Author Topic: ID-ing a Roberts frame  (Read 2099 times)

diapsaon0

• Advena ego sum in terra
ID-ing a Roberts frame
« on: 11 November, 2019, 12:41:02 pm »
I'm looking at a second-hand bike advertised online.  It's too far away to go and look at it, so I'm relying on the seller's description.  It's advertised as a Chas Roberts frame.  There is a 'CR' badge  on the head tube and a rather wonky-looking (in the pictures) 'Chas Roberts' decal on the on the top tube.  I can't see any other ID and the seller seems somewhat reticent about providing more pictures.  Chainset is Tiagra - I would have expected better on a Roberts frame.  Don't know about the other components.

Did Chas emboss his name or initials into all his frames or is there any other way of positively proving that it is genuine?

It's not expensive so I don't want to walk away from what could be a bargain, but I'm a bit suspicious.

Many thanks.
Advena ego sum in Terra

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
Re: ID-ing a Roberts frame
« Reply #1 on: 11 November, 2019, 01:07:21 pm »
Not sure this helps Diaspo but, both my two Roberts frames have a nine-figure code underneath the bottom bracket – left-hand side. You could always ask what code is on there?
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #2 on: 11 November, 2019, 01:22:20 pm »
the seller seems somewhat reticent about providing more pictures. 
That alone would make me suspicious.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #3 on: 11 November, 2019, 01:56:12 pm »
I will go and look at my Roberts downstairs at my next tea break and see what I can suggest! I think Tom B from LCC has lots of info about all things Roberts, I will try to find a link

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #4 on: 11 November, 2019, 02:37:01 pm »
OK - just checked my touring bike which is a 2006 vintage and other points you might like to look for are "ROBERTS" stamped on the bottom bracket shell both sides, also on the top of the seat stays. I don't know how universal they are but am sure other owners will confirm or otherwise. If you pm me contact details I can send you pictures as I can't be bothered to upload anything here.

My frame number is underneath the bottom bracket and is 6 digits - 2 for year, 2 for month and 2 for sequence of bike in the month.  Our tandem is newer but still the same format for the number.

If it has original Roberts forks the number will probably also be on the steerer tube (based on two out of a sample of two) but I appreciate that isn't readily accessible as a potential buyer.

In 2006, in terms of "decals" you could choose how many or how few (aside from the head tube badge) and the colour etc because they were painted on, so mine is pretty minimalist with it just on the down tube, but others have more. The font was changed later so our tandem is different.  Again can send photos of both.

Re the components, essentially you could choose what you wanted, also depending on the age it could have been replaced so not sure that it is a very good guide.

Check out this page www.robertscycles.com/ and the linked page lcc.org.uk//articles/roberts-cycles.  Note if you can get the frame number it may be possible to get more information.

Hope this helps

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #5 on: 11 November, 2019, 03:12:07 pm »
OK - just checked my touring bike which is a 2006 vintage and other points you might like to look for are "ROBERTS" stamped on the bottom bracket shell both sides, also on the top of the seat stays. I don't know how universal they are but am sure other owners will confirm or otherwise. If you pm me contact details I can send you pictures as I can't be bothered to upload anything here.

Mine's a much older frame (early 90s) and it also has "ROBERTS" at the top of each seat stay. Can't remember if it's also stamped on the BB shell.

I would imagine the frame would also have a tubing brand decal (eg Reynolds or Columbus).
Pen Pusher

« Reply #6 on: 11 November, 2019, 03:46:55 pm »
My Roberts has the same six digit frame number format as described by bhoot above.  It does not have 'Roberts' stamped on the BB shell or at the top of the seat stays.

My friend has a Roberts which does have the 'Roberts' stamping and the same format frame number.

As for kit:  You can pretty much spec what you like plus things get swapped over time.

« Reply #7 on: 11 November, 2019, 03:48:53 pm »
Chas usually placed transfers or badges on the down tube, seat tube and head tube.  Clearly you could spec whatever you wanted though so transfers or badges are not really indicative.

diapsaon0

« Reply #8 on: 12 November, 2019, 08:21:33 am »
Many thanks.  It seems that there are no stampings anywhere on the frame and the vendor seems unwilling to give me a frame number or any more information.  I've decided against it and let him know.

As it happens I visited SJSC (my LBS) yesterday afternoon and test rode a Nomad  in the right size - very small.  I liked it and am going to pick it up tomorrow.  Keeping the Brompton too!

Thanks again for all your help.

N
Advena ego sum in Terra

rob

« Reply #9 on: 12 November, 2019, 08:57:13 am »
I think you may have already decided but Geoff Roberts (son of Chas and main framebuilder) is in my club.   I suspect I'll see him at the club lunch in a couple of weeks.

diapsaon0

« Reply #10 on: 12 November, 2019, 04:26:06 pm »
Thanks, you're right, I've passed on it and bought a Thorn Nomad instead.  It seems suspicious on several fronts - not least, the price.
Advena ego sum in Terra