Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1750019 times)

Re: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #11700 on: 29 January, 2018, 07:21:14 pm »
A quick Google as to where the The Queens Head / Orange Tree are located, and I was most impressed that they are both in Sawbridgeworth. Unfortunately, further down the search results both were mentioned in the vicinity of Chelmsford too, so I expect my luck is not quite in.

I’m happy with those, Boreham, Terling or anywhere like that. Any further and I may struggle as I will be in London in the afternoon, but I’ll still try to get along.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #11701 on: 29 January, 2018, 09:10:50 pm »
Oh deary me, the old East/West split rears its head - a not unknown problem for winter low[ish] mileage jaunts. I'd vote for a central pub with a bit more character and atmosphere than the Monkey or Six Bells: Walnut Tree, Broads Green or the Three Elms Chignal St James [provided it isn't 'music' night]...

There's a precedent for an East and a West venue...

« Reply #11702 on: 29 January, 2018, 09:59:14 pm »
Oh deary me, the old East/West split rears its head - a not unknown problem for winter low[ish] mileage jaunts. I'd vote for a central pub with a bit more character and atmosphere than the Monkey or Six Bells: Walnut Tree, Broads Green or the Three Elms Chignal St James [provided it isn't 'music' night]...

There's a precedent for an East and a West venue...
Just me for East then

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #11703 on: 30 January, 2018, 05:55:27 am »
We haven’t been to the Walnut Tree in Broads Green for years.

« Reply #11704 on: 30 January, 2018, 07:42:02 am »

Looks interesting. I've not been there, but found the following description snippets:

Handsome Victorian brick-built pub overlooking the village green ...  To the left is the wood-panelled public bar, little changed since it was built in 1888 ... There is no food offering, the landlord preferring to concentrate on his beers and in maintaining a more traditional atmosphere ... Primarily a conversation pub, traditional pub games and an antique piano offer alternative entertainment ... An outside Gents, which is still in use, adds to the pubs authenticity.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #11705 on: 30 January, 2018, 08:05:49 am »

Looks interesting. I've not been there, but found the following description snippets:

Handsome Victorian brick-built pub overlooking the village green ...  To the left is the wood-panelled public bar, little changed since it was built in 1888 ... There is no food offering, the landlord preferring to concentrate on his beers and in maintaining a more traditional atmosphere ... Primarily a conversation pub, traditional pub games and an antique piano offer alternative entertainment ... An outside Gents, which is still in use, adds to the pubs authenticity.

The Walnut Tree marked the beginning of huggy's introduction to cycling in Mid-Essex, we're talking about THAT EVENING   :o

Those were the days when you could sit round a pub table wiv your mates and there wasn't a single mention of AUK points as the only person who knew about them was Tomsk.  Instead we talked about beer and bar snacks and stuff.  We did occasionally plan an audacious endeavor and sometimes these endeavors involved getting some miles in but they also involved beer, bar snacks and sitting round pub tables with your mates.  Innocent pleasures, simpler times  ;D

« Reply #11706 on: 30 January, 2018, 08:53:51 am »
It looks like I am tide bound tomorrow evening  :'(

Oscar's dad

« Reply #11707 on: 30 January, 2018, 09:00:59 am »

Can't you arrange for the chap who took the pregnant lady across on his lowloader to be on standby?

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #11708 on: 30 January, 2018, 09:50:25 am »

Can't you arrange for the chap who took the pregnant lady across on his lowloader to be on standby?

You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #11709 on: 30 January, 2018, 11:30:30 am »

I don't think he was local unfortunately but I will ask.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #11710 on: 30 January, 2018, 11:37:56 am »

I don't think he was local unfortunately but I will ask.

Good plan. I reckon you’re about 32 weeks which adds credibility to your request.

« Reply #11711 on: 30 January, 2018, 12:18:18 pm »
ouch  :o

Oscar's dad

« Reply #11712 on: 30 January, 2018, 01:03:16 pm »
ouch  :o

Currently I’m about 25 weeks with moobs to match.  I’m suing the NCT as they won’t let me join - discrimination!  >:(  ;D

« Reply #11713 on: 30 January, 2018, 01:05:31 pm »
I presume we are settled on the Walnut Tree in Broads Green then? Looks like an interesting place, and I'm sure Huggy can enlighten us on his memories  :)

It'll also give OD a chance to avoid boredom and cycle home, and for the peleton to avoid North Hill, if they so choose.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #11714 on: 30 January, 2018, 02:07:08 pm »
If we are finally settled on the Walnut Tree @ Broads Green I offer this Witham+Little Baddow Peloton route. You will notice the inclusion of the Rose & Crown for that authentic reliving experience of THAT night  :demon: (although I'm sure it won't be as warm).

The Generals Arms car park entrance is included for scooping up GS but the classic North Face ascent of TMNH is deferred to the East escarpment, to be inclusive of those who are TMNHphobic.
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #11715 on: 30 January, 2018, 05:58:22 pm »
Glad my suggestion meets with approval.  :thumbsup:

I might try for an intercept on the Peloton's run in through from Boreham...

« Reply #11716 on: 30 January, 2018, 11:09:42 pm »
If we are finally settled on the Walnut Tree @ Broads Green I offer this Witham+Little Baddow Peloton route. You will notice the inclusion of the Rose & Crown for that authentic reliving experience of THAT night  :demon: (although I'm sure it won't be as warm).

The Generals Arms car park entrance is included for scooping up GS but the classic North Face ascent of TMNH is deferred to the East escarpment, to be inclusive of those who are TMNHphobic.

I no longer have indexed steering so happy to meet at Spa road at 1930 if the Peleton would prefer to miss out TMNH  :thumbsup:
Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #11717 on: 31 January, 2018, 02:07:10 pm »
Right, to introduce as much confusion this week as possible, and trying to keep in mind everyone's routing preferences and interception opportunities, here is a 3rd route offered this week.
Now, will someone make a decision on which of these we will follow:
Avoiding North Hill by Eastern escarpment ascent but still give Tomsk opportunity to intercept somewhere
Passing by the General's Arms via North Hill and shallower ascent than the classic

Oscar's dad

« Reply #11718 on: 31 January, 2018, 02:18:06 pm »
Assuming I make it out this evening I’ll follow you huggy. Is that decisive enough?

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #11719 on: 31 January, 2018, 03:46:59 pm »
Route A, North Hill Avoidance - might find some flooding again on the Blackley Lane underpass...I think we'd meet up somewhere on Evelyn Rd or Blackley Lane if I start around 19:30.

« Reply #11720 on: 31 January, 2018, 06:05:45 pm »
Route A, North Hill Avoidance - might find some flooding again on the Blackley Lane underpass...I think we'd meet up somewhere on Evelyn Rd or Blackley Lane if I start around 19:30.
Is that this one?
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/26792615
as A and C appear to be the same???
Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #11721 on: 31 January, 2018, 06:13:31 pm »
Is that this one?
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/26792615
as A and C appear to be the same???
A & C are the same
We will be following option B

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #11722 on: 31 January, 2018, 07:14:07 pm »
Touch of ice out in the back garden already, be careful...

[Opted for M Winter equipped bike]  :thumbsup:

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #11723 on: 31 January, 2018, 07:21:46 pm »
aiming for a peg millars rendezvous
(or possible before if you are really heading out the direction I think the track says you are)
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #11724 on: 05 February, 2018, 01:33:59 pm »
I've got a meeting in London on Wednesday evening, so I'll not be out this week. I note that the forward planned venue is near Maldon, so that fits in well.