Author Topic: Garmin Fenix thermometer  (Read 2538 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
Garmin Fenix thermometer
« on: 22 July, 2020, 09:08:09 pm »
It’s rubbish.

I wear my watch on the inside of my wrist, always have done. I’d noticed that the reported temp was always around 30’ C which I thought was odd. I then noticed while out on a run that in holding my arms the way I did I was effectively sandwiching my watch between my wrist and my chest. Aha, cause discovered. So I’ve done two or three runs with my watch on the outside of my wrist (it feels very odd) and the temperatures it’s now reporting are lower. It still takes it a long time to fall while,I’m out on a run, and I believe it’s still reading high. Like I say, rubbish.

It’s just as well it’s not an important metric 🤓
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
Re: Garmin Fenix thermometer
« Reply #1 on: 22 July, 2020, 09:21:51 pm »
Any watch is going to be affected by the temperature of your wrist. Also will be affected by the processors etc inside the watch.

If you want to record temperature accurately, get a separate sensor. eg a Garmin Tempe. Then clip that onto your shoe or bag etc.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #2 on: 22 July, 2020, 10:21:52 pm »
Yes, same with my Sunnto Spartan.

Not sure what the point of these temperature measurements are.
It's not the outside ambient temperature; it's not your body temperature; it's just some random mid-way temperature between your wrist and the outside world, with whatever insulation might be there.
Useless.

« Reply #3 on: 22 July, 2020, 11:34:19 pm »
Not sure what the point of these temperature measurements are.
It's not the outside ambient temperature; it's not your body temperature;
It's the temperature of the innards of the watch.
It will be necessary for temperature compensation of the sensors inside, and it's a freebie marketing point to make its readings available.

If you want ambient with any accuracy at all, use a Tempe, like fuaran said, and put it somewhere that's in the airflow and out of the sun. On a bike, under the back of the saddle is probably best. Running is more difficult - I expect the underside of a long cap peak would quickly get irritating.

« Reply #4 on: 23 July, 2020, 03:25:53 pm »
The watch's thermometer is accurate when swimming though.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

simonp

« Reply #5 on: 23 July, 2020, 04:32:14 pm »
My Garmin Edge 1030 seems to read significantly low.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #6 on: 23 July, 2020, 04:42:49 pm »
Agree - I would suggest 4 - 5C low based on my experience.  I don't have the temperature displayed, but when I look at post-ride statistics, either I have developed the cold resistance of a Newcastle United fan, or the Garmin reads low.  The suspicious lack of ice/frost/snow when it says it is -1C makes me lean towards the latter.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #7 on: 17 February, 2021, 04:55:10 pm »
I was of the opinion that it is supposed to be measuring air temperature but in reality it is measuring something close to radiating body heat.  I don't see how they can effectively resolve this and it is one of the regrettably many metrics my ToJ can record which are either turned off or ignored by me because of what I consider to be Garmin's idiosyncratic nature.