Author Topic: Giro 2018  (Read 39881 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Giro 2018
« Reply #350 on: 06 June, 2018, 12:08:55 pm »
Going back to the Salbutamol case and its impact:

Comments on the TCP (that I've only just caught up with  :facepalm: ) from quite informed people are making me think that Froome will almost certainly keep his Giro title, but lose the Vuelta (and possibly some additional punishment, such as ban starting at the verdict?) if he is judged guilty of a doping offence.

Which I think is a good thing. (although I'd have preferred Dumoulin to win this race!)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #351 on: 06 June, 2018, 12:10:42 pm »
'Doing a Landis', is exactly what is described. Dropping the other contenders and thereby giving your team a clear space for close, and meticulously planned' support. The chaos in the chasing group means they can't be as well supported.

I've recently formed an opinion on one contributor to this thread, based on their opinion of PBP terrain, derived from riding the first 300km. I'm now questioning the ratio of evidence to prejudice in their posts.

Why don't you go back and read my post.

I said I rode 300k. It's an out and back route. Therefore I saw 50% of it. I made no claims whatsoever about the other 50%.
That 300k was boring. Very boring. Boredom is a state of mind. My mind. Not your mind. I wouldn't know what goes on in your mind and I wouldn't claim that I do.

Think what you want about my posts. Post what you want about them.

« Reply #352 on: 06 June, 2018, 01:31:11 pm »
Going back to the Salbutamol case and its impact:

Comments on the TCP (that I've only just caught up with  :facepalm: ) from quite informed people are making me think that Froome will almost certainly keep his Giro title, but lose the Vuelta (and possibly some additional punishment, such as ban starting at the verdict?) if he is judged guilty of a doping offence.

Which I think is a good thing. (although I'd have preferred Dumoulin to win this race!)

There's no reason to strip him of his Giro title, he's clear to race, which makes backdating any potential ban tricky, especially when you consider backdated bans have only been issued up to now in very particular circumstances, IIRC they are limited to when historic samples have been re-tested with improved methods. Contador's case isn't really comparable due to the way he was banned/acquitted/banned.

What would be really interesting to know is what deal Froome was offered under the acceptance of consequences rules since if he's judged guilty any punishment will have to be more severe than that.

« Reply #353 on: 06 June, 2018, 06:12:23 pm »
I doubt they'll be admitting to the doping  ;)

EDIT:Just read the transcript. They wouldn't dope because it wouldn't make winning fun.

No SDB, maybe not, but it has made you a millionaire  ;)

I too read the transcript and was impressed/disappointed with the absence of any real refutal (is that the word I want; still thinking in french!) of doping, just saying that they had people passing up continuous small doses of energy carbs and bottles all the way up the climbs (which made me wonder if that was legal outside designated feeding zones but I suppose it must be otherwise they wouldn't be so ready to brag about their planning - and indeed what's the difference between being handed a bottle by a bloke running or by a bloke driving a car, other than that it is slightly more sporting).
On the whole I don't think that this takes the arguement forward. Froome's mental attitude  still makes me think of Armstrong and Sir DB seems to be accepting that that is the case, no matter what he says. All this piece made me think was "micro-dosing". Sad really.

I quite enjoyed the article. It made for exciting reading thinking about planning and calculations for the attack.

As for the refutation of doping...just makes them look more dodgy, as "Why would we do that" type excuses always look. They do it because it helps them win, and winning has made them rich. They aren't doing it for fun.

« Reply #354 on: 07 June, 2018, 01:46:52 am »

There's no reason to strip him of his Giro title, he's clear to race, which makes backdating any potential ban tricky,

He shouldn't have been competing!. (If the AAF is upheld). I can see no reason why he should keep it.

« Reply #355 on: 12 June, 2018, 10:52:02 pm »

« Reply #356 on: 12 June, 2018, 11:44:46 pm »

Poor Lizzie poor chris

There’s a bit of a glow about Lizzie, don’t you think?

Not sure Froome needs that support though.

« Reply #357 on: 13 June, 2018, 09:04:17 am »
She has a point. Both cases are where the decision is supposed to be confidential until they are resolved, and yet they have been leaked to the media. If they were then cleared of any offence (as Deignan was), then normally the public shouldn't know, and their reputation shouldn't have been tarnished. It's reasonable to ask how many others have had this sort of stuff but it's been kept confidential and so we don't know about it?
I find her bleating about being tested the following day enormously disingenuous though.

« Reply #358 on: 13 June, 2018, 09:17:50 am »
Yes to both points, although it is worth remembering that Contador's dope positive was buried by the UCI, and they would have  been successful had it not leaked.

With regards to being tested the day after missed tests....Yes, all well and good, especially as the drugs could have cleared by then

« Reply #359 on: 14 June, 2018, 12:16:35 am »
"Twenty-plus-year career, 500 drug controls worldwide, in and out of competition. Never a failed test. I rest my case."

« Reply #360 on: 14 June, 2018, 03:39:25 pm »
"Twenty-plus-year career, 500 drug controls worldwide, in and out of competition. Never a failed test. I rest my case."

Who/where is this quote from please ?

« Reply #361 on: 14 June, 2018, 03:44:43 pm »

Who/where is this quote from please ?

Lance / twitter, in response to Tyler.

« Reply #362 on: 16 June, 2018, 06:21:38 pm »
Armstrong did fail a dope test, in his first Tour win, but the UCI colluded with his team to cover it up.

Genosse Brymbo

• Ostalgist
« Reply #363 on: 17 June, 2018, 10:58:43 am »
Armstrong did fail a dope test, in his first Tour win, but the UCI colluded with his team to cover it up.
Hold on.  Are you saying Armstrong's a liar?  ;D
The present is a foreign country: they do things differently here.

« Reply #364 on: 17 June, 2018, 12:09:25 pm »
https://cyclingtips.com/2018/06/casting-a-critical-eye-on-corruption-in-sport-qa-with-anti-doping-expert-robin-parisotto/

An interesting interview with Robin Parisotto, concerning cycling and sport as a whole