Author Topic: Saw someone getting a telling-off tonight  (Read 23413 times)

Re: Saw someone getting a telling-off tonight
« Reply #100 on: 03 March, 2010, 08:20:17 am »
I think what jwo is gently pointing out to you is that the higher the monkey climbs the tree, the more it shows it's arse
 ;D ;D ;D

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #101 on: 03 March, 2010, 05:10:34 pm »
Either I'm not as fast as you or my ears are slightly differently set on my head but, although I get some wind noise, it's never enough to totally block out my hearing.  I can still hear things like cars over it.

I have just been for a ride & used a magic hat for the first time in a long time.The wind noise generated by the helmet was so high that I didn't hear any of the vehicles which overtook me as they approached from behind,including HGV's.

« Reply #102 on: 18 March, 2010, 01:36:11 pm »
I've thought about this a couple of times - I really didn't expect him to get a fright and would have preferred to avoid that.  Perhaps all I'd do differently in future is wait before saying anything until we were past the parked car across the junction so that we'd be in a better and safer location.  I'm not quite sure how I'd have avoided giving him a fright though.  Maybe a bit of card and a clothes peg on a seatstay?   ;D

Oh, and I think that's tosh about my being "too close" to him, that's normal space that cyclists commonly give each other.  Just take a look at this, and many other commuting videos on youtube:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/tGpgE-a_sfE&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/tGpgE-a_sfE&rel=1</a>
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #103 on: 18 March, 2010, 01:48:53 pm »
It's normal for cars to overtake cyclists too close, but posting a YouTube video of it doesn't make it ok.

It would seem that Wendy thinks the 'Give Cyclists Room' campaign applies to everyone, except him.  ::-)

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #104 on: 18 March, 2010, 02:01:21 pm »
I slapped the roof of a car that squeezed past me on the commute this morning, whilst I was overtaking another cyclist and there was a parked car on the other side fo the residential road....

...and it made her drop her mobile phone... >:(

I can't understand why she was upset - but she'll have the chance to explain her annoyance to the police as I've reported her.  :demon:
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #105 on: 18 March, 2010, 02:18:15 pm »
It would seem that Wendy thinks the 'Give Cyclists Room' campaign applies to everyone, except him.  ::-)

Flatus, stop being controversial for once.  I gave him plenty of room, as much room as many others on here would be happy with, and as much room as we've often given each other in real life. (Well, out of those I've ridden with).

LOL @ Reg's post, nice one!

« Reply #106 on: 18 March, 2010, 02:19:45 pm »
p.s. I was gonna say stop being a vvankhead, but then I realised you did that already.   ;D

« Reply #107 on: 18 March, 2010, 04:48:54 pm »
Controversial?

Hardly. Just pointing out thoughtless and inconsiderate behaviour by a road user, in the hope that they might improve their road use skills.

I thought you approved of that kind of thing?

« Reply #108 on: 18 March, 2010, 05:41:03 pm »
No, you are being controversial - you're deliberately and misleadingly suggesting that was too close, when it wasn't by any standards.  That's quite unlike what the blue rider himself did, which is jump a number of red lights (not shown on the video), not look behind himself, and undertake a left turning car.  It's pretty obvious I gave him far more room than he himself wanted and needed - just watch how close he goes to the left turning car.

« Reply #109 on: 18 March, 2010, 06:59:44 pm »
It's normal for cars to overtake cyclists too close, but posting a YouTube video of it doesn't make it ok.

How much room did Wendy give him?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #110 on: 18 March, 2010, 07:04:54 pm »
How much room did Wendy give him?

Oh, I thought Wendy and Flatus had got a room?  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

Jakob

« Reply #111 on: 18 March, 2010, 07:16:22 pm »
Wendy, riding and driving are very different experiences and what is relevant for one is not necessarily for the other.

