Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1749608 times)

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series (plus random E Anglian stuff)
« Reply #7175 on: 01 July, 2015, 02:37:35 pm »
I can see now how you are award winning at work and MEMWNS.  I bet you took an apple in to school every day as well for teacher  :sick:
You know, if DL in his incumbentness awards the MEMWNS_OTY to Ted at the Epiphany camping weekend there'll be questions in the House  :demon:
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
« Reply #7176 on: 01 July, 2015, 02:39:41 pm »
Why, did you grass me up to them as well ?

I can see now how you are award winning at work and MEMWNS.  I bet you took an apple in to school every day as well for teacher  :sick:

I may of sent a little email to their customer service team  ;)

Yes talking of that MEMWNS trophy I hold the power as the current holder and get to choose the next recipient and I had you nailed on as a potential favourite but I'm swaying towards Tippers or Andy now......  :-*

On a seperate note to all you serious audaxers do you happen to carry bolt cutters with you in the bag of wonders? Ted's route has us going through this gate on the way home which is not only a COR private road but is also chained up! https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Braxted+Park+Estate/@51.8059373,0.6892484,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x139c5a49ddd66433 drag streetview onto the road next to the lake and take a look....
You just can't get the route planners these days, no TMNH either OD on any of Ted's routes :facepalm: it's alomost like he has a aversion to it!!

The Retiree

« Reply #7177 on: 01 July, 2015, 02:46:15 pm »
You know, if DL in his incumbentness awards the MEMWNS_OTY to Ted at the Epiphany camping weekend there'll be questions in the House  :demon:

I can promise you Huggy it won't happen, I'm rapidly going off him as each week passes......  ;)

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #7178 on: 01 July, 2015, 02:53:12 pm »
On a seperate note to all you serious audaxers do you happen to carry bolt cutters with you in the bag of wonders? Ted's route has us going through this gate on the way home which is not only a COR private road but is also chained up! https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Braxted+Park+Estate/@51.8059373,0.6892484,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x139c5a49ddd66433 drag streetview onto the road next to the lake and take a look....
You just can't get the route planners these days, no TMNH either OD on any of Ted's routes :facepalm: it's alomost like he has a aversion to it!!
I usually carry side cutters but not bolt croppers!  I had noticed some private road routing in Ted's track for AFTER he waves us off back home and have rerouted us down Tiptree Rd towards the Green Man at Braxted.  Can't help thinking that Ted was going to be having a chuckle to himself when he's tucked up in bed tonight thinking of us trying to negotiate locked gates  :-\

I can promise you Huggy it won't happen, I'm rapidly going off him as each week passes......  ;)
:thumbsup:

« Reply #7179 on: 01 July, 2015, 02:57:35 pm »
I'm OK with that one  ;D

The Retiree

« Reply #7180 on: 01 July, 2015, 02:57:45 pm »
I usually carry side cutters but not bolt croppers!  I had noticed some private road routing in Ted's track for AFTER he waves us off back home and have rerouted us down Tiptree Rd towards the Green Man at Braxted.  Can't help thinking that Ted was going to be having a chuckle to himself when he's tucked up in bed tonight thinking of us trying to negotiate locked gates  :-\

I'm glad to see another person checks the route to check for any potential issues! As you mention no surprises it's on the journey home after Ted's had his long mile slog back to the ranch all in the know of what's in store for us hardy souls......

« Reply #7181 on: 01 July, 2015, 03:17:20 pm »
damn your sharp eyed ways DL.

I blame Garmin, there comes a point in every route (usually the bit I'm not doing in fairness) when I just fast forward to the end and let Garmin work out the bit in between.  This explains last week's COR out of Rowhedge and the locked gate this week.

