your epic ride was TO a MEMWNS venue and you started during the day. Perhaps the record should be based on distance covered starting at 7:30pm on Wednesday evening up until midnight.

The Retiree

« Reply #6810 on: 22 May, 2015, 09:17:48 am »
Point of order, your epic ride was TO a MEMWNS venue and you started during the day. Perhaps the record should be based on distance covered starting at 7:30pm on Wednesday evening up until midnight.

I was going to say 155 miles in an evening is a massive acheivement that is unlikely to be beaten by anyone unless you took a huge detour home after the pub stop!  :o I assumed Tomsk was referring to an evening MEMWNS record of which 75 miles is mightily impressive  :thumbsup:

« Reply #6811 on: 22 May, 2015, 09:24:31 am »
11 Nov. 09, 85.08 miles, the Norton via Witham, with Auntie_Helen and Uncle James. We were going to collect Oaky from his home but because I didn't allow for the speed of AH he'd already left.

ETA: The Norton has changed a little since then but OD still has a right cheek!

We've yet to determine what he named the other one.  :P

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #6812 on: 22 May, 2015, 09:33:02 am »
Point of order, your epic ride was TO a MEMWNS venue and you started during the day.
Nah, point of order dismissed, it was billed as a MEMWNS event, the fact that I was the only one dedicated foolish enough to be cycling through a mixture of sunshine and snow in March all day does not strike it from my memory as a full MEMWNS to the Compasses, especially as there were others there when I arrived, even the mythical Chief!

Perhaps the record should be based on distance covered starting at 7:30pm on Wednesday evening up until midnight.
That discounts most of our rides then if they have to be completed before midnight  ::-)

The Retiree

« Reply #6813 on: 22 May, 2015, 09:45:16 am »
^^ I think point of order will have to be upheld as it is MEMWNOCTURNALS therefore day riding cannot be counted as being a nocturnal activity!  :facepalm:

Looks like Del is the current record holder by all accounts, however whether he sneeked in before the midnight cut off remains TBC ditto for Tomsk on Wednesday night?

I can confirm my 62 miles recorded from OD's route did dip just over the hour of midnight as I returned home about 5/10 past the midnight hour....  :demon:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6814 on: 22 May, 2015, 09:50:44 am »
I think this needs to be fully debated and the consensus, once reached, should be officially recorded in the Little Book of Big Ideas.

The Retiree

« Reply #6815 on: 22 May, 2015, 09:56:39 am »
I think this needs to be fully debated and the consensus, once reached, should be officially recorded in the Little Book of Big Ideas.

Fantastic idea OD, and to keep all parties happy we could include a 'bolt on' record for distance covered which incorporates a MEMWNS, I think as Huggy mentioned this would go to Tomsk and Tippers after the Wednesday perm and attendance for MEMWNS at the Compasses a few months back....

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #6816 on: 22 May, 2015, 11:56:13 am »
Given the long tradition of MEMWNS rides finishing in the Wee Small Hours, I don't think a midnight cut-off is appropriate.  The Crack of Dawn (stop sniggering at the back!), perhaps, although rocking up home then might lead to strife from mrs_o.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #6817 on: 22 May, 2015, 11:59:04 am »
* Oaky starts to think about an overnighter MEMWNS-roolz-compliant DIY (i.e. fully nocturnal - early evening until dawn, Essex-based, with a genuine pub stop).

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #6818 on: 22 May, 2015, 05:42:54 pm »
I think Tippers might be the winner having ridden from home to Dunmow, done the Dick Turpin 200, Compasses and back home again...

My ride last Weds finished after midnight, so I'm dq'd   :'(

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #6819 on: 22 May, 2015, 09:13:02 pm »
I still think that starting in the morning shouldn't count.

(and finishing after midnight should be fine, provided it's still "nocturnal" i.e. before dawn).

* Oaky goes away and forms the MEMWNS-Actually-Nocturnal-Mileage-Record-Liberation-Front

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6820 on: 23 May, 2015, 09:58:30 am »
We need rules!  In the great tradition of yacf if let's start a massive debate about bollox that doesn't actually matter two hoots  ;D

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6821 on: 23 May, 2015, 02:24:19 pm »
* Oaky starts to think about an overnighter MEMWNS-roolz-compliant DIY (i.e. fully nocturnal - early evening until dawn, Essex-based, with a genuine pub stop).

After giving this much thought (I'm a deep thinker) I think Oaky has it. 7:30pm on Wednesday evening until 5am Thursday morning (when street lights get switched back on). And you have to have at least one drink in an Essex pub with at least one other yacf member.

Anything else is cheating and showing off  ;D

« Reply #6822 on: 23 May, 2015, 02:27:29 pm »
7:30pm on Wednesday evening until 5am Thursday morning (when street lights get switched back on). And you have to have at least one drink in an Essex pub with at least one other yacf member.

Anything else is cheating and showing off  ;D
:hand:
Or you live further away than others and have to leave earlier to get to $pub.  :P

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6823 on: 23 May, 2015, 02:30:16 pm »
You should move to mid-Essex!  Simples.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #6824 on: 26 May, 2015, 12:42:42 am »
Now for something less controversial (a MEMWNS including DTDO will always be acceptable for me, therefore Tippers has it (for now) anyway) this week's destination will be a revisit to The Compasses @ Great Totham by general consensus of me and tedshred as decided on The Flatlands.  It's local for a convenient journey home (except for those it isn't) any number of Kms can be built in before getting there, on both flat and climbing, and the landlord will be very happy to see us.