Oh come on, how can you justify drivers not hearing and insist that cyclists should rely on their hearing with this?  At least be a little more rigorous and specific.  Perhaps you're really saying that it's OK for drivers not to hear and thus to crash into stuff because they are protected in a metal cage?

Because cyclist are the slower , harder to see and  squishier of the two and need to be more alert/defensive?

And who cares what CTUK (whatever that is) teaches. Leave the dogma behind and use a bit of common sense.

« Reply #112 on: 18 March, 2010, 07:45:14 pm »
Not Wendy's forte, I'm afraid  :-\

« Reply #113 on: 18 March, 2010, 07:51:58 pm »
Actually, I have some different footage of me passing another cyclist too closely some years ago.  I didn't realise at the time, but some criticism on that one made me change the way I pass people.

@Jakob, there's no dogma, only common sense.  If you're not looking, then you don't know what's going on.  If it had been you or me in the cyclist gets a fright video, we'd be mortified at not having looked behind and being unintentionally surprised like that.  The dogma (and nonsense) comes when people insist how important hearing is when cycling.

« Reply #114 on: 18 March, 2010, 08:02:58 pm »
Thing is, though, Wendy, it isn't like you are an experienced cyclist, is it.

If you ever rode anything other than your London commute you'd see things differently. You really should stop pontificating about how cyclists should ride, when it is based on your own rather unvaried and insubstantial experience. 

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #115 on: 18 March, 2010, 08:06:26 pm »
Oh, you two stop it.  You sound like an old married couple.   ::-)

;D
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #116 on: 18 March, 2010, 08:12:07 pm »
He's on the ropes, Reg. He's on the ropes...

Curious that he's ressurected a thread that died a fortnight ago.

Zoidburg

« Reply #117 on: 18 March, 2010, 08:15:14 pm »
Just to improve matters.

I think recumbents are a piss poor choice for commuting in rush hour traffic.

:thumbsup:

« Reply #118 on: 18 March, 2010, 08:35:40 pm »
The thing is Flatus, if you keep on a windup all the time, then people will never take you seriously.  A bit like when you were spouting all that bawlicks about hiviz and helmets.  :D

So, yes, I'm responding to you here because others might take you seriously.  OTOH I'm fully aware that you're not being even slightly realistic, and never were on this topic nor most of the time you post.

« Reply #119 on: 18 March, 2010, 08:37:50 pm »
Windup?

I don't see much (any?) support for you on this thread.  Keep digging, if you must, but your diversionary tactics are failing.

Others taking you seriously now know that your 'advice' and opinions are based on feck all experience.

« Reply #120 on: 18 March, 2010, 08:47:30 pm »
You mean a real rider like teethgrinder, not some poser like you?  ;)

« Reply #121 on: 18 March, 2010, 09:06:32 pm »
Poser?

Care to repost that photo of you skating past the Albert Monument?   ;)

Jakob

« Reply #122 on: 18 March, 2010, 09:11:26 pm »
Actually, I have some different footage of me passing another cyclist too closely some years ago.  I didn't realise at the time, but some criticism on that one made me change the way I pass people.

@Jakob, there's no dogma, only common sense.  If you're not looking, then you don't know what's going on.  If it had been you or me in the cyclist gets a fright video, we'd be mortified at not having looked behind and being unintentionally surprised like that.  The dogma (and nonsense) comes when people insist how important hearing is when cycling.

So, you hear a car revving up behind you and take a look behind. Without that audio cue, would you check behind you?.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #123 on: 18 March, 2010, 09:14:47 pm »

Curious that he's ressurected a thread that died a fortnight ago.
My threads never die, they just stop for a bit of a sit-down.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Jakob

« Reply #124 on: 18 March, 2010, 09:20:58 pm »
I have the impression, perhaps wrongly, that this sort of lack of awareness is all too common amongst cyclists who believe hearing is essential:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/eDf_10PLAn0&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/eDf_10PLAn0&rel=1</a>

I would have been too embarrassed to put that one up. You almost got that guy badly hurt!.