Some jobs should clearly be left to the professionals so I will just have to let you take over the route planning again.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #7182 on: 01 July, 2015, 03:18:15 pm »
I have actually used that track beside Coleman's Reservoir before and it is passable but don't fancy it in the dark around midnight, especially the nettles on the grassy track bit before getting back on to the metalled Little Braxted Lane.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #7183 on: 01 July, 2015, 03:28:10 pm »
I have actually used that track beside Coleman's Reservoir before and it is passable but don't fancy it in the dark around midnight, especially the nettles on the grassy track bit before getting back on to the metalled Little Braxted Lane.

Fred might enjoy a bit of COR.  He certainly has the wheels and tyres for it (I hope).

The Retiree

« Reply #7184 on: 01 July, 2015, 03:37:35 pm »
Fred might enjoy a bit of COR.  He certainly has the wheels and tyres for it (I hope).

I doubt the carbon wheels on the Focus will or the slick tyres for that matter.........  :'( plus we would still need to be able to cut the padlock to open the gates

Oscar's dad

« Reply #7185 on: 01 July, 2015, 03:39:07 pm »
I'll bring my Leatherman Surge.

« Reply #7186 on: 01 July, 2015, 03:47:12 pm »
I could phone the farmer who owns Coleman's Farm and see if he will rig up some floodlights along the track and open the padlock.

On the other hand all of you apart from Inspector Gadget can probably find your way from Braxted to Witham without the use of modern technology.

The Retiree

« Reply #7187 on: 01 July, 2015, 03:50:41 pm »
I could phone the farmer who owns Coleman's Farm and see if he will rig up some floodlights along the track and open the padlock.

On the other hand all of you apart from Inspector Gadget can probably find your way from Braxted to Witham without the use of modern technology.

Yes don't worry Ted thanks to myself and Huggy recce'ing the route Huggy has had the sense to reroute us down a road friendly return  ;D

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #7188 on: 01 July, 2015, 03:56:09 pm »
IIRC it is in fact a bridleway and the gate to the right of the padlocked vehicular entrance is unlocked.  Further down from the street view range it becomes a gravel track leading to overgrown grassy track.  All good COR fun to be had if you can avoid the nettles.
Don't worry about carbon frames - they'll have floated away in the river as we wade back across The Stood leaving the island  ;D

Oscar's dad

« Reply #7189 on: 01 July, 2015, 04:02:06 pm »
Some stats ...

DL - joined on 7th September 2014 and has so far spent 4 days, 14 hours and 56 minutes on yacf  :o  385 posts, mostly winding up ted.

ted - joined 28th March 2014 and managed 6 days, 20 hours and 30 minutes on yacf  :o  Only 181 posts, mostly winding up DL

Admittedly they both are eclipsed by me, I've devoted 84 days, 20 hours and 12 minutes to yacf  :o  I've also managed 8109 posts winding up a whole variety of folks since I joined on 28th March 2008.

The Retiree

« Reply #7190 on: 01 July, 2015, 04:03:46 pm »
IIRC it is in fact a bridleway and the gate to the right of the padlocked vehicular entrance is unlocked.  Further down from the street view range it becomes a gravel track leading to overgrown grassy track.  All good COR fun to be had if you can avoid the nettles.
Don't worry about carbon frames - they'll have floated away in the river as we wade back across The Stood leaving the island  ;D

Thanks Huggy indeed it appears you're right maybe Ted got confused when plotting the route and thought he was out on a 'hunt' with the horses  :facepalm: we can explain the differences to him this evening between bicycles and horses!

The Retiree

« Reply #7191 on: 01 July, 2015, 04:06:31 pm »
Some stats ...

DL - joined on 7th September 2014 and has so far spent 4 days, 14 hours and 56 minutes on yacf  :o  385 posts, mostly winding up ted.

ted - joined 28th March 2014 and managed 6 days, 20 hours and 30 minutes on yacf  :o  Only 181 posts, mostly winding up DL

Admittedly they both are eclipsed by me, I've devoted 84 days, 20 hours and 12 minutes to yacf  :o  I've also managed 8109 posts winding up a whole variety of folks since I joined on 28th March 2008.

