Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1749608 times)

Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series (plus random E Anglian stuff)
« Reply #7350 on: 15 July, 2015, 07:45:12 am »
One (or more likely both) of the pubs at heybridge basin.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

« Reply #7351 on: 15 July, 2015, 09:05:04 am »
It's unlikely that I am going to make it tonight folks  :(

Enjoy!

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #7352 on: 15 July, 2015, 11:43:12 pm »
ooh, my Garmin track recorded a speed of 372.1kph on the flat, does that count for a pint from OD!??
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/834492381

Aside from that, another cracking MEMWNS evening out with 7 in the Witham peloton and Tomsk joining us outside The Ship.  The whole range of beer pumps were sampled amongst us - Maldon Gold, Tribute (extra Cornish beer miles, just as well OD wasn't there) and Adnams Broadside.  We decided not to frequent The Jolly Sailor thinking that the range of beers was not going to offer anything different there.
 :)

Tomsk and me discussed plans for some Type 2 fun at the weekend doing a reverse Flatliner 600k ride, think of us and chuckle when you tuck yourself in to bed on Saturday night  ::-)
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #7353 on: 16 July, 2015, 06:08:57 am »
@huggy ... no. You're just being silly.

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
« Reply #7354 on: 16 July, 2015, 09:09:55 am »
ooh, my Garmin track recorded a speed of 372.1kph on the flat, does that count for a pint from OD!??
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/834492381

Aside from that, another cracking MEMWNS evening out with 7 in the Witham peloton and Tomsk joining us outside The Ship.  The whole range of beer pumps were sampled amongst us - Maldon Gold, Tribute (extra Cornish beer miles, just as well OD wasn't there) and Adnams Broadside.  We decided not to frequent The Jolly Sailor thinking that the range of beers was not going to offer anything different there.
 :)

Tomsk and me discussed plans for some Type 2 fun at the weekend doing a reverse Flatliner 600k ride, think of us and chuckle when you tuck yourself in to bed on Saturday night  ::-)

Looks like it's time to pay up OD........  :thumbsup:

Second all that Huggy mentioned above a top evening all told and the last men standing in the pub as last orders were called  ;D

Double kudos to trainmanbri for keeping up with Ted's brisk peloton pace on his Boardman hybrid  :thumbsup:

« Reply #7355 on: 16 July, 2015, 09:46:49 am »
For clarity Trainmanbri was on a Boardman hybrid.  My pace isn't even brisk on my soot bike

The peloton was moving at a moderate pace until DL increased his cadence to 15rpm and left everyone except Carlos behind.

Another top night with the now established summer routine of a reasonable amount of mileage at a moderate pace and some ale by the seaside, what's not to like  :thumbsup:

A special award to Carlos for falling off his bike when he wasn't even on it.

The Retiree

« Reply #7356 on: 16 July, 2015, 09:58:44 am »
For clarity Trainmanbri was on a Boardman hybrid.  My pace isn't even brisk on my soot bike

You may be due a visit to Specsavers as i'm sure I mentioned this in my post  ::-)

The peloton was moving at a moderate pace until DL increased his cadence to 15rpm and left everyone except Carlos behind.

Sorry if i'm mistaken but this coming from the guy who ramped up the pace and didn't bother waiting for me, trainmanbri or Steve before reaching the desired destination  :facepalm:

A special award to Carlos for falling off his bike when he wasn't even on it.

I have to say that was mightily impressive and explains the nature of Carlos having trouble staying afoot his steed  ;D

« Reply #7357 on: 16 July, 2015, 10:10:18 am »
Double kudos to trainmanbri for keeping up with Ted's brisk peloton pace on his Boardman hybrid  :thumbsup:

A properly constructed sentence would add clarity to your ramblings.  ::-)

You and Carlos had a little bit of fun together between Tiptree and Salcott when I don't recall much waiting around.  Once you had established that you could glide past us all without apparently any effort whatsoever you dropped back.

You must be even quicker on your imaginary bike.

« Reply #7358 on: 16 July, 2015, 10:28:27 am »
I think you two need to bring your handbags along next week and fight it out once and for all  ;D

I am planning on a Wally's run on Saturday morning but it is going to be a VERY early start, as in Wally's opens at 6:30 - 7ish and I plan to be there for that. I need to be back for various chores at home.

If anyone is interested in joining the fun let me know. I plan to do a similar outwards route to last time but will come back over Mount Bures (No Swimming Opportunities)

The Retiree

« Reply #7359 on: 16 July, 2015, 10:58:41 am »
I think you two need to bring your handbags along next week and fight it out once and for all  ;D

I don't mind Ted, all told he's not a bad chap it appears we both have well baited hooks and just can't stop getting bites!  ;D

I am planning on a Wally's run on Saturday morning but it is going to be a VERY early start, as in Wally's opens at 6:30 - 7ish and I plan to be there for that. I need to be back for various chores at home.

If anyone is interested in joining the fun let me know. I plan to do a similar outwards route to last time but will come back over Mount Bures (No Swimming Opportunities)

Would love to have joined you again on this one but alas I will have to pass this time  :'(

You and Carlos had a little bit of fun together between Tiptree and Salcott when I don't recall much waiting around.  Once you had established that you could glide past us all without apparently any effort whatsoever you dropped back.

