Author Topic: Seeing the sights when on tour  (Read 5599 times)

Re: Seeing the sights when on tour
« Reply #25 on: 30 March, 2021, 12:40:35 pm »
Its happening everywhere, the Lithium mining/extraction has killed off another wilderness area. The Atacama, Altiplano and Salars are probably all tarmac now. Who said electric cars are eco, just moves the pollution somewhere else. Glad we went when the routes over the Andes were still dirt roads. They are talking about a ferry /road link between O Higgins and El Chalten.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #26 on: 30 March, 2021, 12:45:48 pm »
It does seem to be a UK thing. When abroad everyone seems to leave all their stuffs on their bikes when they go for a wander round the sights. In the Uk I've had saddles nicked, even a cheap plastic one while in Sainsbury's for 10 minutes, tyres slashed, and even a frame bent.

I stayed in Switzerland on what was basically a council estate (Switzerland is ridiculously expensive) with drunken chavs wandering through all night. The host told me not to bring the bike inside (which I ignored once he'd left) and pointed at a bike parking area with one of those curly wheel bender stand things. There were a number of mid-priced bikes in it with cheap locks through the quick-release front wheel. They were all still there in the morning.

On another occasion I stayed in Greece. The hotel owner said "Just leave it there, against the wall, it will still be there tomorrow". I am 100% sure that was true, nothing else was locked up and was all untouched the next day, though I insisted he open the garage for me.

Didn't Chris Bell have his panniers stolen in Italy?
The one held all his cancer drugs and after an appeal was returned the following day, but not the other pannier. He was doing a charity ride for children's cancer treatment
This bloke in Austria>> also had cancer drugs in his panniers. They were returned, but not the panniers or the rest of the contents, before he woke up. Ironically, he said they were the only thing with any real cash value (basically morphine).
I was thinking it must be great for pretending you're in a Bond movie!

Does that only happen if touring in the UK, only one fuel bottle stolen over the years.
I think you've quoted the wrong post there!

Relevant to the one you probably meant to answer:
Must be a great view of someone stealing your panniers from up there.
it's never happened to me but I heard of a bloke who had his entire luggage (but not the bike) stolen overnight at a campsite somewhere in Austria.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #27 on: 30 March, 2021, 12:53:21 pm »
Why do people highlight the negatives of life :hand:

« Reply #28 on: 30 March, 2021, 01:07:09 pm »
This was the route from the Salta region over to Antofagasta/ Arica ports. That days traffic a convoy of 3 lorries , and a couple of jeeps.

« Reply #29 on: 30 March, 2021, 03:06:21 pm »
Do people really leave loaded touring bikes unattended?

I know of someone who had everything stolen on a round the world bike tour whilst they were in a supermarket... So, yes

« Reply #30 on: 31 March, 2021, 09:37:10 am »
Do people really leave loaded touring bikes unattended?

I know of someone who had everything stolen on a round the world bike tour whilst they were in a supermarket... So, yes

So tell us the details and who it was or is all this just scaremongering. An excuse for not going out and seeing the world?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #31 on: 31 March, 2021, 09:49:35 am »
HK had her S&S Roberts and saddlebag stolen while she sprinted through a Southampton supermarket for a snack, secured by a cafe lock and under the nose of the security guard.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #32 on: 31 March, 2021, 11:15:54 am »
My brother in law could not believe i would leave a 6k  carbon race bike in the back garden overnight. He lives in Chichester, England must be full of thiefs. Hardly anyone up here has a cafe lock.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #34 on: 01 April, 2021, 10:37:40 am »
Thanks for the link. Nice bike, And its sparkling in the 2pics. One thing we do is never clean the muck off, it can turn turn to dust. It's just the chain thats looked after. Perhaps thats why it was stolen, who would want to steal a touring bike covered in crap. The one who took it may have.though he was sponsored and everything would be replaced?

« Reply #35 on: 01 April, 2021, 11:18:55 am »
The young man who has this bike has over 2000kms in his legs started in Buenos Aires . He knows that you don't tour on a bike that stands out. Never had any issues travelling alone.

« Reply #36 on: 01 April, 2021, 11:43:01 am »
And another tourist, been on the road for 2 years. Look at the bike and how he is dressed, he is from Belgium and not short of a bob or 2. Loving every day away on the bike going round South America.

« Reply #37 on: 02 April, 2021, 10:50:07 am »
Rawlins jail tour and you could sit in the electric chair, a day off going down the Great Divide.

« Reply #38 on: 06 April, 2021, 08:51:33 pm »
Left tandem at the ferry terminal, then up on cable car to see the view.

« Reply #39 on: 08 April, 2021, 09:46:17 am »
https://abc.net.au/news/2021-04-01/charlie-condell-reunited-with-bike-two-years-after-stolen/13285622

If you read this he may well have his bike back again. Crowd funding helped with his his replacement bike. Couple of bikes now.

« Reply #40 on: 12 April, 2021, 10:12:09 am »
   When you see people dressed like this , stop and view the parade. Spanish town in carnival mode