I love stats thanks for these OD and of course this proves why you're the Godfather of MEMWNS!!!
Ted's low posting rate may also be down to the hours (or lack of) that he spends in the office at his desk due to these regular half day shifts  ;D

Oscar's dad

« Reply #7192 on: 01 July, 2015, 04:07:45 pm »
By the way, this isn't a fucking challenge!

The Retiree

« Reply #7193 on: 01 July, 2015, 04:11:18 pm »

:o  :o WTF to say I'm devastated is an understatement!! Ted only told me last week that we need to try and eclipse the hard spent hours you have slaved over your keyboard winding people up.........

« Reply #7194 on: 01 July, 2015, 04:26:49 pm »
DL you are 80 days and 7724 (7721 I suppose now) behind !

At your current rate you should overtake OD a week on Tuesday  :o

The Retiree

« Reply #7195 on: 01 July, 2015, 04:31:47 pm »
DL you are 80 days and 7724 (7721 I suppose now) behind !

At your current rate you should overtake DL a week on Tuesday  :o

Oh hi there Ted you're still there we thought your desk had let you know that you had outstayed your welcome for the day and turfed you out and off to OD Towers!

Don't forget the wise words from our esteemed leader......

« Reply #7196 on: 01 July, 2015, 06:43:39 pm »
Will be there at 7:30 tonight at the Witham roundabout. Hot!  :P

Gav

The Retiree

« Reply #7197 on: 02 July, 2015, 08:21:27 am »
A rather large peloton of 8 members departed Spa Rd last night (slightly late due to my light faffage sorry chaps!) consisting of Huggy, Ted, Carlos, Tomsk, myself, Bob, Sir Squirrel Nutkin aka Gavin and the Godfather himself OD astride the lovely shiny looking new steed Fred  :thumbsup:

A well plotted route from Ted soon saw the pace move to moderate as we swept up Tippers on the approach to Kelvedon and powered on with the peloton then splitting with myself, Ted, Bob, Carlos, Tippers and Tomsk heading up the front group and Huggy, Sir Squirrel and OD at the rear, with a firm push it wasn't long before we arrived at TWMYC which was very nice indeed!

A first round of Southwold Bitter was purchased as OD arrived informing us that Sir Squirrel had suffered the dreaded 'bonk' with no dinner consumed prior to setting out and it wasn't long after Huggy arrived with SSN who had managed to stop at a local shop to refuel.
The second round consisted of Adnams Lighthouse as we sat outside in the garden all evening enjoying the warmth another super MEMWNS evening all round  :)  :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #7198 on: 02 July, 2015, 10:32:02 am »
Will be there at 7:30 tonight at the Witham roundabout. Hot!  :P

Gav

Welcome to our little group Nutters, we'd love to see you again  :thumbsup:  Anyhow ...

As Doggers has said so eloquently it was a good night.  The ride highlighted the need for a few minor adjustments but I was pleased nothing fell off Fred on his maiden voyage.  His bar tape is going on today in between dull emails and phone calls.

I missed the left turn for the CORing and found myself at Rivenhall End.  I couldn't be arsed to go under the A12 and along the cycle path so I rode down the dual carriage for half a mile with a bit of grass verge pushing added into the mix.

I should be OK for next Wednesday, can we go to The Compasses as I still haven't seen the tea towel now its hung on the wall by the bogs.  I'd also like to pit Fred against TMNH if that's OK with everyone.

« Reply #7199 on: 02 July, 2015, 10:56:45 am »
Just a small  point of order. The Compasses is more than  10 minutes from my house, we can't  possibly  go there  :smug:

Good  to have you back OD  :thumbsup:  Cancels order for "bring back the Godfather" hats and badges.

Maybe we should aim to be back as a peleton  next  week, fun as it was watching DL, Bobb and Carlos stretch their legs.