As you are now an experienced TT'er we had no clue that you weren't hanging off our back wheel..... and I felt it only gentlemanly to drop back as trainmanbri struggled with your continued 'moderate pace'

« Reply #7360 on: 16 July, 2015, 11:12:20 am »
Wally's could be a possibility if I don't end up on the Suffolk Lanes.  Finding it hard to get approval for my audaxing as a result of "I promise it will all be over after the Flatlands, whoops I've signed up for a week in France" so an early start for a quick breakfast ride ticks a few boxes. 

No Ager Fen will be a big miss for me though  :facepalm:

« Reply #7361 on: 16 July, 2015, 11:14:05 am »
DL have you seen Tomsk's thread about a September 600 using A&S and a bit of DIY ?

Time to get that Brompton polished...

The Retiree

« Reply #7362 on: 16 July, 2015, 11:15:27 am »
DL have you seen Tomsk's thread about a September 600 using A&S and a bit of DIY ?

Time to get that Brompton polished...

I did indeed thanks Ted, the Brompton's ready but the pass at this time isn't, however it's a work in progress I think they call it  :thumbsup:

« Reply #7363 on: 16 July, 2015, 01:42:57 pm »

Right small change of plan in the interests of adding some mileage for the month, getting used to ripping myself out of a slumber and general Sleep Deprivation practice I've rethought the Wally's run in such a way that I can do all that and still be back for my chores. It does involve being on that bike by about 3am though which I guess means I will be in trouble for kipping on the sofa at some stage later in the day!

I am going to leave Tiptree at 3am and ride to Dunmow where I will pick up the Dick Turpins route through Saffron Walden and over to Wallys, that should come to very close to 100km (Hopefully in not much more than 4 hours) before breakfast.

42km route back through Bures - Whites Colne - the Teys and Feering so aiming to be in the shower at home by 10am at the very latest.

Planned Route

The Retiree

« Reply #7364 on: 16 July, 2015, 02:09:37 pm »
Right small change of plan in the interests of adding some mileage for the month, getting used to ripping myself out of a slumber and general Sleep Deprivation practice I've rethought the Wally's run in such a way that I can do all that and still be back for my chores. It does involve being on that bike by about 3am though which I guess means I will be in trouble for kipping on the sofa at some stage later in the day!

I am going to leave Tiptree at 3am and ride to Dunmow where I will pick up the Dick Turpins route through Saffron Walden and over to Wallys, that should come to very close to 100km (Hopefully in not much more than 4 hours) before breakfast.

42km route back through Bures - Whites Colne - the Teys and Feering so aiming to be in the shower at home by 10am at the very latest.

Planned Route

Oh my word this is looking very appealing now!!! I shall speak to the Home Office this evening and see whether any form of permission can be granted to join you  :thumbsup:

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #7365 on: 17 July, 2015, 09:22:46 am »
^ You couldn't draught Huggy n'me up to The Green Welly at Chatteris, could you? We're leaving at 06:00:- stage one of a reversed Flatliner - it's 60-ish kms there from Dunmow... ;D

Enjoy your ride  :thumbsup:

« Reply #7366 on: 17 July, 2015, 10:34:12 am »
if I didn't have to be back I would have been up for that but I won't make it back in time for my duties in the real world.... :'(

The Retiree

« Reply #7367 on: 17 July, 2015, 03:22:43 pm »
New MEMWNS only bike for Ted....... (would save the need of incorporating a pub*)

*he may struggle to ascend TMNH more than usual though  :-\

Oscar's dad

« Reply #7368 on: 17 July, 2015, 03:30:01 pm »
New MEMWNS only bike for Ted....... (would save the need of incorporating a pub*)

*he may struggle to ascend TMNH more than usual though  :-\

I bet that's still lighter than Fred  ;D

The Retiree

« Reply #7369 on: 17 July, 2015, 03:33:27 pm »
I bet that's still lighter than Fred  ;D

May depend upon how full or empty those kegs are.......  ;D

Oscar's dad

« Reply #7370 on: 17 July, 2015, 03:44:04 pm »
If those barrels are casks containing "proper" kitten friendly beer it's going to be well churned up and horribly cloudy.

The Retiree

« Reply #7371 on: 17 July, 2015, 03:52:57 pm »
If those barrels are casks containing "proper" kitten friendly beer it's going to be well churned up and horribly cloudy.

Hmmmmm too true Ted would probably need to set off earlier than the rest of us (he normally does half days so shouldn't be a problem) and park up to allow the beer to settle nicely before the rest of the peloton arrive  :thumbsup:

« Reply #7372 on: 17 July, 2015, 06:03:18 pm »
I could sit on the bar to offer some drafting type effects. I'm sure an extra 100 and a bit kg would bake bugger all difference.

« Reply #7373 on: 17 July, 2015, 06:41:47 pm »
I'll even take DL on a tag a long, which should be the perfect size for him. What's an extra 35kg ?

So, tomorrow we are all going awheel but in different directions, formats etc.

Carlos and I are doing the Suffolk Lanes.  At least we are starting together anyway before he blasts off. 

Good luck to Tomsk and Huggy on their ride.  They say that if you can't work out who the mad one is in a group it's probably you.  At least that's not going to be a worry for the rest of us any more  :thumbsup:

That just leaves Tippers' wild ride to Wally's while he practices sleep deprivation. 

Oscar's dad

« Reply #7374 on: 17 July, 2015, 07:37:36 pm »
And me, Oaky, WAGs plus a selection of younger people are riding to The Compasses via The Owl Tearooms. It'll be hell but I'm determined to be brave.