Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1749899 times)

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series (plus random E Anglian stuff)
« Reply #8150 on: 13 November, 2015, 03:17:18 pm »
I might be tempted.

Looking at the forecast for Sunday, heavy rain might be the lesser of two evils.

Will there be elevenses ?

Sunday?  I'm talking about tomorrow.

Looks like just a token gesture OD  ::-) any excuse to prevent climbing TMNH on his fixie  :facepalm:

« Reply #8151 on: 13 November, 2015, 03:31:52 pm »
Elevenses.....do you fella know anywhere that is not a pub on these routes?

Papermill Lock?

« Reply #8152 on: 13 November, 2015, 03:33:19 pm »

I am aware that you are talking about Saturday.  This is Ted here not DL, you don't have to write in crayon.

The forecast for tomorrow is for heavy rain.  The forecast for Sunday is dry with average winds of 45mph gusting to a lot more. I am picking rain.

Talking of which, when I arrived home drenched from my commute last Thursday, Mrs Shred turned round to me and, in her usual direct way, asked "do you have fucking dementia ?"
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

The Retiree

« Reply #8153 on: 13 November, 2015, 03:36:30 pm »

I am aware that you are talking about Saturday.  This is Ted here not DL, you don't have to write in crayon.

The forecast for tomorrow is for heavy rain.  The forecast for Sunday is dry with average winds of 45mph gusting to a lot more. I am picking rain.

Talking of which, when I arrived home drenched from my commute last Thursday, Mrs Shred turned round to me and, in her usual direct way, asked "do you have fucking dementia ?"

To which did you reply 'yes dear!' just a quick note remember to tell the CP shuttle chauffeur to close the sunroof when it's raining it will help keep you dry!  :-*

With Fred in full flow I would imagine Elevenses will be taken back at our own residences this isn't the VC Oysters you know  :facepalm:

« Reply #8154 on: 13 November, 2015, 03:52:50 pm »
With Fred in full flow OD should be able to produce a full hamper and brew up some tea.

It's a weekend group ride.  Weekend group rides have elevenses.  I don't even like elevenses, it's just the law.

The Retiree

« Reply #8155 on: 13 November, 2015, 03:56:25 pm »
With Fred in full flow OD should be able to produce a full hamper and brew up some tea.

It's a weekend group ride.  Weekend group rides have elevenses.  I don't even like elevenses, it's just the law.

I would imagine he will throw up the gazebo too!

Which rule is that then as I have never seen this in 'the rules'? Certainly whenever myself and The Hustler have partaken in a weekend jaunt we have never stopped for elevenses as we have always been back indoors by then.......

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #8156 on: 13 November, 2015, 03:58:03 pm »
Well I shall be out in the rain tomorrow - supposedly on a Flitch Bikes ride...we'll see who turns up. Elevenses will be taken - might be in Chelmsford, or at the Blue Egg - we'll take a vote...

Forward planning for next Wednesday: I suggest a ride out my way, but rather than end up at a pub the far side of Dunmow... [unless the peloton is very disciplined and leaves for home early  :demon:] - how about an intermediate pub stop somewhere new [the 'George' at Shalford?, then getting to the Compasses for last orders?

I have a nice little route north of the A120 that has some B roads or similar for a bit of fast chaingang action, with a few tiny lanes and a ride-able ford for variety.

The Retiree

« Reply #8157 on: 13 November, 2015, 04:01:57 pm »
^^^ It's a yes from me Tomsk  :thumbsup:

« Reply #8158 on: 13 November, 2015, 04:04:21 pm »
Right then, if we're getting into forward planning...

Are we sending a mid-Essex delegation to the BCM ?

Tomsk probably gets an honorary place on every event in the world but the rest of us need to get on with entering.

In my usual spirit of entering things that I have no actual ability to complete and hoping that I can find that ability in the meantime, I am in  :facepalm:

Anyone else ?

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #8159 on: 13 November, 2015, 04:07:02 pm »
Yes we should all enter the BCM RIGHT NOW!  :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #8160 on: 13 November, 2015, 04:09:18 pm »

Tomsk probably gets an honorary place on every event in the world but the rest of us need to get on with entering.

In my usual spirit of entering things that I have no actual ability to complete and hoping that I can find that ability in the meantime, I am in  :facepalm:

Anyone else ?

Errr no.

