Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1749913 times)

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
Re: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #18425 on: 11 October, 2022, 08:47:18 pm »
I cycled the 2.2km to & from the office today and realised although testing negative since the weekend the respiratory system is still not up to being exercised beyond average heart rate. So, I’m not going to riding longer than a short distance this Wednesday either.
A walk/roll in to Witham is possible, if anyone with a broken limb or other excuse is up for meet up there.
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #18426 on: 11 October, 2022, 09:48:53 pm »
I am happy with the Leather Bottle at Blackmore.  I will be aiming for a fairly early away tomorrow as I have a long day to look forward to on Thursday.

« Reply #18427 on: 11 October, 2022, 10:27:18 pm »
Great stuff and thank you, all - I will see you there :thumbsup:

« Reply #18428 on: 12 October, 2022, 07:48:46 am »
Not out this week due to evening meeting - should be available next week.

Jem

• ACME HR and Diversity officer
« Reply #18429 on: 12 October, 2022, 10:39:42 am »
I cycled the 2.2km to & from the office today and realised although testing negative since the weekend the respiratory system is still not up to being exercised beyond average heart rate. So, I’m not going to riding longer than a short distance this Wednesday either.
A walk/roll in to Witham is possible, if anyone with a broken limb or other excuse is up for meet up there.

I'm up for Witham meet up. Got consultant this afternoon and hopefully may be relieved of cast so will be ready for drink(s) regardless of outcome  ;D

« Reply #18430 on: 12 October, 2022, 02:30:19 pm »
It is the first day of the 'spoons Beer Festival.  From their promotional pdf, it looks quite promising?
https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/~/media/files/pdf-documents/events-2022/autumn-real-ale-festival_news_v11_final_sp.pdf?la=en

Witham Spoons tonight as an Eastern Venue???

Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

« Reply #18431 on: 12 October, 2022, 03:45:56 pm »
I've got a webinar followed by a family visit this evening.

Next Wednesday is a work night out.

But, I have happened upon a 527 year old pub in Little Hadham that is worth a visit by the far western contingent at some point.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #18432 on: 12 October, 2022, 04:25:10 pm »
It is the first day of the 'spoons Beer Festival.  From their promotional pdf, it looks quite promising?
https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/~/media/files/pdf-documents/events-2022/autumn-real-ale-festival_news_v11_final_sp.pdf?la=en

I was going to suggest the 'spoons festival...

I'm still 50/50 on the knee at the moment, I do fancy the blacksheep oppertunity on at the festival, might entice Cpt slow to provide team car as a potential option with fine dining at the 'spoons....
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #18433 on: 12 October, 2022, 05:29:54 pm »
But, I have happened upon a 527 year old pub in Little Hadham that is worth a visit by the far western contingent at some point.

Talking of potential venues for the far western mob, has anyone tried the Prince of Wales at Green Tye since it reopened?  It looks very smart from the outside now but I haven’t had a chance to try the beer.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #18434 on: 12 October, 2022, 05:31:59 pm »

I was going to suggest the 'spoons festival...

I'm still 50/50 on the knee at the moment, I do fancy the blacksheep oppertunity on at the festival, might entice Cpt slow to provide team car as a potential option with fine dining at the 'spoons....
so what time at 'spoons?
we'll be arriving at about 7pm and partaking in the fine dining experience
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Jem

• ACME HR and Diversity officer
« Reply #18435 on: 12 October, 2022, 05:36:19 pm »
See you about 7pm then!

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #18436 on: 12 October, 2022, 05:57:41 pm »
I'm still on a work call  :facepalm:
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #18437 on: 12 October, 2022, 06:01:49 pm »
Western contingent (Nick and Me) are still panning on meeting at the Leather Bottle (Blackmore)
Should be there from about 8am

Owen
Old Enough to know better, young enough not to care.
Facebook, the toilet wall of the modern generation

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #18438 on: 12 October, 2022, 06:05:25 pm »
Rainlegs at the ready! I'll be aiming for the LB Blackmore - Nick: make saddlebag room for your yellow jersey ...

Talking of potential venues for the far western mob, has anyone tried the Prince of Wales at Green Tye since it reopened?  It looks very smart from the outside now but I haven’t had a chance to try the beer.

I've been to the POW at Green Tye many years ago on a CTC Sunday ride - glad to know it's still going. We will have to plan more local venues as winter draws in - and I'm happy to stay westerly. Anything that gets us out and combats CBA syndrome.

Talking of CBA, it has occurred to me that maybe the time is right for a regular weekend ACME club run - that might keep things ticking over through the dark days ahead. Nothing major, just a half-day perhaps? Discuss.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #18439 on: 12 October, 2022, 06:19:14 pm »
Rainlegs at the ready! I'll be aiming for the LB Blackmore - Nick: make saddlebag room for your yellow jersey ...

I've been to the POW at Green Tye many years ago on a CTC Sunday ride - glad to know it's still going. We will have to plan more local venues as winter draws in - and I'm happy to stay westerly. Anything that gets us out and combats CBA syndrome.

Talking of CBA, it has occurred to me that maybe the time is right for a regular weekend ACME club run - that might keep things ticking over through the dark days ahead. Nothing major, just a half-day perhaps? Discuss.

Yep - think I've done POW with CTC a couple of times also.  I'd be up for a weekend ride but not at audax o'clock though :) 
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #18440 on: 12 October, 2022, 07:06:11 pm »
Weekend rides sound good to me. Anything to keep the pedals turning over winter.

Western contingent (Nick and Me) are still panning on meeting at the Leather Bottle (Blackmore)
Should be there from about 8am

That’s a little early for me.  I will aim for PM at least!

« Reply #18441 on: 12 October, 2022, 07:46:28 pm »
I’m riding less Audax through the winter, and would be up for shorter rides to mix things up.

« Reply #18442 on: 18 October, 2022, 11:11:53 am »
Aiming to be out this week. Should we start with a pub; or who's available?

« Reply #18443 on: 18 October, 2022, 11:49:39 am »
I'm at a work do in London this Wednesday.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #18444 on: 18 October, 2022, 12:33:12 pm »
Spoons worked well last week, huge selection and bargain prices... ???
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #18445 on: 18 October, 2022, 03:20:41 pm »
I am out with my brother - have a good one, all!

May see some of you for the pubinar on Sat with Tomsk.

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #18446 on: 18 October, 2022, 03:52:05 pm »

And they stay open beyond 9:00 pm....

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #18447 on: 18 October, 2022, 04:16:39 pm »

And they stay open beyond 9:00 pm....

If you fancy a reccy to see what they have on, if it's changed from last weeks selection that would be a bonus :)

£1.50 a pint is quite hard to beat!

Last week we sampled the following:
Oatmeal Stout by Exmoor Ales
Essex Border by Nethergate Brewery
Boadicea by Evan Evans
Home Harvest Ale '22 by Hogs Back Brewery
Astronomer by Black Sheep
Swordfish by Wadworth

Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #18448 on: 18 October, 2022, 11:27:04 pm »
Options to avoid Spoons could include:

Walnut Tree at Great Waltham(ish)
Square and Compasses at Fuller Street

Any takers?

« Reply #18449 on: 18 October, 2022, 11:46:58 pm »
I would like to keep supporting the places that were good to us over the pandemic.  For EER that is; SH, The Sun, The Swan,  The Alma, The Oddie and The Olde Albion - unless anyone can think of any more ?

Use them or lose them.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways