Author Topic: Investment in pothole repair announced  (Read 1787 times)

Investment in pothole repair announced
« on: 28 October, 2018, 05:03:50 am »
Here

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46007351

Note comment a few paragraphs in on how it will be funded and how the spending is ring fenced for the first time

Not sure if this will help or hinder the lively debates we have with the motorised “I pay road tax and you don’t” brigade

A

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Investment in pothole repair announced
« Reply #1 on: 28 October, 2018, 12:18:12 pm »
If it actually causes potholes to be repaired, it'll probably help, because cyclists will be able to spend less time In The Way.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2 on: 28 October, 2018, 02:20:12 pm »
It won't have much effect on cyclists because it's Strategic Routes, ie Motorways and certain Primary Routes only. Road tax is only ringfenced to these roads (and not in Scotland, I think), so drivers aren't actually "paying for" most roads.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #3 on: 29 October, 2018, 11:12:59 am »
A good thing hopefully.

I saw some potholes being filled last week. The end result was pretty poor - it looked like a child had done it.

It seems the patching crews around us don't have access to a whacker-plate/roller anymore. Most repairs are tamped down by foot, it seems. Or, at least, that's what it feels like if you try to ride a bicycle over them.

« Reply #4 on: 29 October, 2018, 11:22:34 am »
A good thing hopefully.

I saw some potholes being filled last week. The end result was pretty poor - it looked like a child had done it.

It seems the patching crews around us don't have access to a whacker-plate/roller anymore. Most repairs are tamped down by foot, it seems. Or, at least, that's what it feels like if you try to ride a bicycle over them.

I often wonder how much pride they take in their job. Do they have 'the best pothole repairer' awards? I mean presumably they drive over their handiwork in their own cars after it's been 'fixed'? Or perhaps if they do the job too well they will decide they are putting themselves out of work.
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #5 on: 29 October, 2018, 06:15:23 pm »
I don't reckon the repairs round here are any worse than they used to be.
But there are more motors on the roads so the roads themselves wear out quicker.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #6 on: 29 October, 2018, 11:19:55 pm »
Or perhaps if they do the job too well they will decide they are putting themselves out of work.

Then either they are not being held to account for breaching the contract they have to repair them or the contract specification was written badly or 'you get what you your council tax pays for'

I Said, I've Got A Big Stick