However, to simply fings tomorrow morning at 0830 hours you will find me and Fred waiting at the Spa Road roundabout in the rain.  If you fancy joining just show up.  Not sure about elevenses, lets see how we get on.

The Retiree

« Reply #8161 on: 13 November, 2015, 04:09:36 pm »

You managed the PBP just fine I'm sure the BCM should present no problems. I am very tempted as it will provide good training for the Wiggle Gran Fondo Dragon ride I have signed up for! I will start working on the permission slip this evening.

I believe Tippers was intending to ride this again

The Retiree

« Reply #8162 on: 13 November, 2015, 04:10:53 pm »

However, to simply fings tomorrow morning at 0830 hours you will find me and Fred waiting at the Spa Road roundabout in the rain.  If you fancy joining just show up.  Not sure about elevenses, lets see how we get on.

Sounds good to me OD, however due to time constraints I shan't be able to join you for elevenses if they are taken sorry

« Reply #8163 on: 13 November, 2015, 04:26:13 pm »

Anyone else ?

Yes, it is my intention to ride the BCM again in May. I have the entry form printed off and will likely send it by the end of this weekend. I don't think it will be as much of a rush for it as last year. I think they had just north of 200 people riding last year.....hopefully they don't close the Barmouth bridge before this years event!

The Chapman would be great for an Essex Contingent ride. Especially as the 200km loop from Dolgellau means that if we get split up we could all regroup for the 200km (which is actually more like 250km) back to Chepstow on Sunday.

DL, I think if you ride the Chapman the Dragon won't be much of an issue.

While we are on the subject of Audaxes.....what about the Santa Special.....who is in?

« Reply #8164 on: 13 November, 2015, 04:31:55 pm »
I am aiming to do the Santa Special.

Will send off my BCM this weekend and a few other rides.

« Reply #8165 on: 13 November, 2015, 07:50:27 pm »

Do Tell

Oscar's dad

« Reply #8166 on: 13 November, 2015, 08:33:54 pm »
Have I mentioned bivvy night this time next week?

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #8167 on: 13 November, 2015, 08:48:25 pm »

Are you participating or is it just an idea?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #8168 on: 13 November, 2015, 09:05:57 pm »

Participating. Sleep for a few hours in a posh bin bag with men you met on the internet. What's not to like?

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #8169 on: 13 November, 2015, 09:13:59 pm »

Participating. Sleep for a few hours in a posh bin bag with men you met on the internet. What's not to like?

Hmmmmmmm........................Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.......................Wellllllll.....................I might unfortunately and unavoidably be detained elsewhere I'm afraid but have fun!

« Reply #8170 on: 13 November, 2015, 09:25:46 pm »

Do Tell

Nothing spectacular but if I don't start entering then I will find reasons not to do things.  Probably;

Santa, Brazier, Horsepower, Copdock, G&Y,  ECCA, BCM.  Then a mix of helping and riding on A&S, Rivers & Reservoirs, Hereward, Tomsk's new 400 and maybe Flatlands and/or OD's stalking and climbing tour.

Just in case I wasn't going to struggle like I did on Horsepower and G&Y like I did first time round I am aiming to try for fixed with possible fixed SR to follow (not including BCM I hasten to add).  Cycling's easy when you're sitting on a sofa with a beer in your hand so all of the above is subject to reality checks.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #8171 on: 13 November, 2015, 09:35:11 pm »

Hmmmmmmm........................Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.......................Wellllllll.....................I might unfortunately and unavoidably be detained elsewhere I'm afraid but have fun!

You're washing your hair right?

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #8172 on: 13 November, 2015, 09:47:31 pm »

Sounds good to me OD, however due to time constraints I shan't be able to join you for elevenses if they are taken sorry

I'm aiming to join tomorrow as well, although I'm going to skip the COR.

I'll head out from here and loop round, riding the reverse of the start of your route, aiming to pick you guys up somewhere close to your second visit to Spa Roundabout (I'm assuming that'll be somewhere close to 9 or just before, if you're doing the 6-mile loop including the COR).

Don't wait for me anywhere, though - there's always a chance I'll bail and decide bed is a better option -  I'll SMS you if I'm not out ;)  SMS me if your plans/start time etc. change.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oscar's dad

« Reply #8173 on: 13 November, 2015, 09:51:00 pm »
Ok chap.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #8174 on: 13 November, 2015, 10:04:57 pm »

You're washing your hair right?

I wish, might give my bonce a polish though.

I've just entered the Santa Special.